ESP P3A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, maybe I should go back and put 2 x driver transistor and bias transistor on the same heatsink, seperate from the output transistor heatsink. Been reading a little about it and the bias transistor should sense the driver transistors only, and not the output transistors.

It wont take much to make that change.

Well, maybe I should go back and put 2 x driver transistor and bias transistor on the same heatsink, seperate from the output transistor heatsink. Been reading a little about it and the bias transistor should sense the driver transistors only, and not the output transistors.

It wont take much to make that change.

I've just been thinking of posting about that - I didn't like that either. Why not leave them where they are, vertically mounted onto an aluminium plate?

In fact, I'm not sure even about forcing drivers in EF stages to follow the OP temperature. It is often done, but is that merely for ease of consruction?

Personally, being a DIY pcb fan, I don't like double sided PTH boards. A relatively simple schematic like this is easily manageable on a single sided layout, with links if needed. It may be less costly.

Is Rod's board double sided?

Brian

I've just been thinking of posting about that - I didn't like that either. Why not leave them where they are, vertically mounted onto an aluminium plate?

In fact, I'm not sure even about forcing drivers in EF stages to follow the OP temperature. It is often done, but is that merely for ease of consruction?

Personally, being a DIY pcb fan, I don't like double sided PTH boards. A relatively simple schematic like this is easily manageable on a single sided layout, with links if needed. It may be less costly.

Is Rod's board double sided?

Brian

Well, it probably is easier to just put eveything on one big heatsink, but whether it is optimal or not is the question.

Doublesided is not an issue, going to get the PCB's professionally made.

Rod's boards are singlesided.

Well, this should be my final version.

Drivers and bias transistor will be thermally coupled through a small piece of aluminium for optimal thermal tracking. Made space between them and the output transistors so they arent too close to the L shaped bracket holding the output transistors and to the main heatsink.e power supply PCB instead.

Reduced the overall board size to a smaller 10 x 10 cm format.

Removed the fuseholders, they will be on the power supply PCB instead.

Only have to fix the silkscreen a little.

Attachments

• P3A_BRD_WIP.PNG
    P3A_BRD_WIP.PNG
    74.2 KB · Views: 690
  • P3A_Gerber_WIP.PNG
    P3A_Gerber_WIP.PNG
    51.7 KB · Views: 657
Wasnt entirely happy, so went back and made a few layout changes, including going from a 4.7uF input to only 2.2uF, thats still a -3db point of around 3.5hz, more than enough.

Madeit more compact in some areas, which reduced the length of some of the traces, it also ment better placement of certain components.

Imo, this new layout is overall better than the last one.

Also theres room for fuseholders again, as per the original P3A schematic.

Attachments

• P3A_BRD_V2_final.PNG
    P3A_BRD_V2_final.PNG
    74.4 KB · Views: 607
Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I played with layout of another simple design

I decided to try double sided board

I arranged, rearranged, over and over
trying to make it better, more logic
spent several weeks doing just that

and you know what ?
in the end suddenly double sided made no sense at all
not needed really
no jumper either

honestly, I think hardwired veroboard would be even better

On a 10cm x 10cm board, 25% of which is consumed by two TO-3's, trace length really isn't an issue...

I could put the TO-3's off board and use wire to connect them to the board, but they would most likely be just as long as the current pcb tracks going to them. 35 mm of the top of the pcb is going to be occupied by a L bracket. A not unusual way of mounting TO-3's to a heatsink. :)

Last edited:
The white line shows how far in the L bracket will go and then theres just enough room for a small piece of aluminium attached to the drivers and bias sensing transistor, for thermal coupling and thermal tracking as usually required for a CFP output stage.

I could move the output stage a little closer, maybe 5mm without the L bracket and thermal coupling/sensing heatsink getting too close.

Attachments

• P3A_BRD_V2_final_Line.PNG
    P3A_BRD_V2_final_Line.PNG
    74.5 KB · Views: 821
Last edited:
Changes

Just couldnt leave the layout as is.

Redid it, now with the recommended MJL4281A/MJL4302A output transistors.

The board is relatively small at 75 mm x 94 mm and it will fit in a 2U Pessante Dissipante case from Modushop.biz

Add my own supply PCB with offboard rectifiers, one board pr channel.

Transformers will be 2 x 25VAC and 225-300VA pr channel.

Considering a Vellemann K4700 DC output protection circuit.

Should be a decent amp once finished.

:)

Attachments

• P3A_BRD_TO-264.PNG
    P3A_BRD_TO-264.PNG
    77.4 KB · Views: 806
  • Supply.PNG
    Supply.PNG
    80.8 KB · Views: 775
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.