Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I've used this quite extensively. It would work well. It would have to be 7-1/8"" deep.

B&C Speakers

A 12 in coax is much too big for a wall mount Cornu. I would suggest something along the lines of a 6.5 inch coax (same size class as a FF165WK) like this one from B&C if that is what you are after. Needs a little over 4 in clearance.

B&C Speakers

It will require a XO or active bi-amp but it sure would be loud. Also, with a 105dB sensitive CD horn, you will not have a problem with the Cornu being too bass heavy.

file

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Cal made a 28 inch one for the 125WK which was bass heavy, i kinda missed someone else making a 36 incher for anything except cal :D

As for the sim i'd say it doesn't look that bass heavy, doesn't it?

my alternatives would be:

the alpair 10.3 which looks more bassy to me then the 165WK

the FE166EN which looks really nice in the sim, but i'm afraid it'll lack bass like the FE103EN and has a small xmax...

any advice? :confused: or perhaps there's some other driver i missed which would work really well in a 36inch cornu?

Don't worry about. Build the 36 in FF165WK - you can always suppress excess bass with stuffing. Can't go the other way though so not really a problem.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
A Tang Band W5-1611 also can work well in a 36 in x 5 in Cornu. Hard to say what is better - depends on your preferences for how much high end air, forwardness, bass articulation etc you prefer. I have not built any big Cornu's so cannot give you any more than a recommendation based on a simulation.

I think if you are into high SPL and slam with sparkling highs, a 6.5 in coax like the B&C 6FXH51 (or the Nd magnet version the 6HX51) would be very interesting in a 42in x 5in Cornu.

Last edited:
Anyone try multi drivers in a cornu?

The idea is hardly novel, and I am likely influenced by being a Bose 901 addict. However, it occurs to me that only single drivers seem to be considered for this or similar full range projects. Why? While I don't doubt that great sounds are achieved by a good (e.g. Fostex) FR driver and the right enclosure, be it made of mahogany or poster board, why not try dual or more drivers? Among many options, at the least it would allow two independent drivers and paths (horns) that would complement each other (Or is it "compliment"? My, what a nice frequency response you have today!) OK, there's the idea, now get cracking! :whip:

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Alpair 10.3 in 36 in x 5 in deep Cornu

I'm leaning towards the alpair 10.3

You can lean some more:) Just lean far enough to fall over and build it!'

Here are the sims for the A10.3 with some stuffing in the channels from the driver chamber to the bifurcation. If you amp is capable of driving freq lower than 40 Hz you may want to be careful with either high pass or limit power as excursion is runaway at lower frequencies. Looks pretty decent though as Cornu goes and the A10.3 has some enhanced HF's that will help to balance out the bass. Keep in mind that the Alpairs have very thin metal cones that are susceptible to back wave reflection coloring the sound. You may want a conical sound deflector behind the driver magnet like in the Cornu patent to prevent this. Can be made of of a rolled up piece of foam core made to look like a conical funnel or "dunce hat".

Attachments

• Cornu-36x5-A10.3-Freq-1m.png
    Cornu-36x5-A10.3-Freq-1m.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 462
  • Cornu-36x5-A10.3-Displ.png
    Cornu-36x5-A10.3-Displ.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 430
  • Cornu-36x5-A10.3-Impedance.png
    Cornu-36x5-A10.3-Impedance.png
    25.6 KB · Views: 430
A Tang Band W5-1611 also can work well in a 36 in x 5 in Cornu. Hard to say what is better - depends on your preferences for how much high end air, forwardness, bass articulation etc you prefer. I have not built any big Cornu's so cannot give you any more than a recommendation based on a simulation.

I think if you are into high SPL and slam with sparkling highs, a 6.5 in coax like the B&C 6FXH51 (or the Nd magnet version the 6HX51) would be very interesting in a 42in x 5in Cornu.

What about these Tang Band speakers?

http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1230_04/w5-1701s.htm

So what is it, $30, $50, or $60 ea? Makes a difference.

A 24 in Cornu has been built with good success using the Tang Band W4-1320SIF's ($37 ea). Some minor mods to driver chamber will be needed to fit magnet in there - make chamber bigger by removing a few inches of the channel. In the same price range is the well-regarded MA CHR-70 that I believe can work well too based on sims - but have yet to hear any reports of anyone making a Cornu with it.

