• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Exciting new line of fullrange drivers from Feastrex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Granada at CES

CES_GranadaSm.jpg

Hi All,

The Granada Loudspeaker received a brilliant reception at CES this year!:

"...the sound was the best I have ever heard in a demo room. Detail extraction, soundstaging, 3D imaging, naturalness, and conveyance of emotion - no matter what audiophile attribute I listened for it was absolutely superb. No matter what type of music I played - complex orchestral, heavy metal, bombastic soundtracks, violin sonatas, acoustic guitar, and female vocals - the system delivered incredible natural and realistic sound. No, it was not the same as attending a live performance, but close enough that if I could have that sound in my listening room I would be tempted to not renew my season tickets for the symphony." Roger Gordon - Positive-Feedback Online Issue 47

"As it was at CES, the Lotus Group Granada was a model of neutrality. Even though it was digitizing analog sources via its DSP crossover (which not only crosses over the woofers to the Feastrex via fourth-order slopes but also eq's each driver and provides sophisticated room correction), it still managed to reproduce Joan Baez's voice and guitar on "Gospel Ship" with exceptionally natural timbre. Oh, maybe it was subtracting a little bit of the most delicate tremolo from Joanie's soprano, but it wasn't subtracting anything else. What it was doing that so many other speakers weren't was sounding flat, uncolored, and utterly coherent. This essentially three-driver two-way speaker ...needs a review in TAS. Robert named it "Best of Show" at RMAF (and I named it a runner-up), and it was a strong contender again at CES." Jonathan Valin - AVguide January 12, 2010

"I just wanted to send a follow-up note to thank you again for the opportunity to join you, as it were, for the last bit of the show. I am extremely pleased that you enjoyed the VRE-1 preamp, and I must say that I was terrifically impressed with your Granada speaker. I heard some qualities in that system ...that I am not used to hearing in almost any system, regardless of price. The system was able to transcend the whole "Hi-Fi" genre to some degree, and began to suggest actual live music! That is quite an accomplishment, and I am delighted to have been able to contribute to it." Steve McCormack - SMc

This was the first show where we took full advantage of the Granada's DSP crossover. Our engineer, Manny LaCarrubba, took careful measurements and spent quite a lot of time calibrating the speaker to the room. We were quite pleased with the result.

The preamp we had intended to use turned out to be not available so we had to borrow one at last minute. What seemed like misfortune at the outset, turned into great good fortune, as we had a chance to audition several highly rated preamplifiers and were able to identify by the third day of the show one that is clearly in a class by itself in terms of absolute realism, impact and slam, tonal balance, solidity and overall musicality - the SMc VRE-1.

Steve McCormack brought this preamp to us on Saturday evening, and by Sunday morning after a night of burn in, it brought all of our efforts into focus. A further revelation was to be had when Mr. Teramoto brought his personal prototype upgraded power supply for the field coil drivers for us to try out. The results were ineffible! How does one describe such an improvement in quality, especially when the starting point was already at the cutting edge? The foundation had already been laid by the Granada itself in combination with the VRE-1, The Hanss T-60 Turntable and PA-60 Phono Preamplifier along with their CD-20 CD player, PranaWire cabling and the illustrious Pass Labs XA 30.5 amplifiers, Oyaide plugs and receptacles, Acoustic Revive cables and accessories, Audio Replas accessories and Spike Sound Will magnetic levitation devices. Each element in the system had its role to play in establishing a ground of reference. The upgraded power supply taught us not to be complacent, but to reach for the ultimate, as it demonstrated that it is attainable. I will venture to say that those who had the opportunity to hear this were left shaking their heads and stuttering to find the words to describe what they were hearing. I know I was.

Since I only heard resonance in the cabinet once during a very heavy bass passage I haven't added dampening material to the cabinet yet. Although I plan on eventually adding a thin layer of dampening material to the inside of the back panel to elminate this problem.

The cabinet was somewhat designed around the manufacturer's recommended cabinet and scaled to 70 liters with a onken twist. I haven't heard the manufacturer's cabinet, so I cannot make a direct comparison. However, I am extremely pleased with this onken cabinet, especially considering it was my first build. I have the Feastrex 10, 12 and 15 V power supply. Bass response is clearly best at 15 V.

Congratulations on your success. That's very impressive for a first build. It provided a very good alternative to the bass reflex design. Can you show the internal dimensions of the cabinet? As for the resonance, adding dampening materials will surely help but I'm worried that there might be side effects which could affect the speed and resolution of the sound. How about bracing the cabinet?

Here is a picture of the first enclosure that I built for my D5e type II drivers. I designed the internal volume of the cabinets to be 70 liters. As the volume is increased the bass deepens and the speakers really come alive. Feastrex rules!

hi Beastrex

I am reading this tread quite a long time and saving founds for set of spkrs
in the same time ;-0

post few reflections about how it sounds in your recalculated Onken bins ?
they looks very sophisticated ,nice proportions ,believe that lovely burl veneer could switch them into an art object :)

txs

greg:cheers:

Just to feedback...I've been spending quite a bit of time lately listening and tweaking the Feastrex designed boxs.. The Feastrex drivers really like very rigid cabinets... I added 3 more horizontal braces per cabinet and additional bituman damping material on cabinet walls and the improvements are HUGE.. I may build a Maiko2 next year to see how it sounds but at this moment I'll just like to share.... Paying attention to bracing and improving the rigidity of the cabinets is the way to go to get the max out of the Feastrex drivers.

