ES9023 DAC PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
You are asking the wrong guy. But it is a somewhat polished standard text book LM723 design with PNP pass transistor. Nothing fancy but very good, we focussed on quality not fashion. Not many LDO's can match it I guess.

Got caught up in more important things but Subbu has the final design and he is busy testing it for you guys/girls.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
You want too much Massimo :) It uses both TH and SMD. It uses an EI30 transformer but we are having a hard time sourcing them in 115 V and 230 V versions with the same footprint and secondary voltage.

A BD140 will do. 2 x 1000 µF 25 V too but we should wait till they have been tested and things may still change.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Jean-paul do you know how much current the es9023 dac needs? I cant find any info about it (planning to build a Salas v1.0)

The first revision takes about 50 to 70 mA depending on which oscillator you use. I am really curious if a shunt supply will improve matters as the onboard regs do most work. I guess it won't do much in this application but please keep me informed if it turns out to be a better solution. It would be different if there wouldn't be onboard regs but I strongly advise to keep those as the tracks to the points they feed are short and well decoupled. It would not surprise me if added wiring would be detrimental, I am pretty sure it will be. I use Salas shunt regs in the DCB1 so I know their quality. However this is a device that carries higher frequencies so I would advise to use a shunt supply just for the 5 V if you want to use one.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I have the parts in hand to build the Salas reg so i thought to give it a try anyway (i wanna try some nice BG caps on it :)). Might try building a LM317 CCS later just for comparison purposes as well. For the 0.1uf caps on the DAC board i have some nice BGnxHiQ waiting to be soldered....

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Use 0.1 µF SMD as prescribed and you will be more happy. We did not test and make a BOM for nothing. You can use larger value BG NX HiQ at the spots where electrolytic caps are located.

Devices don't become any better with nice parts that don't fit the need at particular spots. It should not be the part that dictates the use but the application. SMD caps are the best solution for decoupling here. Please note we also use PPS film caps at some spots.

Last edited:
Use 0.1 µF SMD as prescribed and you will be more happy. We did not test and make a BOM for nothing. You can use larger value BG NX HiQ at the spots where electrolytic caps are located.

Devices don't become any better with nice parts that don't fit the need at particular spots. It should not be the part that dictates the use but the application. SMD caps are the best solution for decoupling here.

I completely agree. The only reason i will try the BGnxHiQ is just plain curiosity :D. I know that 99.999% percent i will revert back to ceramics

Hi just some tips from a too precise guy:

- please remove the excessive solder off one of the WM8804 pins, on the picture it seems to have a near short (left from C7, pin 15).

- Also remove the flux debri around the ES9023 and the oscillator with cotton tabs and some isopropyl alcohol 99% or special PCB cleaner.

- Use 4 PCB standoffs to mount the PCB without putting stress on parts in a metal casing.

- R10 and C30 don't need to be soldered when using the DAC unbalanced

Otherwise a nice build. My compliments. You used lead free solder I think ?
Yes, you are right! I will do some clean up. I pre-solder the R10 and C30 for converting it to balance down the road.

One question in regarding to using the DAC with I2S input, I don't need to solder the WM8804 and all that components associated with it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.