• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

ES9023 I2S Input DAC incl. JG Filter Buffer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's all on a tray at the moment but you can see it here
IMG_20140531_154425.jpg

The 5V supplies are 7805 based, large heatsink on the one for the Pi. The +/-15v is a 'servo' PSU from eBay (LM317 LM337 Servo Power Supply Board product | eBay) using an LM317/337 combo and an op-amp.

The transformer is a 30VA R-Core and the Pi has an Edimax wifi card.

I'm still breaking it in but loving the sound, seems to be on a par with (if not surpassing) my clock-locked Cambridge IsoMagic s700 (RME soundcard slaved to the DAC's clock) which I've been unable to better for some years.

I'll be popping it all in a HiFi2000 Galaxy case once I've figured out the size I need and ordered it...

Cheers
Simon

I wouldn't expect anything close to the 4.2uV noise spec with DIYINHK's board (that the chip's best case, using minimal wire distance and the sense pin), but if you want a regulator easy to assemble or assembled, then it, Per-Anders' regulators, or the TP Placid HD, are probably your best choices.

I would like to thank Curryman and Joachim for such a wonderful DAC. Using Lorien`s wave IO as USB interface >I2S to Curryman`s DAC made by miniDSP. In my experience this is the best ES9023 implementation, very transparent. Actually it changed my mind on the Sigma/Delta conversion capabilities (I was multibit believer), well done Curryman!

One thing I would like to enquire is whether 10KOhm attenuator that I'm using is too heavy load for the JH buffer? What value would be ideal (amplifier input has 47KOhm impedance) ? Also I'm still unsure about grounding scheme in the future metal chassis... any links or pointers?

Attachments

• Curryman DAC.jpg
    Curryman DAC.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 231
I would like to thank Curryman and Joachim for such a wonderful DAC. Using Lorien`s wave IO as USB interface >I2S to Curryman`s DAC made by miniDSP. In my experience this is the best ES9023 implementation, very transparent. Actually it changed my mind on the Sigma/Delta conversion capabilities (I was multibit believer), well done Curryman!

One thing I would like to enquire is whether 10KOhm attenuator that I'm using is too heavy load for the JH buffer? What value would be ideal (amplifier input has 47KOhm impedance) ? Also I'm still unsure about grounding scheme in the future metal chassis... any links or pointers?

JG Buffer!

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The Buffer will drive 10kOhm without any problems. Down to 2k will also be OK. With higher loads THD may rise a bit but I've even used my 100 Ohm Headphones for a test :cool:

Re the grounding: PE connected directly to chassis is mandatory. I did not connect signal ground to chassis and never had issues
kind regards, Daniel

Hi Daniel,

I'm using your Curryman DAC with the Raspberry Pi2 with OpenElec as well as RuneAudio... It plays well and sounds great for a few minutes but then the audio drops out and doesn't resume until I power cycle he DAC (using either OS).

After investigating, I noticed that the +/- 15V connector was loose (I easily jiggled it right off of the PCB) so I assumed that was the problem. I re-soldered it but that hasn't fixed the issue.

I'm not sure if this is a HW or SW issue. The DAC is new and I haven't used it in any other application.

Thanks

Output circuit damage??

I recently completed a minishark with these Curryman Dacs, The output stage is powered by Jung Super regulators. Seemed to work fine, then one day not fine. The outputs measured about -1.3V. Seems that the positive regulator was not starting up properly, unloaded it is OK. So from measurements it looks like the current sources for the buffer were running normal current through the output fets and the positive regulator. And probably during my debug the positive regulator was disconnected and maybe current was going through the jfet gate.

Anyone think the fets may have been damaged, I know gate current is not good? One positive is the output offsets are small, maybe 1mV, with a different supply.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I see that Minidsp is no longer offering the Curryman DAC.

I also notice that no one has posted on this thread for more than 2 years.

Does that mean that the Curryman DAC won't be available now or in the future?

Thanks.
Hello

miniDSP indeed stopped producing those DACs since sales went down lately. There is no plan to continue this project.

kind regards, Daniel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.