ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel)

To get the DSD I basically hacked a Denon DVD-2910 taking the DSD at the DAC pins. Its actually not much of a hack. Just solder a couple wires.

Sure Buffalo probably sounds better than Opus can. But its also not as simple, and it is more expensive. It should and does perform very well. :)

That said I won't be giving away my opus. :)

So the only way to say if it is better or not is to know your priorities. They are both IMHO excellent DACs.

Cheers!
Russ

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Re: Re: DAC4392 + ESS Sabre: this is incredible.

wildmonkeysects said:
Hi hires69:

Are you playing the ESS demo board stock, ie with the included clock and analog output stage?

Also thanks to Terry Demol for the in depth answer bout the 'tails. Impressive output stage compliance.

Cheers,

WMS

Hi WMS,

yes i'm player the ESS demo board stock. I'm waiting (do you have any news about Guido Tents?) to receive an XO from Tentlabs to replace the standard 40 Mhz clock.
But the sound, also without any modification, is astounding.
I'm not able to describe in words the beauty of sound of DAC4392 + ESS Sabre bundle.

I would like to understand how I can improve the EVB analog output stage. Do You know a project ready to be implemented?

MrMajestic said:
This DAC looks very promising. To run both SPDIF and DSD input at the same time Im guessing some kind of switch will be required? Would the OTTO do the job? Now, to only find someone to buy my Opus and get hold of a moddable Denon player :)

Sure you could use OTTO.

I am working on way to make mine switch back and forth between PCM and DSD depending on the mode the SACD player is in, that is playing a regular CD or a SACD. I still have a lot more playing to do in that regard.

For now I have simply checked that DSD input does indeed work.

Cheers!
Russ

Russ White said:

Sure you could use OTTO.

I am working on way to make mine switch back and forth between PCM and DSD depending on the mode the SACD player is in, that is playing a regular CD or a SACD. I still have a lot more playing to do in that regard.

For now I have simply checked that DSD input does indeed work.

Cheers!
Russ

I was thinking of switching between some kind of SPDIF input selector (Darwin?) and a DSD input using the OTTO. Would a RJ45 connector work well with DSD?