Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can!

Perspex / clear Cornu's

Decided to make some (more) Cornus as per the original XRK71 model, this time out of clear perspex for the front and black MDF for the back, so the spirals stand out really well.. Very happy with the end result.

I would have preferred to hang them a bit lower on the wall, but this is the only wall space I have available, so I have tilted them downwards a little bit.

I've had a pair of Cornus like this (made from all MDF) for a few years now and I still really like the sound.

I have a little Sure Electronics TPA3116 amp driving them (stock except for Panasonic Oscon caps upgrade) and I really think its a great combo. All thats left to do now, is to make a perspex case for the amp.. :)

Attachments

• Cornu1.jpg
    Cornu1.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 814
  • Cornu2.jpg
    Cornu2.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 797
I just found this thread, so I haven't had a chance to read all the way through it. I was wondering if anyone has tried Bendy MDF? I found it at Rocklers. It comes 1/4" thick, in pieces 24" x 48", and, I think it can be cut on a table saw. It has grooves cut into one side to allow it to be curved, so I don't know if this would adversely effect the sound. It may be abother way to accomplish the spirals.

~Scott

Maybe using clear 12mm acyrlic and using cnc to have the pattern with 6mm deep and 6mm wide on both front and back plates. Then cut the 5mm bendy plywood by 30cm's and fix it in both sides. It can be very neat and stiff. I have some alpair 7.3's in my hand. Would they work on it?

If so, and if I can find a good plan, I have access to cnc facilities! Any help out there with plans and experience with these drivers?

ps. I already built frugal horns with my other pair of alpair 7.3's :)

this template ok?

Ok, I decided to do the first one out of wood. So you say make it one layer, 4" deep and 28" by 28"...

I will do that next weekend most probably! Etch the pattern 5mm deep on front and back plate, and try and bend the bendy plywood (towards the center, it will seem hard to accomplish)

I will try this template, is this one ok?

Attachments

• cornu_spiral+2.pdf
    4.9 KB · Views: 165
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Kodomo,
The square edges help somewhat to act as a low pass filter to reduce the mids from leaking out. Round can work and probably just requires more stuffing - but may have advantage of easier build if using one long channel piece spiral wound onto a slot.

For a more guaranteed speaker to work, the original plan has been modeled and demonstrated to work. If you make a new one - you are on your own sort of - but if you are curious if your design can work and don't mind potential for it not working - try it. That's how progress is made sometimes.

parts cut

I got the parts cut and I tried them, everything fits :)

I have a week of leave and will be travelling off country, when I come back I will finish these :) can't wait

The front plates are 18mm mdf and the back plates are 12mm mdf. The flexible plywood are 5mm thick.

When I am putting it altogether, I will have better photos and with all parts together...

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (5).jpg
    FullSizeRender (5).jpg
    837 KB · Views: 711
  • FullSizeRender (6).jpg
    FullSizeRender (6).jpg
    661.2 KB · Views: 696