ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel)

Has anyone yet designed something with ES9039Pro? It seems you start getting them from Mouser soon.. And if you are adventurous enough you can order them from aliexpress.

I started designing 8 channel DAC based on ES9039Pro to replace AK4458 in my current DSP/DAC system. ES9039Pro seems to support the same TDM protocol as the AKM chip, so it should work nicely on my system. However the TDM configuration/description seems quite vague in the datasheet. It says "application note regarding setup for TDM will be available soon" Anyone has more details? For example how do you define which pin is used for WS? Or is it always DATA1 as in the reference schematic?

What are you thoughts on ES9311Q for AVCC supply? Should I use for example ADM7154 instead?

IIRC someone may have remarked on some problems experienced with ES9311Q reliability. Guess ADM7154 could work. Also IIRC there is a patent by Martin Mallinson, ESS VP of Engineering, on the use of a shunt regulator for digital circuits. Among the claimed benefits was that output impedance drops as frequency increases, unlike a series pass regulator. In addition, believe it may have been KSTR who reported increased HD from ESS dacs if AVCC power supply impedance was not low at the half the clock frequency. Therefore, I might be inclined to try out a shunt in that application.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all,

Has anyone tried and have succes with the 9039pro?
here is my try..no succes and dead silence at the output. It is a stereo dac, so output 1.3.5 and 7 are tied togheter as one channel, the other as the second channel.
Use a STM32 and I2C and it looks ok. MCU find dac chip and identify it as a 9039pro. Also lock/no lock works as expected.
Output stage build as datasheet with tweaked values as discussed here before.
First OPA 1612 gets 9.5v at outputs(pin 1 and 7). Couldn’t find the problem.
since it was a ”test card” i made it possible to remove servo and rebuild it as a ”standard” outputstage as the 9038pro.
That stage i have in a own build 9038 so it more familiar for me.
Use 1.65v diveded from avcc on pin 3 and 5.
but still no sound from output and also on this stage i have around 9.5v output from opa1612.

Can it be wrong settings in the registers?
Anyone have a 9039 running in stereo?
IMG_7491.jpeg

PS. I know the bridges on the dac chip. They were fixed after picture :)

BR// Daniel

For the STEREO you need to set reg#0 to b00101110.
You'll not achieve the datasheet's specs if outputs are simply shorted. I believe 9039 noiseshapers are asynchronous, and syncing a few of them drops loop gain. 9038 is Ok to short, at least 9038Q2M shorting adds 3db to the DR as it supposes to be. OPA1612 has not enough output current to handle summed 9039pro current.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help.

I tie output togheter like this.

9039_mod.jpg

I use ADM7154 for AVCC L, AVCC R and clock (50Mhz CCHD-950). Multi TPS7A20 to other 3.3V connections.
And a SPX3819M5-L-12TR for DVDD at 1.2V.
All volatge around dac messure ok and chip is found by MCU,

I did try the same outputstage as in my 3038pro, With some tweaked value.
OPout_9039.png

It works perfect in the 9038pro in stereo mode .
You think it can't handle the 9039pro in stereo setup? With 4 output tied togheter?

As for the startup of program:

Set register 0 bit 7: 1
wait 400 ms
Set register 0 bit 7: 0

Set register 0 to: b00101110

Set register 1 to: b10111111

Set register 3 to: b10000000 - Also tryed b0000000 - Don't know if AUTO_FS_DETECT should be enable or disable??

Set register 123 to: b00000000 - Disable automute

As i said before, DPLL locks to input signal.

BR// Daniel