Euro Cup 2012

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I liked German team , somehow the impression was they had twice the players on the field than Dutch had. Good games and I already gained like 5 lbs from all that beer tasting ;)

I don't enjoy the German style game so much...but I admire their discipline, their finish their team spirit and their ability to take away the strengths of other teams. Congratulations to Germany. Superior coaching and as always tons of resolve and poise!

They always do well and will be very dangerous in the final eight and beyond.

Last edited:
I am hoping for some mettle in the other three divisions as well.

France/Ukraine/Russia/Italy/Spain and yes, Croatia. all have shown remarkable flashes of brilliance...and they do not give up!

Germany is always strong..but no..they do not play in the same entertaining fashion as Italy/Spain/Portugal/France...IMO...but Germany is definitely in the running for this year's Euro Cup.

Last edited:
Strange to see Italy play so defensively today instead of aggressive. Not surprised though by the Croatian exploitation of their one good opportunity. A well played draw but without the same non-stop excitement as the Spain/Italy match.

Felt bad for Ireland having to deal with the Spanish juggernaut...so much technical skill and individual flair at their dispose..it seems the Spanish have lost very little, even without the electrifying David Villa.

For tomorrow I foresee a very boring draw between England and Sweden but a much more exciting match between France and Ukraine with France edging their opponent by one goal.

Last edited:
How is it strange to see Italy play defensively?

The italian philosophy has always been that if the other team can't score Italy can't lose while the brazilian one is the opposite and the german strategy is not to let the other team play the way they like to ie essentially destructive.
In '04 Greece won by out-german even the germans, unsurprisingly at that time Greece had a german coach.

This time Germany plays less in the german style than usual but then they have a young team and more young players coming through than they know what to do with as their youth programs are second to none. This is because the vast majority of german league teams are not-for-profit organizations and all the TV money has got to be spent, either on youth programs or other sports.
Another upshot of this is that tickets for german league games cost 1/3 of what they cost for english league games, on the other hand the average attendancy is 3x of that in England.

And the British ...:)

Less bore them to death with No goals or throw the usual one goal per match in near the end .. :rofl:

There is no british football team but there are the english, scottish, welsh and Northern Irish national teams.
That said in this years Olympics there will be a single Great British team for the first time ever in international football.
I wonder how this will play out given the usual scottish ABE (Anyone But England) system of lending their support.

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
The question is, of course, when will Ronaldo produce according to his talent? Thank goodness the rest of the team are so industrious!

:D:D:D
Ronaldo doesnt have talent, its physical. Thats the reason he doesnt produce anything when the going gets tough, here intelligence and talent count, he lacks both.

Now look at a player like Messi which posesses a bit of all these traits but especially natural talent and intelligence........... He has achieved much more than Ronaldo.

BTW I have limited knowledge on football ;) (I only watch as girlfriend practically forces me too), but I have 20 years experience in rugby including coaching and just watching a couple of games on TV its obvious to me why intelligence and talent is much more favourable in a game like football to raw physical ability.

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Ok, that explains it .... :rofl:

:nownow:

If a rugby chap can see what a supposed professional football coach cant, its a sad affair, I have to agree. But look at Ronaldos match stats for internationals, especially finals like euro and worldcup, and youll quickly realise Ive done my homework more than thoroughly, he is useless at this level, only the blind cant see it.:rolleyes:

Interesting observation.

It is a fact, that most strikers are only as good as their team mates passing skills allows them to be. VERY few players in modern fotball history had the ability to win games by their own. Diega Maradona (Argentina) and Ronaldo (Brazil) is two of them.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
homemodder, there is some truth in what you say. Ronaldo is a machine, he is not very intelligent, nor does he have the awareness of a Zidane, but he has a tremendous physique that makes up for most of what he does not have. Over 50 league goals is testament to that.

I just enjoy watching Iniesta and Xavi, and Pirlo, and Sheva, and Schweni, and Sneijder. Such intelligent players! This has been a great tournament so far... none of that dour 0-0 stuff from South Africa.

homemodder,

i disagree. Ronaldo has the potential to dominate even in the most demanding level. The guy only feels the pressure from people(and himself) expecting him to perform at an even better level than he does when playing regular season. I believe it is purely psychological. I saw on one of portugal goals celebration everyone happy except him. His personnal satisfaction seems to precede everyone else. This means a lot to me and it s a proof that nothing has been done to correct the situation.

:nownow:

If a rugby chap can see what a supposed professional football coach cant, its a sad affair, I have to agree. But look at Ronaldos match stats for internationals, especially finals like euro and worldcup, and youll quickly realise Ive done my homework more than thoroughly, he is useless at this level, only the blind cant see it.:rolleyes:

With all due respect, such comments, tells me you know very little about the sport, Ronaldo is not sought after because he lacks talent , there are other factors involved when these guys play international games ...

:rolleyes:

Interesting observation.

It is a fact, that most strikers are only as good as their team mates passing skills allows them to be. VERY few players in modern fotball history had the ability to win games by their own. Diega Maradona (Argentina) and Ronaldo (Brazil) is two of them.

While very much a fan of both, they would Not be able to do so today, not with the speed and size of current players....

homemodder,

i disagree. Ronaldo has the potential to dominate even in the most demanding level. The guy only feels the pressure from people(and himself) expecting him to perform at an even better level than he does when playing regular season. I believe it is purely psychological. I saw on one of portugal goals celebration everyone happy except him. His personnal satisfaction seems to precede everyone else. This means a lot to me and it s a proof that nothing has been done to correct the situation.

Did Portugal win that match.... ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.