EnABL - Listening impressions & techniques

Keep it all together, if you can, IMOpinion.

If there are some more specific examples, photos, etc, perhaps transfer them to the "How to ..." thread and perhaps a link to the "Headwize" site.
I never gave a thought to adding "dots" to the headcup/frame - very interesting.

Have AKG k701s, Beyer 880s, etc that have similar headcups with a number of edges, flat and curves, plus an old pair of the Senn HD424s (still functioning perfectly after 25 years) - be interesting to see what happens with "dotting" the plastic "spider arms" that hold the assembly - nothing much else to do apart from replacing the wiring loom!

When you thing about it, it's just "box dots" next to your ears and is an obvious application of the whole idea of EnABLing patterns. The changes should show up immediately.

Fascinating thing, this EnABLing - and strange how it produces such extreme reactions from much of the more conservative sections of our community! It's similar to the remarkable reluctance to learn the basics about room acoustics and such, so not surprised that adding simple room corner patterns hasn't met with much acclaim.

Not yet, anyway - still early days.

Here is a pic of Gilbert Young's finished listening room. Note that he has used room treatment in addition to EnABL room wall treatment and that the speaker cabinets are fully treated. He says that the music is wall to wall, floor to ceiling, perfectly proportioned and as close to live as he knows about, by visiting live venues.

Hi Rez pic is located at my picasa site here. Just look for the rest of Gilbert's pics, this one is at the end.
http://picasaweb.google.com/hpurvine

Bud

Attachments

• gilberts finished room -1.jpg
    gilberts finished room -1.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 587
Alright. Well since I'm out of a good source of income, my planet 10 enabl'd chr70's are on hold. I will just enabl my tb871s at home myself. If I am understanding this correctly...

I will print off the generic template, and scale it down until the dots are at the edge of the surround. Then I will cut out the center so it will sit lower. I am using my own type of paint (experiment) for copying the dots. After that I will apply microgloss with a 7:1 cut.

sounds approximately right?

thanks!

whoa! you have one done! cool. so I guess it works? is yours paint? it looks more like a marker? Im actually debating that my paint is too thin and wont provide enough of a bump.. if you have a higher res one that would be even more awesome. im going blind counting the dots in your picture to make sure i have the same..

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have 2 pair done... the spots are standard pollyscale (blue in this case, csx grey on the others)... standard pattern ring at the surround, and at the dust cap. A ring pair as close as possible to the top of the at rest voice coil on the phase plug, a set just where it really starts to "fold" over and the 12 spot set at the top (+PVA nipple). 2 coats of 50% gloss on the cone, 1 on the phase plug (careful you don't getting any in the voice coil gap)

I just used my FE207 whizzer template IIRC.

dave

alright. i will look one more time for that acrylic paint, if i can't find it i am just going to use a different type of acrylic flat paint. the paint i was planning to use is much to thin i decided. it just soaks right into the paper and doesn't sit on top. or is the paint supposed to soak into the paper? I have my template printed out to fill the cone, and cut out the center for the phase plug already. i think because of the large surround piece the cone seems much smaller than a 3"

Greets!

I do my best to accomodate those who want partial kits or to restock items. I understand (and share) the concern for S & H on small orders. Multiple-source S & H for the one-off kit would (I think) keep many from participating...I think we need more to experience EnABL and decide for themselves. That's why I do it.

Let me know if I can help.

Happy Hunting ;)

BudP said:
GENERAL NOTICE!!!!

For all of those of you who have not yet begun to use those neat kits that Ed provided you with and have not tripped over Lon's new thread go here now! We are going to get Lon up and EnABLing, along with Planet 10's trifoil Damar pattern and Puzzlecoat pre-EnABL activities.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1861199#post1861199

Bud

Lon tripped over this post today.

:)

Greetings,

I have done some EnABLing on my NSBs (the Pioneer 50 centers offered at PE years ago.)

Today I hooked up one EnABL and one plain vanilla each mounted in a like enclosure to my Yamaha RP U100 SS receiver. I was using mostly test tones and and A/B slider feature.

I have mentioned elsewhere that I doubt if my hearing is good enough to make these judgments. I can still tell loudness though. The stock sounds louder to me in an A/B test.

That's all I have to report.

Thanks to Budp for the helpful top post directed to this thread.

I'll scroll back a bit and see what's going on here.

Listening tests continue with my EnABL project. I have taken thois out of the EnABL How To which is sort on hold for some and want to hear from the listeners what to expect from thr EnABL technique.

Today I used some of the Marchand online test tones just as a quickie because my test tone cd came from another source and only plays in the cd/dvd player.

The test tones at low frequencies seemed similar for level with one EnABL Pioneer NSB and one homebrew phase plugged Pioneer NSB.

When I jumped up to 10,000hz there seemed to be the difference in loudness favoring the non-EnABL driver that I mentioned before.

These are rough tests to be sure. And crude as well. Perhaps a test tone could be used as a proof of concept: eg 'this is what you are supposed to hear for a good EnABL job.'?

Comments welcome.

Music tests will go on as well. I will be able to return to the actual job of application soon. I've just had some dry hands where it was painful to use the pen and nib.

loninappleton, test tones and all that...

consider that we humans hear distortion as loudness. How loud are clock radios? Pretty sure it's all the distortion that we react to , and often call it "loudness".

I've come to the opinion that if music sounds "a little boring" it is perhaps due to the lack of distortions and the false sense of dynamics that can accompany these distortions.

The systems that I have put together over the years (either as a salesman or a hobbyist) that initially sound a little boring, really stand the test of time and in fact are non-fatiguing and more musical to listen to.

I am still of the opinion that EnABL reduces the reflections and impedance mismatches due to the varying materials, and that it is a boundary effect (or rather a reduction of a boundary effect) that is responsible.

lon, just listen and enjoy, and of course report back, 'cause I'm chicken to actually do the EnABLing myself.

Well I'm not chicken per se so long as my main rig is performing fine.

To get the boundary layer effect whether boring, loud or not I think open baffle is the only neutral test variation. I wish I had some big slabs of fool- around- material to use for this kind of setup. I have too many variables inside and outside the box-- mismatches which whether big or slight is telling me that my phase plug side sounds better. I'm talking about things like one note bass and such. So while my experiments are unreliable I do not know of a test with no gotchas.