Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can!

I have read a lot of the thread and I'm keen on giving it a try. Thank you all for a very interesting read and maybe project. I may get my hands on some Fostex 103 en. I have found some suggestions in the thread regarding the sizes. For Fostex I mostly read 29.5 in square with 4.5 in depth. Is that still the best suggestion regarding the frequency response or have there been developments I overlooked?
Thank you and best regards

Hi Tburg,
Welcome to the spiral world. I think the Foster 103 driver group makes an excellent candidate. As far as sizes goes, I'll let the likes of X give you the dimensions but if there's anything I learned in my life, a few inches can mean a world of difference. If you have room to bump it up to 32", I would not hesitate. The difference between the 27" and 36" units I built prevent me from building anything smaller now. Many of the unsettling bumps in the response are driven low enough as to add to the effect rather than the bloated, unnatural sound of the smaller units.

Wow, thank you all for the very fast replies. Well, if it's worth doing... 90 cm (35.4 in) * 13 cm (5.1 on) it will probably be. It will take a while though - too many ongoing projects at the moment and I will have to source the material here in germany. I will post pictures and impressions. For an alternative plan, what would be the best sizes for one bigger (Fostex FE 126 en)?
This is an awesome community here.
Cheers, T

Updates anyone?

None here but got an email tonight from diyaudio since I was watching this thread TWO YEARS AGO. No idea why tonight I unexpectedly got an email but it brought me back to this thread and now I'm sitting here thinking about doing another set. ;)

My first build, perhaps I'll do another set - cheers everyone, keep it up - these are fun to read!

The set I built was a big hit. I gave to my son for his college apartment. Worked great for about 4 month until they mysteriously fell silent t. Luckily I had a pair of replacement drivers, 4" tangband bamboo w4- something or others. Apparently the lad and his friends fried the voice coils during a party. Boy I wish I was back in college.

Yeah...I am still thinking about building this one...Looking at plain walls and imagining Cornus that will pefectly fit there. But, due to family obligations, I have very little time to build anything. I have to repair a chip amp first, then build Cornu. I have a set of Creative CSS 125 Fr speakers. Not the best ones for horn loading, but I'll have to make use of what I have...

WT7a1ok.jpg

YFskV3w.jpg

Waiting for glue to dry-out. Made from plain xps, cutted using cnc foam cutter, will use drivers from logitech z120 or sawafuji magnetostatics speakers.

If all good - move to bigger one with visaton frs8 or monacor sph75.. I already have both of them.