• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF "Subbu DAC V3" GB Interest

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Don't get me wrong, I am new to all this..
If I add this unit to existing choice of connections how the selection of inputs is working?
Or it is just any running device will drive dac without any input selector ?

You could use this receiver with four inputs from TwistedPear and connect Toslink or SPDIF to it and use the I2S output to your DAC.

S/PDIF 4:1 Receiver/MUX Module

Thanks
Do

Don't get me wrong, I am new to all this..
If I add this unit to existing choice of connections how the selection of inputs is working?
Or it is just any running device will drive dac without any input selector ?

That's the great part of DIY, you can make it how you want it to work. You could go the simple route and just use one of the suggested optical daughter boards, wire the out to the input of the DAC's SPDIF and have a single optical in only DAC.

I plan to have optical and coaxial input, I plan to "control" input selection simply by choosing to connect only one device at a time to the DAC, no switch, no selector etc.

BTW - Welcome to the party! :D

To be honest everything started with my current Mark K ER18DXT build.
I am midway with it now- even considering Europe Audio let me down with delivery times.
I will order Lighter Note passive attenuator next week to hook to accidentally acquired power amp (with low input impedance though, so might need buffer stage) , which is going to be my first practice in diy with help of friend of mine.
Dac will follow.
And, hopefully, I will do my own amp- seems chip amps not too difficult...

P.S.: If I have 1 connection at time into dac, I do not have to do much work then ?

Hi all

What can I say ? Impressed, yes really, this thread is really Alive due to your inputs and tips. That's DIYAudio spirit, sharing and caring :cool:
Many thanks to all of you :worship:

We've crossed 380 PCB units !!! Unexpected, the challenge initiated by "Moderator Emeritus" has been exceeded :D

As previously announced, the GB was supposed to be closed today.
So, why closing today ? Let's say it's still open, until the 26th.
Three majors reasons :
1° - It gives late comers some extra time to place their orders.
2° - Only 18 PCB to go and we'll reach 400 units !
3° - October 26th is my birthday, I'll be proud to close this GB as it's a special day to me ;)

I'm convinced that Jean-Paul & Subbu will give some informations about the final design they've cooked for us before the 26th.
Can't expect what "Master Chaos" AKA Jean-Paul comment will be...
More to come... ;)

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Incredible. The number keeps getting higher and no one except Subbu And I knows what the design will be. Scary.... Earlier on I told Subbu that demand could very well be 500 pieces of which I later on thought I had exaggerated but now it seems the 500 number was not so exaggerated at all.

We are still in design phase. Despite earlier comments the boards seems to become slightly larger with all the in and outputs aligned at one side except for the power supply connector. So finally SPDIF and L + R are all at the backside of the case. Decoupling already was good but we tried to improve it slightly by adding coils and caps. Different sizes output filter caps can be used.

I am working from dusk till dawn in my new home (moving houses/emigration) so I try to arrange time in 5 minute blocks but we will manage a V3.

We won't let you down. Hey the simplest solution would have been a rerun of V2.6 but that is still possible if V3 does not perform as we wish.

As I have more time, I will read into possibility of separating channels and running dac in "dual mono" mode (correct ? :) )

If members of GB can give some thoughts would really appreciate it.

As I understand, in DAC terms, that normally means a "balanced DAC". If you are interested in going that route you should check your order to ensure it's entered as a balanced kit.

As I understand, in DAC terms, that normally means a "balanced DAC". If you are interested in going that route you should check your order to ensure it's entered as a balanced kit.

You're right
A BAL DAC is a "Dual Mono" using 2 PCB & 2 ES9023, one for each chanel.
Don't forget that the Output is Balanced (XLR).
If you want to go SE (RCA) and "Dual Mono", you have to convert Balanced signals to Single Ended using some BAL/Unbalanced transformer/converters/adapter.
One PSU is OK to fed a BAL DAC.
Hope this helps ;)

There is much on a google search similar to this article.

And a conversation.

Personally, I own four devices suitable for home studio/semi pro recording that all have balanced outputs. IMHO, it is a different ballgame and I prefer the unbalanced format for high end listening. In my experience the advantages of balanced are most effective when long cables and high potential for inteference are present.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.