Eti 480 trouble

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I’ve built an Eti 480 amp (not the best amp I know) the problem is that the output volume is low, when I turn up the input signal the amp gets to about 30% of its potential then its distorts. I have checked all the components if their in working order and if their in the right spots. I keep setting vr1 to get the right voltage but it keeps changing.
Can any one help? Are there any well known problems with this amp?

I have replaced all the output transistor, still didn’t fix it “something is drawing massive amounts of currant that gets the 1/5 watt resistors smoking) so I pulled out Q7 bd139 and Q8 bd140 and the resistors didn’t get even warm so the two bd’s have something to do with the problem am I correct?

“While I remember” I did have Q9 and Q10 insulated from the output and I had it powered up then would that have blown anything?

THANKS

I would guess that Q7 & Q8 could be shorted - very common if the output transistors have blown. Check between C and E (centre & LHS leg looking at front of transistor) of these with a multimeter set to ohms range - if you get a low reading they are toast. Do the same check with Q4 & Q5 (no need to remove them for this).

If Q7 & Q8 are shorted, also check resistors R14, 18 (47 ohm) and R15, 17 (33 ohm).

When any parts identified above are replaced, solder a shorting wire between RHS leg (B) of Q7 & Q8, leave the fuses out (but with 100 ohm resistors across them intact) and fire it up. The resistors should not get hot and the voltage on the shorting wire should be close to 0V. Remove the shorting wire and try it again - if there is high current draw again then Q6 may be open circuit.

Good Luck

Just replaced all transistors and checked over all the components to see if their in working order (yes) and no shorts anywhere no broken tracks or dry joints, all polarities are correct. That’s it that’s all I can do there is nothing more I can do:bawling:

I can’t even set the voltage because the 100ohms resistors across the fuses get too hot:hot:

I need to solve the resistors getting hot business first.
2 seconds and their smoking (major current drawing)

Ok, next step....

Remove the output transistors only (the 2N3055 & MJ2955s) and retry.

The voltages on the base of Q7 & Q8 should be around 0.6V & -0.6V . The voltage on the output (speaker) line should be close to zero. The voltages on the collectors of Q7 & Q8 should be around 0.6V less than each supply rail (ie. 36.4V & -36.4V assuming 40V rails).

Let us know how this goes.

Cheers

Hayden,

Set the bias to the lowest setting possible on the trimpot. You can verify this by measuring the voltage across the two driver bases, but since it blows fuses so quickly just try moving the wiper to the other side.

If the amp still blows fuses on switchon, then the chances are the output stage is oscillating - a very common problem on CFP amps which are incredibly sensitive to bias adjustment.

Oscillation is fequently cured by increasing the capacitance across the base/collector of the driver transistor. This hobbles it at high frequencies, but sucks the lifeforce from the music.

You can't have it all - this is not a particularly good audio circuit.

Cheers,

Hugh

This may sound a bit obvious, but :

If the 100 ohms 1/5W resistors blow 2 seconds after power is applied thus not allowing to do any measurements...

Why not using a pair of 100 ohm 10W inexpensive ceramic resistors temporarily connected with wires to the fuse holders in order to have enough time to do some measurements and find the problem?

These resistors will limit the current consumption to non-destructive levels. Furthermore, 10W power rating is enough to sustain a short circuit to ground permanently with +-30V rails so you will have enough time to do as much measurements as you want

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.