EnABL - Technical discussion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I see 5 years on, BudP has refined the art of talking selfserving BS far
more than any technical understanding of the nonsense he patented.

rgds, sreten.

The lack of any technical credibility and integrity is unbelievable.
You really have to live in a different world to enjoy such nonsense.

Last edited:
Note, there seems to be no application onto.....say a tweeter dome...or woofer, or a large dome mid-range driver?????
It seems to be only the FR, Rice paper, for cones, lovingly grown in the Suzswahn province, harvested only on the Tuesday following the Summer soltice. Blessed by 72 Vestal virgins....handled only by the local Monks............only to be assembled in chinese factories by workers under the age of 10.

_________________________________________________Rick.........

Got a copy of Sound Reproduction by Toole for Christmas and early in the book he talks about how science cannot describe music. "Nor can science differentiate, by measurement, between the mellifluous qualities of trumpet intonations by Wynton Marsalis and those of a music student who simply hits the notes. Those are distinctions
that must be made subjectively, by listening."
I don't believe measurements can tell you everything.
MarkAudio was sent a pair of enabled drivers but could measure no differences between it and the stock drivers, but it can be heard. He believes it's basically a dampening of the cone. He is, or is going to, work with Dave of Planet10 to produce a line of enabled drivers. This is a driver designer of great integrity. Of course that wont stop some of you from launching personal attacks against him. I mean - if he sells drivers then of course he can't be trusted right?

MarkAudio was sent a pair of enabled drivers but could measure no differences between it and the stock drivers, but it can be heard. He believes it's basically a dampening of the cone. He is, or is going to, work with Dave of Planet10 to produce a line of enabled drivers. This is a driver designer of great integrity. Of course that wont stop some of you from launching personal attacks against him. I mean - if he sells drivers then of course he can't be trusted right?
Was this a set measured before, then after or just a comparison of different drivers, one treated the other not?

If it was the latter, it's not valid by any stretch of the imagination. If it was the former, then the measurements are in question. There is nothing especially difficult in making adequate measurements. Even the smallest change made to a driver is in almost all cases measurable. I've done it, literally hundreds of times, small and large. If one cannot measure a difference, either the mod is literally an insignificant change or there was something done wrong in making the measurements.

If these tests were made, have them posted, here, to be reviewed and debated with all the details related to them. I'm sure whoever treated them would likely be more than willing to give permission. If not, it's simply more hand-waving. That is for the other thread, not this one.

Dave

That's a valid point dlr. I believe Mark measures all his drivers before shipping. Whether he keeps this data or not I don't know. I think Planet10 enabled the drivers and I'm sure he does before and after measurements. Maybe one of them will weigh in. At any rate, at least we're having a conversation and not just name calling.

Place: Somewhere deep in the bowels of the JBL engineering department.
Time: The recent past or the near future.

Engineer#1" Take a look here"
Engineer#2" What happened, somebody spill some paint....that's our C500G"
#1"Yeah yeah of course it is , somebody is putting paint on our drivers, says it makes it sound 'better'.
#2" Sounds better? where's the data?
#1" There is none....just some anecdotal data"
#2" We spent some 800 Man-hours developing that driver, remember?"
#1" Yeah, yeah"
#2That problem with the dust-cap cone interface? It tool us forever to figure that one out, and this guy is painting the cones?
#1"and the impulse response, this is going to mess everything up"
#2" I'd betcha this guy is charging an arm & a leg to paint these"
#1"That's the thing, this guy is just telling people how to do it yourself....but he will do it for you, for a 'nominal' charge."
#2" Does this guy really think we haven't already explored this approach.......what was it....1972?"
#1" Ya know....there really are some loons out there"
#2" I just hope there won't be a batch of them coming into warranty because some clown uses some paint that reacts with the substrate on our cones"

______________________________________________________Rick........

jimbro; said:

"Dampening" of the cone can be measured since that will show up as less ringing or spiking of the signal.What he "believes" and what is actually happening are two different things and without measurements as proof it will always be just conjecture on his part.
Anyone who sells a product and makes claims that cannot be backed up is subject to investigation and ridicule. When money is involved then of course they are suspect as should anyone be that relies upon half truths or lies to make a living.

Its increasingly harder to find cordials and sweets with real cane sugar in them any more. If you like your driver with spots go for it I say. They look pretty. Can you put a price on beauty? If they sound better to you its a bonus! Haven't we got somebody important to attack like someone with oil reserves or something?

MarkAudio was sent a pair of enabled drivers but could measure no differences between it and the stock drivers, but it can be heard. He believes it's basically a dampening of the cone.
This is a driver designer of great integrity. Of course that wont stop some of you from launching personal attacks against him. I mean - if he sells drivers then of course he can't be trusted right?
Bud is simply claiming a preference for an unmeasurable piece of artwork, while Mark can't be trusted to provide drivers that work within his published specifications:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/199845-mark-audio-chr-70-gen1-self-destruction-3.html
Mark's responses all backpedaling the destruction of his woofers when used at 1/2 of the rated Xmax (a measure of the limit of response linearity) and refusal to note that Xmech (or Xlim, where a speaker may break) on the speaker is about half of Xmax on his spec sheet in post #42 is is a fine example of marketing BS, not integrity.

In #51 he says "We collectively know that that the bulk of light load wide-band-Full-Range drivers won't operate safely if driven very close to, or at their quoted X-max".

Funny response, we don't hear of other speakers that develop stress cracks at half their quoted Xmax.

Maybe paint dots will reduce the aluminum cracking, that would be useful ;).

Art

Last edited:
Bud is simply claiming a preference for an unmeasurable piece of artwork, while Mark can't be trusted to provide drivers that work within his published specifications:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/199845-mark-audio-chr-70-gen1-self-destruction-3.html
Mark's responses all backpedaling the destruction of his woofers when used at 1/2 of the rated Xmax (a measure of the limit of response linearity) and refusal to note that Xmech (or Xlim, where a speaker may break) on the speaker is about half of Xmax on his spec sheet in post #42 is is a fine example of marketing BS, not integrity.

In #51 he says "We collectively know that that the bulk of light load wide-band-Full-Range drivers won't operate safely if driven very close to, or at their quoted X-max".

Funny response, we don't hear of other speakers that develop stress cracks at half their quoted Xmax.

Maybe paint dots will reduce the aluminum cracking, that would be useful ;).

Art

Mark Audio has his own version of enable (the way I understand it) called MAOP. He claims something about emittance, which, as I mentioned, am not clear what that is. I'm not sure what cone treatments his MAOP has, but I doubt it would add any additional strength to the cone to resist the blown drivers he's had show up on the forums.

I don't know the spcifics of MAOP, but if Bud has a patent, would this be patent infringment? Maybe MAOP is totally different or something.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.