EnABLed speaker baffle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
soundsinthestix said:
Just finished the EnABL of the supertweeters I use with my Saburo's..........Another level of improvement. I have the "air" that the super tweeters add, but now I don't have the silabance (I know I must have misspelled that). Lets say it cut down the "hiss" factor.

Good stuff soundsinthestix!
Cabinet EnABL is addictive and fun isn't it?

Try doing the mouths next - a bit more work but well worth the effort.
It will take you a step closer to the 'no cabinet' sound.

Cheers,

Alex

Have just been enjoying them as is for a while. Also got side tracked by doing the Planet10 process, phase plugs, and EnABL to set of FE164's I plan on putting in Half Chili Changs. I will keep you posted on the progess on those as well. I am planning on doing the cabinet EnABL on the insides as I build them.

Cabinet EnABL on the inside of speakers is a revelation.
For me, all future speaker projects will include EnABL on the inside and outside of the cabinet - and on the drivers.
I bought one of Ed's EnABL kits and have been playing with driver EnABL as well.
I look forward to your next update. :)

Cheers,

Alex

Hi Mike,

Really, the best thing to do, to help confuse yourself, is to obtain some low tack tape, like the blue stuff for paint masking from 3M, and Alex's calculator for sizes and perform the magical rites for yourself. You will then have been infected of course, but if you take enough placebo pills you will surely be cured eventually. Or, you can just take the tape back off, without leaving any history for other investigators to discover. Perfectly safe. Won't harm any fleas nor remove hair from any creatures.

Bud

I just don't think I need to "measure" what sounds good to me.....any more than I need to "measure" what FEELs good!!!!! All I can say is that these mods sound Good to me.....and therefore make me Feel Good. You Guys (and Girls) that want to Measure them need to do these Mods.......and MEASURE THEM to see if they fit into your formulas. Right now, I can tell you that I have duplicated Dave (Planet 10's) process on FE164's and another set of FE126e's.....and they sound as good as Dave's.....................it's a pain in the *** process........so just buy Dave's........wink wink ;) ;) . The cabinet EnABL really seems to work as well......I am doing more of it to see if it makes me Feel Good. I will report back my findings.

LilMik said:
hello guys,

has anyone ever made any measurements of speaker before he enabled the baffle and after he enabled the baffle :confused:.

it would be intresing for sure.

i'm sorry, but personally, it is very hard to believe that it actually makes any significiant difference; exept the placebo effect :devilr:.

sincerely
mike :smash:

After 12 months of cabinet EnABL, I still can’t believe how good it is!
The results are clearly audible and not subtle enough to be mistaken for placebo.
Try it on your own system. Then decide for yourself.

BudP said:
Hi Mike,

Really, the best thing to do, to help confuse yourself, is to obtain some low tack tape, like the blue stuff for paint masking from 3M, and Alex's calculator for sizes and perform the magical rites for yourself. You will then have been infected of course, but if you take enough placebo pills you will surely be cured eventually. Or, you can just take the tape back off, without leaving any history for other investigators to discover. Perfectly safe. Won't harm any fleas nor remove hair from any creatures.

Bud

:D:D

soundsinthestix said:
I just don't think I need to "measure" what sounds good to me.....any more than I need to "measure" what FEELs good!!!!! All I can say is that these mods sound Good to me.....and therefore make me Feel Good. You Guys (and Girls) that want to Measure them need to do these Mods.......and MEASURE THEM to see if they fit into your formulas. Right now, I can tell you that I have duplicated Dave (Planet 10's) process on FE164's and another set of FE126e's.....and they sound as good as Dave's.....................it's a pain in the *** process........so just buy Dave's........wink wink ;) ;) . The cabinet EnABL really seems to work as well......I am doing more of it to see if it makes me Feel Good. I will report back my findings.

We should try and be patient with those who use words like ‘placebo’ and ‘measurements’.
They haven’t heard cabinet EnABL (or EnABL’d drivers), so they really don’t know that it’s as good as we claim.

LilMik is clearly skeptical, but he might also be interested in finding some real answers about EnABL.
If so, he will try cabinet EnABL for himself.
If not, expect lots more talk about ‘measurements’ as proof and ‘placebo’ as the only explanation.

Cheers,

Alex

I have question regarding baffle Enable...

If I have buffle 24 cm X 97 cm how can I calculate number and size of pairs?
Maybe 97+24=121 and use it like R of circle?
Next question is can I use PVC insulated tape to make pairs or I need something thicker ? How thick blocks must be?
There is Excel file for calculation but is it in cm or in inches?

Sorry for my bad English not my native language...
Thanks

Alf

G'day Alf,

For baffles, use 18 block pairs.
To calculate block size measure the circumference (perimeter) and enter into the calculator.
i.e. (2 x 24 cm) + (2 x 97 cm) = 242 cm

The calculated block size is 2.689 cm x 1.345 cm - which I would round to 2.6 cm x 1.3 cm.

PVC duct tape or tape of similar thickness is fine to use as block material.

Cheers,

Alex

Block size Question

First I must say I am somewhat surprised at what enAbLed baffles yield. Thanks, Bud and Alex for all the time and effort you have put in to this aspect of the enABL process.

Alex,

Having used your block calculator spreadsheet, I am using some comparatively large blocks on a small baffle 8x18 inches. On page 12 of the enABL Technical Discussion thread you wrote:
To calculate block size, I followed Bud’s suggestion and use 18 block pairs and 4 x baffle width as the circumference (you can use the attached calculator for this as well). The pattern should be applied one block depth from the edge of the baffle.

I used the actual perimeter of my baffle which is contrary to the above.

Which is the best methodology?

What is the possible impact of using smaller blocks?

Have any differences been discerned one way or the other based on differnt block sizes on baffles or else where?

The easiest to use is Alex's. Absolute perfection is not required here, so long as you end up with close to 18 pairs of blocks in two rows, offset from each other the width of a block set in periphery and the height of a block between rows.

You can just add up the outside dimensions, 16 plus 36 inches to find 52 inches, divided by 36 = 1.45 which is the space taken up by a single pair of blocks and the space between them. Divide this by 5 and you end up with two blocks 0.575" X 0.29" with a 0.29" space between them. Then you need to make two rows with eighteen of these sets per row with the rows spaced apart by 0.29". Not likely to come out perfect or very even and the blocks could easily be 0.6" X 0.3".

I would suggest using clear shelf liner paper with a stick and peel adhesivere on it for experimental purposes. It only needs to be about 0.003 inch thick material.

Bud

Dots... or.... Not

Dude... doubting thomas...

You doubt... therefore it can't work!
Cause you see what you want to see.
You hear what you want to hear.

You are what you are... no blame...

Two friends in a music room
One loves the sound...
The other hates it...

Some guys hate pussy
Some love it...

I would enAble my whole room.
Phil
Santa Fe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.