Hi BTW,

I'm owning a pair of Nf 5ex,just want to know what kind of material you used for bracing your cabinet.

Best Regards

Hi BTW,

I'm owning a pair of Nf 5ex,just want to know what kind of material you used for bracing your cabinet.

Best Regards

I just got my carpenter to put 3 sets of 1" cross-section wood beams per cabinet to secure front to back and ... side to side. Recently, a friend of mine got the carpenter to mount a rectangular piece 3/4" thick plywood with a recangular hole cut out.. instead of just using a single 1" wod beam... I think this approach is even better.

I just got my carpenter to put 3 sets of 1" cross-section wood beams per cabinet to secure front to back and ... side to side. Recently, a friend of mine got the carpenter to mount a rectangular piece 3/4" thick plywood with a recangular hole cut out.. instead of just using a single 1" wod beam... I think this approach is even better.

Thank you,I'll give it a try.

Onken cabinet dimensions

Hi everyone,
Here are the dimensions for my onken speaker cabinet. All dimensions are in inches and are based on using 13 ply baltic birch plywood with nominal thickness of 11/16".
For one speaker you will need.
(2) top and bottom: 16x12
(2) sides: 34x15-5/16
(1) back: 34x12
(1) front: 34x7-13/16 (definitely the most important cut. if any of the cuts are off it maybe necessary to slightly adjust the width of this board to ensure that everything fits together tightly)
(2) internal wings: 34x11-3/4
(10) internal fins: 2x11-3/4 (equidistantly spaced every 4").
--Beastrex

Does anyone know the female connector (brand and model) that should be used to connect the power supply to the threaded male connector that is mounted on the periphery of the field coil drivers? Thanks, Beastrex

Hi,

Think it's probably a Japan Standard type connectors.. Check with your Feastrex dealer.... I ordered a spare wire harness/connector set last year as I wanted to try my D9e in another cabinet...

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Mr Teramoto has send me the updated cabinet plans on his recommended BR box for the 5" drivers. It's very simple with no internal bracing. Slightly different dimensions to the br plans currently on the feastrex website.

I did have a listen to the d5nf and the d5e type III in revised br cabinet and indeed it was nice. He did show me these little wooden pyramid pieces that was used to stand the boxes on and showed me the difference they had to the sound. The mid/bass was cleaner and tighter. We also tried these little quartz crystals under the cabinets and bass was bit stronger but less tight. He gave me a bag of the crystals to take back home to play with. Said it works good on other components too (cdp, amp, etc).

I took some photos of my visit, I will upload them soon :)

Mr Teramoto has send me the updated cabinet plans on his recommended BR box for the 5" drivers. It's very simple with no internal bracing. Slightly different dimensions to the br plans currently on the feastrex website.

I did have a listen to the d5nf and the d5e type III in revised br cabinet and indeed it was nice. He did show me these little wooden pyramid pieces that was used to stand the boxes on and showed me the difference they had to the sound. The mid/bass was cleaner and tighter. We also tried these little quartz crystals under the cabinets and bass was bit stronger but less tight. He gave me a bag of the crystals to take back home to play with. Said it works good on other components too (cdp, amp, etc).

I took some photos of my visit, I will upload them soon :)

Wow, I'm sure you had a great time there.... Really look forward to the photos.....:)

Front Horn and fullrangers

Hi,
has anyone tried the DN5 in a 2 way configuration similar to the following?

azurahorn / 160 mk1 at VSAC.jpg

the horn has a 160htz acoustical cut off and I would like to xover elecrically to the bass section around 200/250 hertz.

Any advice, experience, or doubt to share?
Thanks
Roberto

Hi Roberto,

I'm very familiar with the Azura Front Horn... A good friend of mine has a pair.. and we have tried lots of fullrangers on the Azura... I've not had a chance to try the Feastrex on the Azura.. but so far the best results we got with the Azura ... was with Lowther and the Exact driver... The Front horn rolls off the highs a bit, so a fullranger with a slight rising highs like the Lowther and Exact will do very well.. For fullrangers without that rising highs... front horn loading it will cause the highs to roll off even earlier... so might need to put a super tweeter to bring back the sparkle in the highs.

For the D5nf if you want to try this multi-driver approach... The simple OB set-up would be a much better, superior and cheaper approach.

Cheers,

William

Hi William,
thanks for your advice.
The reason why I was considering the front horn option is that I will finally move in a bigger place where I should "fill" a room of 80 squared meter with high ceiling (4+ meters) and I fear that the OB option to be a bit "light" especially with low power SE tube amplis ( I have a 300B and a 45 Yamamoto).
Do you think that an OB would do in such a room? If so..what sizes would you suggest for the baffle and for the bass driver(s)?

Cheers
Roberto

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.