• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Exciting new line of fullrange drivers from Feastrex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: New Cab

kmaier said:
Mike,

Thanks for the feedback... now it looks like I have to add a pair of the NF5ex drivers to my list... ugh, not cheap. Any idea on the sensitivity? More or less than the D5nf driver? Have you varied the voltage much on these and if so what sonic differences are there?

I plan on building a new pair of Freddie cabinets. The latest design update has the driver mounted up higher by 2.5 inches. Just not sure of the wood yet... first pair was solid red oak.

Regards, KM

Kevin,

I saw the photos of those--they really looked nice. I can't recall now, but did you say that you had resonance problems with them because of the oak? I haven't heard any other Freddies besides these pine ones that Rich made, so there's nothing I can compare them against, but they sound great to me.

As for the NF5ex drivers, I'm sorry but so far I've just been enjoying their great sound and haven't been doing any critical audiophile comparisons, so I don't really have conclusive, useful answers for you. I've never seen any figures on the sensitivity (it's not included in the latest T/S data we got recently), and I can't really tell myself. (I just changed the position of my volume knob, so now I'm not familiar with the volume settings I used to use for certain songs.) I think that they have a little higher sensitivity but I could be wrong. Chris, do you happen to know?

As for the voltage setting, I have changed it but I always did it myself, and the PSU is far away from my listening spot so I can't really tell what the effect is. I need to enlist the help of my wife or a friend to change voltage while I'm listening to a song. I know that Mr. Teramoto often changed the voltage at RMAF depending on the type of music, so I'm assuming that there must be a significant effect to an experienced audiophile's ears.

So, I'm sorry that I can't give you much helpful information. I can at least tell you that I think they have noticeably more bass than the D5nf drivers. Also, I think they have more "authority" as well. And I think that vocals sound better and even more realistic than they do on the D5nf drivers (and the D5nf drivers are really great with vocals). In short, I think they sound significantly better than the D5nf drivers. But I'm hesitant to say all this because I'm still a noob when it comes to audio. (Also, as I experienced numerous times at RMAF last year and this year, if you ask any two audiophiles to compare speakers, you'll get at least three vehemently opposed opinions!) So, please take my opinion with a grain of salt. Or, ymmv.

Mike

Re: Re: New Cab

kmaier said:

I always enjoy France.... wine, food, art, etc.

Regards, KM

Funny, I just said *exactly* the same thing to Chris in an email yesterday. In addition to those things, I also love French films and French music. Especially the music of the beautiful and multi-talented Carla Bruni. She sounds absolutely stunning on these new drivers. As I told Chris, no one can do 5ex better than her!

;)

Mike

Re: Re: Re: New Cab

mluckow said:

Carla Bruni . . . no one can do 5ex better than her!

Yeah, I suppose anyone who sings a song called "you are my 0rgy" must do "5ex" pretty well . . . I don't care how beautiful and multi-talented someone might be, if they're romantically involved with a national politician (or even if they're just married to one), I don't think I could bear to listen to their music with any sense of enjoyment. How's that for prejudiced?

I do however, greatly enjoy Handel's Waterboarding Music. :D

-- Chris

Chris, Mike,

I dunno... people who talk (sing) about it usually aren't getting it... but Politicians are unusually good at it... usually aimed at the public :D

On another note, you should pick up the book "Bach, Beethoven and the Boys". A humorously written book about the classical composers... a good read. Author David Barber has two other titles out as well... all are fun.

Regarding the solid oak Freddy, I did manage to see a bit of motion in a glass of red wine set on top while some kicking rock was playing... but in general, they are extremely solid. They are solid 3/4-inch thick red oak and internally braced well. Sound just has some serious power.

I think the slightly updated change (driver at the top) and a "cross" brace inside would probably make them even more rigid. The next pair will have an inset back that's not removable and mitered corners all around. I'm even thinking a stair-step bottom just for the aesthetics.

