EnABL - Listening impressions & techniques

Alex's file is an xml style Excel file. If Dust is using Excel pre-2007 (I think that's when MS adopted the xml file structure) he won't be able to open it. Alex, try saving it as a 2003 style Excel file type (in the Save As dialog). Extension should just be .xls, not .xlsx. I use OpenOffice so I'm not sure how robust it will be for me to do the conversion (but I've attached a file I tried it with in case). Dust, try my file. If that doesn't work, Alex should convert it and upload again.

Carl

Attachments

• Dust Baffle EnABL.xls.zip
    3.8 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Dust

Don't be concerned about the 32 block sets shown in Alex's pic. The missing four sets would have to bridge across the corners and are not really required. You can add them or not.

The number of blocks were originally chosen due to the ease with which polar graph paper (long before personal computers were available) provides convenient divisions based upon 360 degrees. As it turned out, this number was the correct choice as gross changes do provide interesting, but not entirely useful changes to the phase response across the 1k and up FR band.

Bud

Mar-Kel70mT

Another Planet10 design, MK70mt, el70 driver in a western cedar enclosure.

Bernie

Attachments

• markel70mt.jpg
    markel70mt.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 266
One person, by definition, must come to his own consensus. THAT is what I am interested in. Not a, go nowhere, "discussion".

For example, ANY design decision I make will have a reason. And even if that reason is aesthetic, or even random, or guesswork, I will admit to it. I would LOVE for someone to admit that they enabled the frame of their driver because they think it looks cool. But, whatever the reason, I want to hear it.

likely none that will find consensus

One person, by definition, must come to his own consensus. THAT is what I am interested in. Not a, go nowhere, "discussion".

For example, ANY design decision I make will have a reason. And even if that reason is aesthetic, or even random, or guesswork, I will admit to it. I would LOVE for someone to admit that they enabled the frame of their driver because they think it looks cool. But, whatever the reason, I want to hear it.

I'm not sure if my EL70eN sounds better than stock EL70 but they sure do look a lot cooler than the stock ones :)

well, having been peripherally involved with EnABL for a few years now, I've seen far too many "discussion" devolve into overboiled polemics, and haven't succeeded myself in keeping an open mind regarding the "prove it or else" school of thought - in other words, I "believe", and can lose my patience when told that it can't /doesn't work, it's placebo, etc.

speaking strictly from my experience listening to "it", some of the effects of treating surfaces other than the moving cone can be subtle, and it's very difficult to create the test conditions under which those effects can be isolated and repeated

well, having been peripherally involved with EnABL for a few years now, I've seen far too many "discussion" devolve into overboiled polemics, and haven't succeeded myself in keeping an open mind regarding the "prove it or else" school of thought - in other words, I "believe", and can lose my patience when told that it can't /doesn't work, it's placebo, etc.

speaking strictly from my experience listening to "it", some of the effects of treating surfaces other than the moving cone can be subtle, and it's very difficult to create the test conditions under which those effects can be isolated and repeated

I have side by side, double blind studied both he planet 10 126 and the regular 126, in identical cabinets with exactly the same stuffing measured out to the gram. As a scientist at heart (Sensation and Perception Psychologist) I can, as well as my 92 students last term notice a difference in what they hear/perceive. Now what they notice is the smoothness of the midrange and the additive to the lower octaves. Of the 92 students in the last 180 days, 87 picked the enabled version.. I am keeping documentation for setup and execution of the test to make sure reliability and validity are keep stringent. In the end, you spend your money on what you like to listen too and the cost of a JND (just noticeable difference) in improvement is up to you on what it is worth. I know.. feel free to drag this somewhere else.... not in full range pictures.. JP

I have side by side, double blind studied both he planet 10 126 and the regular 126, in identical cabinets with exactly the same stuffing measured out to the gram. As a scientist at heart (Sensation and Perception Psychologist) I can, as well as my 92 students last term notice a difference in what they hear/perceive. Now what they notice is the smoothness of the midrange and the additive to the lower octaves. Of the 92 students in the last 180 days, 87 picked the enabled version.. I am keeping documentation for setup and execution of the test to make sure reliability and validity are keep stringent. In the end, you spend your money on what you like to listen too and the cost of a JND (just noticeable difference) in improvement is up to you on what it is worth. I know.. feel free to drag this somewhere else.... not in full range pictures.. JP

this I hadn't heard about - very interesting

this I hadn't heard about - very interesting

I typically don't spout off this info no matter the positive or negative correlations due to ????/ I just don't.. When we discuss the functions of the ear and the actions it take to process stimuli in to electrical energy back to the brain- I always do some kind of double blind study in "perception" to see what happens.. "the if?" At the time, I had been putting effort in to the MKIII build and was very appreciative of the help and results. Musical choices where from students: Green Day American Idiot cd, The JayHawks, Semisonic and others. They appreciated a short time of listening to music and not having to do "work" I had my friend set it up behind black 4 ft by 6 foot screens (black speaker cloth) and he took all the data.

Very interesting and quite an effort i´d say. :)

What kind of negative control did you / do you use in the test?
And i´d be very interested in the other details of the setup and execution.