• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Exciting new line of fullrange drivers from Feastrex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi William,
thanks for your advice.
The reason why I was considering the front horn option is that I will finally move in a bigger place where I should "fill" a room of 80 squared meter with high ceiling (4+ meters) and I fear that the OB option to be a bit "light" especially with low power SE tube amplis ( I have a 300B and a 45 Yamamoto).
Do you think that an OB would do in such a room? If so..what sizes would you suggest for the baffle and for the bass driver(s)?

Cheers
Roberto

Hi Roberto,

I must say you have quite a huge room and very high celings as well. Unfortunately I don't have much experience with Feastrex in OB configurations.. but I would think the Basszilla type approach would be fine in your room..

Black Dahlia Acoustics - Loudspeaker Kit Plans

Another approach you can look into is the Feastrex in the standard BR cabinet but add a subwoofer.. This combination if done right can also sound really good.

Cheers,

William

whew. finished reading all 187 pages.

i still remain very fascinated by the feastrex sound. how i wished i knew this sound earlier so i wouldnt have spent on a pair of harbeth shl-5s.

william, mind letting me know the prices of the 5" dnf field coil and possibly the price of the pb9 radiator as well? time to start budgeting..

whew. finished reading all 187 pages.

i still remain very fascinated by the feastrex sound. how i wished i knew this sound earlier so i wouldnt have spent on a pair of harbeth shl-5s.

william, mind letting me know the prices of the 5" dnf field coil and possibly the price of the pb9 radiator as well? time to start budgeting..

Thanks.. just sent you a PM.....:)

Joined 2008
Paid Member
And so it begins...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Testing the drivers (ALL OK!)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

They need a home (coming soon).

Will keep you guys updated.

Huge thanks to William (BTW) for hooking me up. Great bloke :)

And here are some random photos I took when I visited feastrex Japan.

Me with designer and president of Feastrex. What a great experience it was :)

Will post more photos soon

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Hi,

My pair are the D5NF model with urushi phase plugs.

My cabinet dimensions are slightly different then the outdated ones on the website. I was sent the updated cabinet plans from Hal Teramoto after listening to them while in Japan. I have a basic pdf file of it. If anyone is interested, drop me a pm with your email and I can send it over.

Have done a few tweaks with great noticeable improvements. First one was swapping the polarities around. Soundstage and bass has just opened up to another level.

Second tweak was sticking sound dampening strips internally around the bass port. Cleaner bass was noticed (less boom).

Third tweak was using wooden pyramid cones underneath the speaker and adding a heavy weight (10kg) on top of the speaker. Cleaned the bass up a bit more again.

I'm really loving these speakers. They are definite keepers ! (unless a pair of nf5ex comes up!) What I love about them is they are so fast and resolve so much detail. Reminds me of electrostats in speed but with more lower and midrange weight and body. The coherency from the single point driver, no crossover and neutral sounding presentation(problem that most full rangers don't have) makes it such a big winner in eyes!

Happy days!

Hi,

My pair are the D5NF model with urushi phase plugs.

My cabinet dimensions are slightly different then the outdated ones on the website. I was sent the updated cabinet plans from Hal Teramoto after listening to them while in Japan. I have a basic pdf file of it. If anyone is interested, drop me a pm with your email and I can send it over.

Have done a few tweaks with great noticeable improvements. First one was swapping the polarities around. Soundstage and bass has just opened up to another level.

Second tweak was sticking sound dampening strips internally around the bass port. Cleaner bass was noticed (less boom).

Third tweak was using wooden pyramid cones underneath the speaker and adding a heavy weight (10kg) on top of the speaker. Cleaned the bass up a bit more again.

I'm really loving these speakers. They are definite keepers ! (unless a pair of nf5ex comes up!) What I love about them is they are so fast and resolve so much detail. Reminds me of electrostats in speed but with more lower and midrange weight and body. The coherency from the single point driver, no crossover and neutral sounding presentation(problem that most full rangers don't have) makes it such a big winner in eyes!

Happy days!

Dear tuyen,

I have just given it a try,swapping the polarities of my NF5ex around,things happened just like what you said.

Thank you!

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Hi Chan, I'll try take some photos for you on the weekend!

I have emailed you the updated cabinet plans as provided by Hal.

Please note that it doesn't show the rear access panel or the crossbrace that the original plans had. I'm not sure if Hal was in a rush and didn't add that part in (just wanted to show me the updated outside dimensions) or if it was done on purpose. Need to clarify with him.

Noising 2010 - NF5EX

We had a Diy audio exhibition yesterday and I brought the NF5EX .. here a picture of the event..

DSC07256a.jpg

A short video of the Delite amplifer with the NF5Ex playing a track form M&K's Flamenco Fever..

YouTube - Feastrex D5nf Field-Coil + Nelson Pass's Delite (JFET version) + Felipe De Rosa's Alguen Canto

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.