Mike, thanks for the additional feedback... you're making me more itchy for a pair now. It will be interesting to see how the field coil drivers fare over time as they tend to generate heat and can run quite warm. This has to have some affect on the suspension, cone, surround and of course, the wood enclosure.

Regards, KM

Re: C'est une vie de chien

cdwitmer said:
As if you needed any more evidence, here is the ultimate proof that being a Feastrex owner is a dog's life:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This also proves that if France didn't already exist, it would be necessary to invent it. :D

-- Chris
Are the speakers really that big? The dogs look full grown.

Re: Re: Re: Re: New Cab

cdwitmer said:

I don't care how beautiful and multi-talented someone might be, if they're romantically involved with a national politician (or even if they're just married to one), I don't think I could bear to listen to their music with any sense of enjoyment. How's that for prejudiced?

-- Chris

Yes, sadly, Carla Bruni's husband is indeed a politician (the president of France). But please don't hold him against her (that's his job). Imho, she has the sexiest voice of any singer, alive or dead, and Sarkozy just has to share her with all of us.

Mike

wow

That is really funny!

cool art project! I am sure it sounds good. BTW, not to be a butthole, but those photos reek of photoshop... Is there a website? is this legit?

Speaking of dogs,

The "Annabelle NF" renamed now the "Oniyama NF" (Naturflux dragonfly) after my favorite insect in Yamanashi during my visit. It is still dedicated to annabelle, my 14 year old corgi.

cdwitmer said:

No, actually, they're on the ceiling. I accidentally posted the pics upside down.

Seriously, I assume they are functioning as subwoofers and I doubt the low placement is going to be much of an issue. However I should also add that I have not heard any report at all on how these sound . . .

-- Chris
Well, either the dog is barking or yawning.

:D

Re: wow

blumenco said:

The "Annabelle NF" renamed now the "Oniyama NF" (Naturflux dragonfly) after my favorite insect in Yamanashi during my visit. It is still dedicated to annabelle, my 14 year old corgi.

WELL, NOW YOU CAN HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT IT TOO.

By the way, when transliterated into English, it's usually Oniyanma.

-- Chris

P.S. Does that name mean you plan to finish it in black, yellow, and green urushi lacquer?

Re: chris

blumenco said:
oniyanma. otherwise it would be "devil mountain" or something like that right?

Yeah, if it was oni-yama it would be devil mountain. But it's "devil yanma" -- yanma being the Japanese word for large dragonflies.

The first of the Chinese characters shown above is read by the Japanese as "oni" meaning demon or devil. That pronunciation has nothing to do with the original Chinese pronunciation of that character, by the way -- it would be much the same if we decided we were going to use that Chinese character in English and pronounce it as "devil." The second two characters together are pronounced yanma by the Japanese and although I know those characters are also used to represent dragonflies in the Chinese language (thanks, Google!), I suspect that the Chinese pronunciation is probably entirely different . . . not that I speak Chinese but usually the right-hand side of a Chinese character will give a hint as to how it is pronounced and nothing in either character suggests that it would be anything near to "yanma" in Chinese. So it is probably a typically Japanese expropriation of Chinese characters to represent Japanese words.

Enough for today's Japanese lesson . . .

So, how are these devilish enclosures coming along? When can we look forward to a progress report?

-- Chris

Re: Re: chris

cdwitmer said:

...The second two characters together are pronounced yanma by the Japanese and although I know those characters are also used to represent dragonflies in the Chinese language (thanks, Google!), I suspect that the Chinese pronunciation is probably entirely different . . . not that I speak Chinese but usually the right-hand side of a Chinese character will give a hint as to how it is pronounced and nothing in either character suggests that it would be anything near to "yanma" in Chinese. So it is probably a typically Japanese expropriation of Chinese characters to represent Japanese words.

-- Chris
Ching Ting(rise in tone on the second word which we refer to as the second tone)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.