EnABL project, Audio Nirvana Super 12

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Dramblys,

My Enabl treatment is still a work in progress right now, I have added the zig/microgloss alternating coats to the whizzer and also some zig to the accordion surround.
So far, the "presence" of the sound is definitely better but it seems that getting rid of the shriek in the upper frequencies (I'm guessing around 12-15 Khz) won't be dealt with through Enabl, these drivers get tiring pretty fast due to these bumps in the frequency response.
I have found out that some Dacron or fiberglass stuffed between the whizzer and the main cone does a pretty good job at taming the shriek, but not enough to make the drivers enjoyable for long periods of time.
I'm starting to think that the AN Super12s are fundamentally flawed, and will need huge amounts of work to play well.

Disclaimer: I am no professional at Enabl, and this is the first pair of drivers that I Enabl completely, so I might very well not have done all the things the right way...

I have a pair of Fostex FF165wk and another of FF125wk and as long as you don't ask them to play too low, they just smoke the Super12s.

As time went by and with experience, I have also become a believer that using fullrangers to reproduce the whole spectrum (30hz-20Khz) is a very difficult thing to achieve (if ever possible) unless you have a room big enough to accommodate huge horns (but then you run into all kinds of new problems), or you are willing to listen at low SPL.
Bass reinforcement below 100hz allows fullrangers to really shine.

I have used the Super12s in OB with dual H-frame woofers as well as in David Dick's recommended big box (the 5.6) and still prefer my FF165wk in metronomes (ML-TQWT) and the FF125wk in OB.

Hope you find my input helpful.

Regards

Nick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.