• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF DAC Group Buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK. I've been searching for a power supplies, and have not found anything more suitable then the Vellman 1823 you recommended. I searched specifically for power supplies using the LM723 you like so much. I found a lot of schematics on-line, but no pre-built supplies or even PCB's. I'm not ambitious enough to design and etch my own PCB.

The Vellman 1823 kit uses a LM317 which, according to the data sheets, has an output noise of 0.003% of Vo. So that's 150uV at 5V (100mA). I guess that's good enough?

Does anyone out there have any suggestions before I order my Vellman kits?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Group Buy Update - PCBs and DAC received today.

Update... A picture is worth a thousand words...

I received two packages today evening one with the PCBs and another containing the ES9023. I will be assembling tonight to make sure everything is ok.

Will start shipping the PCB this weekend as I am trying to figure out how to print the address labels.

Email has been sent to all the members with the order information and the address. If you take a moment to review the details and reply me if you find any issues that will help me to prevent any errors. If you did not receive an email then please let me know.

The pictures were taken with flash at night so they don't look great. I will get some pictures taken tomorrow morning and post them here.

Attachments

• WM8804-ES9023 DAC PCB Front.jpg
    WM8804-ES9023 DAC PCB Front.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 488
  • WM8804-ES9023 DAC PCB Back.jpg
    WM8804-ES9023 DAC PCB Back.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
OK. I've been searching for a power supplies, and have not found anything more suitable then the Vellman 1823 you recommended. I searched specifically for power supplies using the LM723 you like so much. I found a lot of schematics on-line, but no pre-built supplies or even PCB's. I'm not ambitious enough to design and etch my own PCB.

The Vellman 1823 kit uses a LM317 which, according to the data sheets, has an output noise of 0.003% of Vo. So that's 150uV at 5V (100mA). I guess that's good enough?

Does anyone out there have any suggestions before I order my Vellman kits?

Hi I guess you missed the fact that we are busy with a power supply PCB ? If you have some patience you can enjoy the DAC powered by a good power supply. LM723 is a very good but it is also a very ancient part. Although still in production it is not very popular except in industrial designs. It still is one of the best regs ever. Designers trend to choose newer regs mainly because "newer is better". LM723 is a proof that sometimes newer is not better, I think it is very special that a chip is in production for over 40 years ! I suspect there are tubes inside the chip ;)

I received two packages today evening one with the PCBs and another containing the ES9023. I will be assembling tonight to make sure everything is ok.

Will start shipping the PCB this weekend as I am trying to figure out how to print the address labels.

Email has been sent to all the members with the order information and the address. If you take a moment to review the details and reply me if you find any issues that will help me to prevent any errors. If you did not receive an email then please let me know.

The pictures were taken with flash at night so they don't look great. I will get some pictures taken tomorrow morning and post them here.

They look good in black ! I guess the power supply PCB must be black too. I see I made a small error with the part numbering but that won't harm. For the participants of the group Buy: please note the use of coils and beads. We don't like RF/EMI in audio. Decoupling has been changed slightly. In our opinion the output connector is placed more conveniently for wiring them to the RCA connectors. Let's await the first one built by Subbu.

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Insurance and Tracking for the Shipment

As you all know I am going to be shipping by USPS first class mail, it doesn't include include insurance and tracking. With USPS if I have to add insurance and tracking, the shipping costs get doubled and I need to use USPS Priority mail. In some cases it costs higher than the item cost.

If any members want Insurance / tracking please send me a pm and I can send you the cost as the insurance varies based on the total cost of the items. I should have realized it earlier but still its not late. Hope you understand.

Thanks!
Subbu

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
You are an easy going guy aren't you ? :) Relaxed sipping coffee with your feet on your desk patiently waiting for a power supply PCB ;) It looks like we will go the LM723 route as I just delivered the final version of a PCB to Subbu. The power supply is already tested but it could still change to another design if the sun shines tomorrow.

BTW Subbu just reported that his firstborn rev. 2 DAC is singing and it seems he is very satisfied with it. I can not wait to get my hands on some PCB's (probably just like a lot of you all). Now where are those last BG NX HiQ's ?

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
That was already asked in a PM by a member. We (Subbu and JP) won't do it but maybe you can join forces with other members in a separate thread. Please contact Korben69. Your boards will be starting their travel to you and in the meantime....

Last edited:
I'm going to speculate that a parts group buy would not save a lot of money, as the buyer is not likely to get large bulk discounts, and shipping from the organizer's home will not be cheaper than shipping from Mouser or DigiKey.

However, it may be very convenient for someone to create, and share, a BOM in Digi Key's web site and share it with others. I think all the participants would need to create Digi Key accounts to receive the BOM. It would not save anyone any money, but it would save on the time spent arduously looking up all the part numbers and putting them into our shopping carts.

I would volunteer, except that I already purchased all my parts, and most of them were from Mouser.

Joined 2002
Paid Member

I'm happy to report that I'm probably the first member of the group buy to get my boards. It turns out that Subbu lives very close to me and I arranged to pick up the boards from him at a local coffee shop after work.
Thanks to Subbu for agreeing to hand deliver the boards and thanks to both Subbu and Jean Paul for their hard work on this project. They deserve a big thank you from all of us.

I just placed an order for parts from Digikey which should show up early next week. I'm traveling on business next week, so it may take me a few weeks before I've got my version of the dac working.

---Gary

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I built the DAC last night and didn't have time to report back here on the forum. It sounds very good and better than the earlier version we made. I am waiting for the shipping materials to arrive and expect them tomorrow or Saturday. I will send an update to the members once their package leaves the post office.

The power supply design has been completed. Based on the interest I will get the pricing details and post it soon along with the PSU BOM.

-Subbu

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I'm happy to report that I'm probably the first member of the group buy to get my boards. It turns out that Subbu lives very close to me and I arranged to pick up the boards from him at a local coffee shop after work.
Thanks to Subbu for agreeing to hand deliver the boards and thanks to both Subbu and Jean Paul for their hard work on this project. They deserve a big thank you from all of us.

I just placed an order for parts from Digikey which should show up early next week. I'm traveling on business next week, so it may take me a few weeks before I've got my version of the dac working.

---Gary

You are a lucky guy. Mine will take longer to take the trip over the pond. Please let us know how it sounds.

---Gary

:D

Patience now everyone, and let these guys do what they do best :D.
Time will pass anyway.... and quality is the critical part here!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.