Other alternatives include the Faitail Pro 4FE35 ($25 ea) or 4FE32 ($37 ea). These are 91dB sensitive drivers with a smooth response. The 4FE32 has a Nd magnet so fitting the driver chamber should not be an issue. These drivers look ugly with a stamped steel inverted bezel meant for rearside mounting. That is their downside but they will probably sound very good and you have few other choices in the price with this high sensitivity.

I would go with the 4FE32 and be creative with a glued on grill cloth after the bezel is rebated or has a suprabaffle to smooth it out.

24 in x 4 in deep should do it.

$60 shipped for 2 drivers.

How would the RS-100 8ohm work, and what size box would be needed?

Dayton Audio RS100-8 4" Reference Full-Range Driver 8 Ohm

Cornu Spiral Horn looks like the most promising next speaker project for me. It is not if , but when :) Sigh, not so much free time these days... But, I am reading this thread and I see that it is going the same way as BiB did. Simple, gorgeous speaker with big sound.

That said, I have two pairs of drivers sitting in their boxes, waiting for better days: Fostex FE206e and CSS 125FR. While the CSS might end up as being too bass heavy in Cornu, Fostex might be a good candidate for a full-size drywall one :)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Cornu Spiral Horn looks like the most promising next speaker project for me. It is not if , but when :) Sigh, not so much free time these days... But, I am reading this thread and I see that it is going the same way as BiB did. Simple, gorgeous speaker with big sound.

That said, I have two pairs of drivers sitting in their boxes, waiting for better days: Fostex FE206e and CSS 125FR. While the CSS might end up as being too bass heavy in Cornu, Fostex might be a good candidate for a full-size drywall one :)

The FE206E will require a 50 inch x 5 inch deep Cornu in order for the driver to fit in the chamber. It will have bass extension to 32 Hz (-3dB) and about 90dB sensitivity. Go for it if you have the wall space! :D

Here is the predicted frequency response:

430665d1406718818-ever-think-building-cornu-spiral-horn-now-you-can-cornu7b-fe206e-freq-1m.png

Attachments

• Cornu7b-FE206E-Freq-1m.png
    Cornu7b-FE206E-Freq-1m.png
    27.1 KB · Views: 597
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Add a 12 mm thick suprabaffle to allow rebate and taper it off gradually so it blends in with rest of speaker baffle. It will rise a bit but with a nice shallow angle (circa 15 deg) chamfer should look good. That will save some weight vs a 12mm front baffle which will weigh a lot. I think the thick plastic bezels come off and the frame underneath is thinner, albeit, less attractive looking.

While the CSS might end up as being too bass heavy in Cornu, Fostex might be a good candidate for a full-size drywall one :)
Yes, the CSS would want a tweeter. I didn't even bother trying it.

I think Cal used 0.25 in thick underlayment flooring plywood - "Sureply" I believe - IIRC, about $15 a sheet for 4 ft x 8 ft.
Yes Sureply, 4x4 sheets. It's a tile underlay.

Another Cornu in the making

Hi all,

Thanks to X for helping me get started with building foam core speakers. I'm putting together a set of 50x50cm Cornus with a channel depth of 7.5cm, using the Vifa TC9FDs.

Foam core board not as affordable here in Oz (almost $10 a sheet), but all in all it's still worthwhile considering what you can produce with it.

I'm hopefully close to completing the first one. The spirals are all glued up, and soon I'll be mounting the binding posts, attaching the driver, and adding the stuffing.

My son is eagerly awaiting completion as the Cornus will find their permanent home in his play room. He's been asking me when he'll be able to listen and dance to some Cat Stevens songs!!!

SWMBO is actually interested in the project too. Being Ukrainian, I've managed to get the big nod of approval after she saw the blue & yellow coloured foam, which I plan to use for the baffle (baffle will be double thickness, since the coloured pieces will be glued to the standard white board).

Anyway, will post some more photos as I progress.

Thanks to X, Cal and the rest of the crowd for sharing such a fun project.

Cheers,
Pete

Attachments

• P1070174.JPG
    P1070174.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 402
  • P1070172.JPG
    P1070172.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 401
  • P1070175.JPG
    P1070175.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 409