EnABLed speaker baffle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was able to use a Planet10 generic pattern that actually fit exactly where I wanted to test it. I am just starting my listening tests but so far I can sense a change in detail...but it's subtle..which is OK. Then again...this could all be in my head ;)

Attachments

• EnABLE Surround 001.JPG
    EnABLE Surround 001.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
I really don't understand how Enable works on a baffle.

Yup. neither does anyone else. Most analysis that was being done over on the technical argument thread was assuming that the patterns had to be modifying the way energy propagated within the cone. Mass loading, constrained layers of damping etc. These utube videos show something that I personally think is much more pertinent, activity that originates upon a vibrating surface but actually affects external wave propagation, out in the air.

resonance - YouTube
resonance2 - YouTube
resonance4 - YouTube
resonance3 - YouTube
Be sure you turn up the volume on these so you can hear the dialogue.

I think it shows that there are "feed back" mechanisms at work that disturb what theoretically should be coherent wave propagation AFTER the signal has been transferred from the driver into the air.

That these patterns appear to have a similar effect upon the baffle and the driver, in audible, subjective situations, does seem to support the thought that the patterns are disrupting a fixed feed back mechanism. One specifically set up and attuned to the physical parameters of the driver and the box. This because a solution for any given box is different from one for a box that differs in physical parameters, but is identical to one used for another generally identical box.

Drivers are even more particular, but the same pattern sets are completely successful upon drivers that are generally identical. That meaning that they are two drivers from the same manufacturer using the same constituent parts and having the same marketing name. Changes in materials other than the diaphragm surface that actually emits the signal, do not seem to alter the required pattern placement.

This sort of "off the box" activity is all I have been able to come up with. Assuming there are actually feed back mechanisms that do reprint the signal in the first 4ms, and there are some compelling tests that show this to be happening, and that their dispersal would be all that is needed to make sense of why we hear what we hear with a treated surface, in short, a lack of confusion, then this would also provide a description of why boxes are also treatable.

The same tests do show a great deal less of this reprint phenomena in a treated driver, same manufacturer and same production run of the same marketing part number, as test units. The drivers tested were not mounted on any baffles, just hung in free air, so we cannot claim any more than a logical connection.

Bud

Last edited:
This sort of "off the box" activity is all I have been able to come up with. Assuming there are actually feed back mechanisms that do reprint the signal in the first 4ms, and there are some compelling tests that show this to be happening, and that their dispersal would be all that is needed to make sense of why we hear what we hear with a treated surface, in short, a lack of confusion, then this would also provide a description of why boxes are also treatable.

Bud

This may explain why I hear a more distinct separation of instruments.

I really don't understand how Enable works on a baffle.

G'day Bill,

Here's my attempt at a simple explanation of how I approach this.

Firstly, I think of a baffle as a very thick, very stiff diaphragm with a very stiff surround.

Secondly, I consider eight physical elements:
1) Added mass
2) Added stiffness
3) Mechanical coupling with the pattern
4) Pattern geometry
5) Pattern location
6) Pattern scaling
7) Block material
8) Physical protrusion (block height)

All of these would be considered important when treating cones.
For baffles, points 1) & 2) usually make no significant impact, and there seems to be some flexibility in points 7) to 9).

Hopefully that makes sense. :)

Cheers,

Alex

Plotter cut self adhesive vynil

Hello guys.

I got interested in this. Instead of the laborious work of cutting adhesive tapes by hand, why not use a CAD draw and file for plotter cut. I've already ordered it.

I have Fostex Fe 138 ESR and FT28-D speakers - BVR enclosures. I plan on putting on the baffle which has a 900mm circumference (18 pieces) 10x5mm. And on the horn's mouth edge, 18 pieces, circumference 720mm -> 8x4mm

This driver has a very articulate sound, but without a parallel crossover network to tame it exhibits 3-5-10 KHz (can't remember the measurements) horrible screeching peaks that make your ears bleed. I wonder if a bit of Enabl can tame these horrible things so I can remove the crossover network.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
Front_3BA.jpg

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Attachments

• Clipboard03.png
    Clipboard03.png
    20 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.