ES9018 opinions. Can it beat the TDA1541?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

TL, it was a 2nd hand unit (bought from some other European country if I recall) and it was not in Crete. Not sure of versions etc but I don't think it was ever sent back to AMR for any upgrades.

Your friend may wish to check that there is no damage from shipping. He may also wish to register the Machine for any remaining warranty.

Common transport damage I have seen from rough handling messes up the transports suspension (despite being shipped in a flight case AND with the transport fully arrested - I just cannot understand how the shippers still manage to completely trash it).

If it is an early generation machine, we have since re-designed the whole DAC PCB, some tuning in the "funky TDA1541 specific circuits" but mainly completely new and improved grounding.

Plus the tube stage has seen some upgrades, most crucially the coupling cap, which gives a slightly more open sound and the "anti-sinc rolloff" circuit has been changed from the LRC resonance circuit I originally published to one that uses capacitors only and non-magnetic silver mica at that.

Overall these make for a much more open sounding machine, perhaps a little less analogue sounding.

Ciao T

Thanks for the info. I'm not in contact with the owner of that specific unit anymore but a friend of mine does have another unit (so there is at least one in Crete ;) ), also bought 2nd hand. The original owner was from France I think. Anyway, I'll let him know. I'm sure he'll be interested.

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I'm not in contact with the owner of that specific unit anymore but a friend of mine does have another unit (so there is at least one in Crete ;) ), also bought 2nd hand. The original owner was from France I think. Anyway, I'll let him know. I'm sure he'll be interested.

If the CD-77 came from France it is most likely one of the two the former french distributor purchased at a very large discount (less than factory cost) and when he decided he did not want to be AMR distributor anymore dumped on the 2nd hand market at very low prices.

These two machines where very early (first generation) and as the achines where not for sale to the general public and where grey imports (at least in Crete) they carry no warranty under AMR's policies.

Ciao T

Hi,

If the CD-77 came from France it is most likely one of the two the former french distributor purchased at a very large discount (less than factory cost) and when he decided he did not want to be AMR distributor anymore dumped on the 2nd hand market at very low prices.

These two machines where very early (first generation) and as the achines where not for sale to the general public and where grey imports (at least in Crete) they carry no warranty under AMR's policies.

Ciao T

You can tell all that without a serial number?

Hi,

You can tell all that without a serial number?

Only if the Player came from France. And it is a guess, worth confirming for the owner.

It is easy to remember because of the general cafaffel when the the french ex-distributor started to dump his stock all over the net at extremely low prices, many other distributors where quite put out, as they initially thought AMR was behind this and was trying to sell direct, past the distributors.

AMR now has a new Distributor in France, but only very recently.

Hence my suspicion of any older CD-77 coming from France.

Ciao T

Hi,

Speaking of which... I have read different stories for thr best DEM reclock circuit for parallel tda1541's.

What's the latest and greatest?

Use only one TDA1541A is the latest and greatest.

A single TDA1541A from the later run is so close to the 16 Bit limits (digital zero SNR is > 18 Bit equivalent without muting), there is nothing to be gained from paralleling.

The situation is different if using non-synchronised DEM and multiple TDA1541, then the "error randomisation" is improved by using multiple chips...

Ciao T

Mmmm... Interesting. With so many manufacturers using 2 or more (both parallel and balanced) chips in their players, especially their top of the line ones.

Is there a difference when using them balanced rather than parallel?

To my ears parallelling them seemed to make a difference using 1998 tda's (not a blind test so i may have had some wishful hearing).

Also have 2 1989 single crowns lying around. Any merit in using one or two of these instead of the 1998 normal "A" 's?

Hi,

Mmmm... Interesting. With so many manufacturers using 2 or more (both parallel and balanced) chips in their players, especially their top of the line ones.

Of course they do. It is an easy sell.

1 Duck - good
2 Duck - more good
4 Duck - even more better

Is there a difference when using them balanced rather than parallel?

Yes.

To my ears parallelling them seemed to make a difference using 1998 tda's (not a blind test so i may have had some wishful hearing).

That is with synchonised DEM reclocking to a fraction of BCK?

Ciao T

Hi,

Nope... Asynchronous (meaning two separate DEM reclocking circuits). To me, dynamics seemed to improve pleasantly.

So, actually synchronous, meaning two DEM reclockers running of the same clock, yes?

As for dynamics, you made sure to keep the levels identical?

Apart from balancing being different than paralleling chips, does it sound better?

Generally I find "balanced" sounds worse than "single ended"... But it depends on a lot of factors.

Ciao T

Hi,

So, actually synchronous, meaning two DEM reclockers running of the same clock, yes?

As for dynamics, you made sure to keep the levels identical?

Generally I find "balanced" sounds worse than "single ended"... But it depends on a lot of factors.

Ciao T

I am using two of oliver's dac boards (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167414), and looking to improve by using the best setup for DEM reclocking and/or implementing an i2s inverter to achieve balanced operation.

For the record...When i tested one vs two dacs, i kept levels the same yes. Nevertheless it may have been wishful thinking

When I stacked TDA1541 with separate capacitors for pins 16 and 17 for each chip I noticed greater dynamics, but upon closer listening found there to be a lack of clarity to the high frequencies and so went back to a single chip. I suspect that there is a way to "properly" parallel this chip, but so far have not found it. Perhaps DEM reclocking both chips is the way to go? I will try it sometime soon.

Hi,

Thorsten, whilst we are on the topic of "later run", to the best of your knowledge, when did manufacture of TDA1541 stop, or is it still in production?

The TDA1541 was made until the early 90's in Holland, later production till the mid 90's somewhere else (some say USA).

As Marantz wanted to make several products using TDA1541A, the Taiwan foundary of Philips (at the time Marantz was wholly owned by Philips) started up making TDA1541 again in 96/97, primarily for Marantz. This prodution appears to have finished before 2000.

Only the CD-7 was ever seen outside Japan (Marantz had loads of Japan only products at the time, including a EL34 PP Amp called PM-66 as well).

Which year chips do you consider to be "later run" with good specs?

The Taiwan run chips are measurably quieter and have lower distortion, probably they used a much more modern semiconductor process than the earlier ones.

The TDA1541 is a purely bipolar chip operating current steering type logic, between '85 and '97 bipolar processes for IC dramatically improved.

BTW, this "bipolar current steering" is IMNSHO one of the main reasons that the TDA1541 sounds so "different" and in fact so "analogue". No other DAC, except TDA1540 and one or two other Philips "economy" DAC's ever used this...

Ciao T

As Marantz wanted to make several products using TDA1541A, the Taiwan foundary of Philips (at the time Marantz was wholly owned by Philips) started up making TDA1541 again in 96/97, primarily for Marantz. This prodution appears to have finished before 2000.

Hello Thorsten so what are these TDA1514A's that are made after 2000 as I have seen and heard a 2004 TDA1514A which Erin owns which seems to work and sound quite nice .

What do you know of these chips as in there sound quality compared to the 96/00 chips ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.