Experience with this DIY DAC ?

MMmm hope someone can help me
I have version 2 of the DAC with UTC-20 transformers that have been working great, until the other day when the right channel stopped working.
I checked the signal continuity with a multimeter and everything is normal, I can readings from the DAC to the Transformer and from the transformer to the RCA connection. any ideas ???

If you have signal at the RCAs how can it not be working? Check the rest of your system, especially your interconnects.

How did you fix that?

Right now I have them on a different(no-upsampling, no USB, no Toslink) board. There was a problem with the other board.
Both are outputting 5V and it sounds very good.
Strange thing is that I tried disconnecting one STR and to be honest I didn't notice any difference in sound. Unless neither is actually working and the DAC is being powered by the one remaining LM317. I would have to try disconnecting the other one to see.
Does this make sense?

Right now I have them on a different(no-upsampling, no USB, no Toslink) board. There was a problem with the other board.
Both are outputting 5V and it sounds very good.
Strange thing is that I tried disconnecting one STR and to be honest I didn't notice any difference in sound. Unless neither is actually working and the DAC is being powered by the one remaining LM317. I would have to try disconnecting the other one to see.
Does this make sense?

That's great news. I have been swamped at work, but I look forward to finishing completing mine and getting them installed on the DAC.

If you have signal at the RCAs how can it not be working? Check the rest of your system, especially your interconnects.

Bill I have tried using different interconnects and it cannot be these as I can use them on the other channel and they work fine ? I have also tried it on 3 other systems with the same effect.

I connect the multimeter to the end of the RCA lead or connection, and the other all the way to the transformer, and continuity is perfect. I Then connect the multimeter from the Transformer to the DAC and reading perfect.

I Have not however tried taking a reading with the power connected, should I do this ?? also is it a good idea to discharge the transformers and if so howz this done.

Bill I have tried using different interconnects and it cannot be these as I can use them on the other channel and they work fine ? I have also tried it on 3 other systems with the same effect.

I connect the multimeter to the end of the RCA lead or connection, and the other all the way to the transformer, and continuity is perfect. I Then connect the multimeter from the Transformer to the DAC and reading perfect.

I Have not however tried taking a reading with the power connected, should I do this ?? also is it a good idea to discharge the transformers and if so howz this done.

Sorry, I misread your post. Play something, put your meter on AC volts and check for a signal across the leads coming from the dac chip. It should bounce around with the music. If not I would look for a bad solder joint or board damage.

I'm getting 5V output on both regs.

On the 8416 I'm getting:
PIN 21 = 3.3V(schematic shows 5.0V)
PIN 23 = 3.3V
PIN 6 = 3.3V

On the 4398 I'm getting:
PIN 8 = 3.3V
PIN 22 = 5.0V

When I get the spare board I'll trace out the power traces to see what is feeding what. Your 3.3v reading on the 8416 might be backfed through the chip to pin 21. You could pull the 8416 and check again on the socket.

When I get the spare board I'll trace out the power traces to see what is feeding what. Your 3.3v reading on the 8416 might be backfed through the chip to pin 21. You could pull the 8416 and check again on the socket.
You had me worried there for a while,Mc Crackers..;)
So I dissconnected the middle one of my salas regs,the music dissapeared and no +5v to the 4398,and I do 2 have 3,3v at the pin 21 of 8416 (with all the regulators working),but I have +5v at pin 1..and if I dissconnect the salas reg connected beside the middle one (not the USB reg,otherside)the music stops and there´s no +5v at pin 1 on 8416.And if I disconnect the USB reg the music
continues to play.So if the musik still plays when you disconnect the 2 regs you must still be having +5v there somehowe..:confused:

Last edited:
I have the same Jensen transformers you are using and wondered what cap value and resistor values are you using? I also have the same type Relcap caps left over from another DIY job but they are .01uf which won't work I believe.

How do you like the sound with the Jensens? I haven't purchased the Giga Dac yet, just got the transformers.

Thanks much

I have the same Jensen transformers you are using and wondered what cap value and resistor values are you using? I also have the same type Relcap caps left over from another DIY job but they are .01uf which won't work I believe.

How do you like the sound with the Jensens? I haven't purchased the Giga Dac yet, just got the transformers.

Thanks much
I replied to your PM

I can't explain it but I double checked and everything is as previously stated for 8416. This is with one or both regs connected.
PIN 21 = 3.3V
PIN 23 = 3.3V
PIN 6 = 3.3V

I was concerned about the 3.3V on PIN21 but I asked someone who has a brand new board(no mods) to check and he is also getting 3.3V at PIN21.
Would the fact that I have no upsampling, USB or optical circuits on this board make a difference?

Last edited: