• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Exciting new line of fullrange drivers from Feastrex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Kinda reminds me of the BIB I built two years ago... long path

There is a similarity as the Nessie type boxes tend to be tuned very low. Not speaking Japanese, it's pure conjecture, but I suspect the originals at any rate were 1/2 wavelength tuned with the fold at ~1/3 length.

Just re-read that original post of Chris's. If that whole damned thing's finished with urushi laquer, inside & out, I don't think I want to know the cost. ;) I want a pair though. I don't care what they sound like; I just want them as a piece of design.

One of these days, I'm going to get vengence... I'm going to strip a Lowther, replace the voice-coil with a hand-wound 800ohm version and the phase plug with one of my own design made of solid holly. This I shall coat with a varnish incorporating birch-sap, hand tapped & triple refined. The driver will then go into a Voigt style horn made from solid native Elm and Scots Pine, coated on all surfaces with a dozen hand-rubbed layers of the aforementioned varnish, polished with pure heather-beeswax, and strategically damped with high-quality long-hair wool. All materials will be from small local independant suppliers in the Scottish borders.

Scottmoose said:

If that whole damned thing's finished with urushi laquer, inside & out, I don't think I want to know the cost. ;) I want a pair though. I don't care what they sound like; I just want them as a piece of design.

When you place your order, be sure and order a urushi laquered handmade pen for folks to sign the audition guest list with, for surely, if you can afford the speakers, you can afford the accessories at a mere fraction of the cost ;): http://web.archive.org/web/20040611115520/http://www.nakaya.org/eproduct.html

GM

Alive and well

BIB in TV viewing room...
BIB with WAF shields aka grill cloth
Fostex 109

Attachments

• bib .jpg
    bib .jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 792
A few interesting facts on urushi lacquer in general and the enclosures shown above in particular:

Urushi goes through several stages of curing. Typically, it becomes quite strong and solid after about two months, but it will actually continue to gradually gain in strength and hardness for the next 20 years or so.

Mr. Teramoto tells me that excavated wooden lacquerware items from several thousand years ago have had the wood decay so that it was no longer what you could call wood anymore, but the lacquer itself was still in very good shape.

Mr. Makoto Tanaka, the creator of the above enclosures, will, along with any urushi craftsman worthy of the name, continue to maintain urushi lacquer ware from previous centuries. (The basic idea with urushi is that it is designed to last for centuries.)

The tree from which urushi comes will typically yield about 250ml of sap per year. A tree will typically have a useful life of about 10 or 20 years.

In Japan, the typical method for calculating the cost of an urushi lacquerware item is to take the price of the urushi lacquer material used in production and multiply it by 100. This reflects the amount of labor that goes into the production.

The above enclosures are lacquered inside and out; to do the inside it is necessary to apply the lacquer to each piece before assembly. The outside is, of course done after assembly.

A tremendous amount of work goes into preparing the surface. Each layer of urushi involves a lot of work, and an item like this has had 20 layers of urushi lacquer applied. (Lacquerware that conceals the grain of the wood is even thicker, involving the application of many more layers.)

The wood pieces in this enclosure are so large that it was not possible to do them with the usual approach, which calls for a single continuous stroke of the brush from one end of the item to the other. This time it was necessary to do it in two strokes. But Mr. Tanaka has done such a masterful job of application that even he can't tell where the strokes were joined together.

Mr. Tanaka will be at RMAF so interested parties can ask him more questions. (An interpreter will be available.)

-- Chris

Boxes good

The boxes look so good...
What about the driver numbers?
How long can I get along without the basics?
Is there a great reason to not publish... the specs?
I have no desire to shoot myself in the foot...
Nor stick my neck out of a speeding train...
My time is short and saw blades are getting dull as I whine.

In my home live... 4 Feastrex Drivers... a pair of 5Dnf's and a pair of 9Dnf's.
And I want to order others... but

Phil
Santa Fe

Bunpei said:
Does anyone propose a good nickname of the exclosures?
Their producer, Mr. Tanaka, is wanting an English one.

How about "Zakuro"? (It's the Japanese word for pomegranate.) It's not an English word, but all the elements of this speaker are Japanese, so it seems appropriate to use a Japanese name. Japanese words (especially names) are becoming more popular outside Japan these days.

Also, these speakers are similiar in color to a pomegranate.

Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.