ES9023 DAC PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
jean-paul said:
Who invents a connector that can only be inserted 5 times ?

I dunno, someone who knows what they are doing with their layout before plugging it in the first time =)

besides i'd lay money that even after the 20th time you would still have better line termination than what you have with a pinheader. how good is the impedance of a molex header after using it 5 times? how about the impedance of a solder joint that has to be made, disconnected, made disconnected 5 times? anyway they are dead easy to put in parallel with another connector type, people can use them, or not.

also being that they are completely SMD and tiny, you can remove them with a blob of solder in seconds without any damage to the PCB and replace. they arent exactly expensive if you really find that you change the layout of your case 5 times (realistically 10 or more if you use the right tool, or make one yourself)

Although the party has already moved on to V3 of the Subbu/JP-DAC I recently connected the original version of the board to a newly built Salas shunt reg (putting out 5V DC).

It just has max. 10 hours on it but I am very positively surprised as the ES9023 DAC is a very neutral and good sounding performer! Comparing to my Audiosector DAC (featuring a Bobken-style reg and BG throughout) I can say that JP’s ES9023 is doing extremely well… in fact it’s hard to pick the better one of the two.
Both qualify as very natural and authentic sounding DAC’s (to my ears of course;)) with a credible soundstage and very good timbre. The Audiosector might have a bit more impact and slightly better bass whereas the ES9023 is super-neutral and has a very smooth treble while retaining all the details you’d ever want.

So hats off to Jean-Paul and Subbu for their good work!

PS. pic shows the DAC just connected to power while I was testing the shunt reg...

Attachments

• SSLV+ES9023.jpg
    SSLV+ES9023.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 540
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Thanks for the positive feedback, it is really appreciated. Please try the V3. I tried to improve the already good 2.6 and have sent some files to Subbu. If he agrees that design will be the final V3. We had our troubles finding good replacements for BG caps so the waiting is for the first prototypes for testing...

Last edited:
$4 is too expensive for 2 connectors and a cable ready made? if you want the benefits thats your price unless you organize a group buy. digikey is about as good as it gets. how much would you expect something like this to cost? these must be made and tested for compliance.

no youre looking at the right thing, E14 are well known to be a ripoff, its the same here in Australia. we often pay 5-10x as much and sometimes more at farnell/Element14 vs buying the same thing from mouser or digikey, I only ever use them for very small orders or things I need the next day. otherwise even on a small order its often cheaper to buy from digikey and pay the international shipping.

that one you linked isnt even u.fl at both ends, its ufl one end and unterminated cable at the other. is that what you need? thats even cheaper at digikey, only $3 or so

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Nice build Stixx. I would have placed the transformer away from the outputs though. Despite the shielded cable it would have been better to avoid 50 Hz stray-in at all. Maybe you can use a "mumetall" sheet. I use that often and it results in total shielding. I would place the transformer to the front side of the case, move the DAC PCB closer to the RCA outputs and the shunt supply somewhat to the right (so the transformer and the shunt supply 180 degrees turned).

AFAIK you can separate the supplies of the WM8804 and the ES9023 with rev 1 boards. Since the power supply seems to have 2 outputs it would not hurt to test/try that.

With the current V3 version both SPDIF and RCA outputs have moved to the underside of the PCB so the PCB can be mounted straight to the back cover just under the RCA plugs on a metal sheet. This was a message from our marketing department.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.