Eti 480 trouble

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Maybe it was designed for high level input? I’m running line out from a cd player.

I just recently bought all the transistors and most of the resistors for it and found out that the ones that I was replacing all worked so I have a lot of spares
could I put 2 eti 480‘s together and run one sub at 200 watts?

Thanks grege I’ll think about that special:D

Thanks grege I got another 480 and when they swiped it came up with $23 so it was a bargain.
I have built it and it works but I’m not convinced that it’s running at full power because I connected it to a 12” woofer rated at 80 watts max and I put a tone of 40 Hz input to the amp but the speaker moves about 1 cm I have varied the intensity of the input but it distorts if I go too high, so why isn’t it running at 100 watts?

Thanks for your time guys

It will only run at 100W max if the speaker impedance is 4 ohms. An 8 ohm speaker will only allow the amp to run to around 60W maximum. The amount of cone movement is not much of an indicator of power - cone movement will depend on speaker sensitivity, frequency, box type (if it is in a box at all) etc. Measure the AC voltage on the speaker with a multimeter with your 40Hz tone - if you measure around 28V ac, the your amp is fine. How does volume compare to the other module?

Cheers

I was just passing this subject and noticed that somebody actually has trouble with an eti-480. I built a stereo out of the 100w version some 24 years ago and still work and the only problem I ever had was that I blew up a horn tweater.

One of the probelms is that you must use a preamp that delivers 1v output to the amp anything else and it distorts when wound up. I used a preamp out of a Kriesler stereo that I got when I worked for them many years ago I don't know if they are still available as Phillips bought the company out and closed it down 22 years ago.

Contact a friend of mine that use to be a field tech for Kriesler that owns his own repair shop.

Richard at Kings Television Repairs Padstow, Nsw, Australia.

I powered it up with a 1khz tone and tested it with a oscilloscope and found that it’s clipping.
And also I have a tone that goes from 25hz to 20khz played it through the amp and hook it up to a speaker that is 15watts max 8 ohms (I think) and nothing much came out of it.
Are there any known problems with the design of this amp?
Yes I did have it on a 4 ohm woofer not in a box and I tried it in a box as well but still nothing.

maybe a faulty output?

Thanks

I guess the reason I have never had a problem with mine is that I tested every part before I put it together all those years ago.

I used digital meters and if it was not in the 5% tollerance range I changed the part for another.

I think that's why all of never have heard a problem with these amps is that they are bullet proof. Try testing every part individually I know it sound strange but believe me when you get it powered up and working you will never need to touch it ever again, as I have said mine is 24 years old and I have never lifted the cover off the amp yet... and it's seen a lot of work as I use to use it for parties and disco's in the 80"s.

Good Luck

Wyatt

I work out what was wrong with my amp. I have just done a volts test on the rails and 37volts but when it clips the voltage drops by 10, so I took out the dropper resistors out of the power supply and no more clipping and the voltage stays at 37, it works at its full 100watts I think I still got to tune it with an oscilloscope so thanks guys for your help.

Now for a pre-amp with gain control, are the dicksmiths or jaycar kits good enough for that?

Do dah,

Blame the amp..... Good to hear that we have helped in some way as I said before I made my stereo some 20 odd years ago and I used a preamp from a Kriesler amp. I can not find a kit that can deliver the 1v rms output suitable for this amp maybe you can put another post up and have someone design one for you.

I could get you the diagram of the preamp I used, but it may take some time it's hard going through stuff that I have not touched in at least the last 8 years...

Wyatt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.