• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

EnABL kit

one more quick question the trifoil damar ring . it goes on first.? not nessessary.? get some and do it. ???????? i'm into about 40 hours of breakin on my 126's and really like the sound. Even though i built the FGH's out of MDF... I know that makes people shudder......LOL Thanks again

Ed hi, one more question to thicken up the polly scale paint to do its job correctly , do we just let it sit out until the right consistency is achieved ,or do we add something to it to thicken it . At this consistency the paint wont be thick enough to do thjob its meant to do. Thanks Kevin

This is a first for me. I am more accustomed to thinning the paint for ease of application.
If a thicker consistency is desired, yes, the moisture content must be reduced. Any paint "left out to dry" will skin over. That solidified paint will contaminate the remainder.
So, frequent mixing during moisture reduction may be needed to prevent the phase change into the "skin".
Let me know how that goes.

You only need about 0.002 thick when dried from a self contained blob. You do need the surface tension capable of holding a defined shape on an angled surface, with 30 deg from horizontal being a reasonable median. The smaller Fostex 12* series drivers do have a greater angle than this at the voice coil, but the spots applied there are just roundish dots and rather small. I use straight from the bottle polyscale clear flat without any worries and regularly use older material that has been recut with alcohol to thin it and it is thinner than stock at that point. I think I would experiment on a piece of clear plastic packaging, from any of the myriad of hard plastic packages we all encounter. If a line from an A2 or A1 pen tip has enough surface tension that it does not run when an angle stress is applied, you should be good. As for sinking into the cone material, not a problem at all. it will work as well, even if you cannot feel a lump when dragging a finger tip over a dry pattern. Of course if the paint is so thin it just blotters into the cone that is not a good thing at all.

Do let us know what you find please. Every bit of data helps.

Bud

The Micro Gloss actually spreads the effectiveness of the pattern rings out into areas that do not require a full ring set. We could do an even better job of suppression with a fractal devolution of the main patterns, but attempting this by hand is not worth the effort. You really want to join in on the treatment thread here.

EnABL - Listening impressions & techniques - diyAudio

We can provide you with detailed instructions and point you to a couple of teaching posts on basic skills you must acquire.

Bud

Sales of kits have slowed to a point where I question the value to continue. I have some remaining stock of paint. I would need to replenish nibs and holders in order to provide kits. Any decision going forward will be determined by interest.

If you've been considering buying an EnABL kit, do it now.
If Ed decides to cease his excellent service, the cost of buying the stuff supplied in the kit separately is almost double due to a minimum shipping fee of $20 when buying micro gloss from the supplier. Now you know.

Cheers,

Alex