Ever think of building a Cornu Spiral horn? Now you can!

Today I bought 3 different adhesives. In order to select the best of them I made a simple test: 3 pieces of Foam core glued to a piece of playwood, each one with a differen product. I'll let them dry for 24 hours and tomorrow I'll test how strong is the bond.

Attachments

• Adesivos-test.jpg
    Adesivos-test.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 537
Ok, Ok, reading this thread is dangerous, my brain got infected with the idea of building a cornu. I had an old pair of TB W4-657S 4" drivers laying around, remember them they were called the poor man's Jordans a while back. Well they aren't even close, but they are good enough for college dorm speakers, so I thought 'd make a set for my son who is a sophomore. Pretty hard to pile up beers on wall mounted speakers. I used cheap luan underlayment for the baffles and foam board for the spirals. I wanted to flush mount the drivers because it looks neater, so I added a plywood support ring on the back of the front baffle. Another change is that I made the horn 31" to allow for a larger chamber behind the driver and made the fins 4 1/2" high, also for extra volume. Here is my progress so far. Tomorrow I need to extend the fins to the edges (ran out of foam), I'll wire them and glue up the sides and begin tuning them with stuffing on Friday.

PJN

Attachments

• Front baffle.jpg
    Front baffle.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 554
  • Baffle back.jpg
    Baffle back.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 541
  • Support ring.jpg
    Support ring.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 542
  • horn innerds.jpg
    horn innerds.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 507
  • driver baffle.jpg
    driver baffle.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
I am interested, too. My current pair is 650mm (25.5") but could go up to 860mm (34") without dominating the wall too much. In fact, they would dominate the wall but there are more important considerations. So contemplating building a 34" pair with a front chamber to bring the volume up and using PA130-8 drivers.

Ricren, from the picture it looks like you have acrylic caulk in the pistol. That is perfect. I used it to make sure of the seal between the rear plywood sheet and the hot-glued foam core spirals. Dries quickly and remains slightly flexible. I ran out of acrylic so used a grab adhesive similar to solvent-free 'no more nails' to attach the front sheets.

Last edited:
Mini Cornu finished and dry, ready to sound.
All I'm going to say is Wow!, they sound very good. Just to put it in perspective I run a quick and dirty test comparing them with some studio monitors I use for daily work that are my sound reference. The Cornu sounds very musical, articulate, a bit colored if compared with the neutrality of a flat studio monitor, but for music the have a fun sound.
The bass extension is unreal (as everybody was saying, they get better on a wall. Amazing sound from a $10 driver and a few bucks of materials.

Thanks to xrk971 and Carl for introducing us to this nice speaker. The build was easy thanks to the knowledge of this thread.

Now I'll install them in our bedroom for TV watching. Photos will follow.

Attachments

• Cornu-subjetive-test.jpg
    Cornu-subjetive-test.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 511
Last edited:
The Cornu sounds very musical, articulate, a bit colored if compared with a flat studio monitor, but for music the have a fun sound.
Sounds like you have them dialed in. Those are my thoughts as well. Not perfect by a long shot, but really fun to listen to.
The bass extension is unreal (as everybody was saying, they get better on a wall. Amazing sound from a $10 driver and a few bucks of materials.
hehe
Thanks to xrk971 and Carl for introducing us to this nice speaker. The build was easy thanks to the knowledge of this thread.
X introduced us to a way of doing it I hadn't thought of. For that we owe him a big thanks. For my part, all I has was some enthusiasm and a trick or two assembling them.
Now I'll install them in our bedroom for TV watching. Photos will follow.
Excellent, we love bedroom pics.

Finally the Cornus are installed in the bedroom. They replace a pair of behringer speakers that I didn’t like for they look and sound.(see photo).
The change is amazing. The sound of the two Cornus installed on the wall is very nice. Very revealing of sub par material like bad location sound and mixing mistakes.
Modern TV series have very good soundtraks, with lot of work on the bass region that we usually miss because of the limited sound systems on TV sets. The Cornus shine on that material, finally I cal listen to bass notes and subtle rumbles on a series.
The drivers used where what I had in hand. I choose the TB over the Fountek 88 because the former are 5 db more efficient. I’m using the amps from the TV (a keep it simple setup), so every db counts.

The size is also not conventional, at 45x45 cm by 7 cm height, because that was the space on the wall that I could use in order to get a symetrical setup.
Very happy with the new additions. Thanks again for sharing this with us.

Ricardo

Attachments

• Dormitorio-antes-Behringer.jpg
    Dormitorio-antes-Behringer.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 503
  • Cornus-instalados.jpg
    Cornus-instalados.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 509
Last edited:
Yes, the back can vibrate a bit on low notes if left floating. Because of that I installed them making full contact with the wall, attached with 3 little screws to the wall and big washers. They do not move a bit.

Now I'd like to try something for surround speakers, mounted on wall, I was thinking about your other project, the slim MLTL "pizza box" speaker. That one would make a nice little surround speaker.

I got my Cornus with the TB W4-657S wrapped up and singing today. All I can say is that I'm very very impressed. The low frequencies kick a**, absolutely no BSC required or wanted. It's shocking how low they go and how big they sound, very well balanced. These will make fantastic dorm or apartment speakers, the sound quality is excellent for what they are. Really fun to listen to, and can go loud with no strain. The limiting factor as expected is the limitations of the driver, although this box seems to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. In the TB's case it is a little muted in the high frequencies and is not a super detailed driver. But hey, they are perfect for what they are intended for. Thanks for the inspiration to build these.

PJN