Emotiva XPA-1 vs Jungson 99D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So what if I have Brand X speaker that is inefficient and requires lots of current and power to drive, then what ??

Fair question Trevor.

Pretty much the same as my question.
What Is a good affordable, but very good, 100+ to 200W+ audiophile quality amp. It seems like there is no overwhelming support for the Emotiva, so that one is probably off my list unless someone wants to come to its defense.

The Jungson, I fear is too low powered for what I want, again, unless someone who has heard one wants to argue the case for it.

The NASKA although may be very good, I just could not bring myself to spend that sort of money on a kit I have to assemble myself.

Happily accepting other sensible amplifier suggestions?

Last edited:
TNT audio have stated it is one of the most cost effective well designed and beautifully built Chinese amplifiers on the market and had nothing but praise for the amplifier :confused:

:

Perhaps the reviewer was given one as a gift...:D

That said , construction is not that good...
too many wires and cheap connectors on the pcbs..
Overall, only 6 power devices per channel, that s just plain
insufficent for a Class A 100W/channel amp that wants to play
in the great names s yard...
It s light years far from the likes of Accuphase...

other than that, i did read that the Emotiva noise was due
to ground loops within the test apparatus, but even not
taking account of the said noises, THD figures are still
miserable...

Last edited:
Perhaps the reviewer was given one as a gift...:D

That said , construction is not that good...
too many wires and cheap connectors on the pcbs..
Overall, only 6 power devices per channel, that s just plain
insufficent for a 100W/channel amp that wants to play
in the great names s yard...
It s light years far from the likes of Accuphase...

other than that, i did read that the Emotiva noise was due
to ground loops within the test apparatus, but even not
taking account of the said noises, THD figures are still
miserable...

Those power devices look massive to me though ? :D

As for connectors then can be changed can they not ? :)

I am just hoping also that it is not being dismissed because it is Chinese and the stereo type that is attached with this . :)

I was looking for a good second hand Accuphase unit before I heard of the Jungson JA 99D I currently have a Marantz 170 DC which I like but I am having trouble finding original Hitachi 2SC1775A and 2SA872A transistors for it as the later made ones sound terrible compared to the original units .

So I am kind of fed up with trying to source parts for old amps or having to recap a used Accuphase or Mc Intosh so was hoping the Jungson JA 99D would be an end all solution to having these infernal problems with old and second hand amps . :confused:

I do not need the Jungson to be a world beater (as it seems too difficult a task for any amplifier to do as there are so many variables and opinions) but at least in the same ballpark something maybe to later on tinker with a few mods to improve an already good base it is a $1,564 U.S. amp after all . :spin:

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
erin, do not take me wrong, I am not pushing you to buy JungSon, I just know they make excellent stuff
(unlike some other chinese pretenders...vincent for instance)

in my humble opinion you should make an amp yourself, that's what diy is about
if you do not feel comfortable make it from scratch, buy a kit
AKSA would be good chice, or what others suggested, go local, buy from your designers

Last edited:

Attachments

• Jungson JA99d inside2.jpg
    Jungson JA99d inside2.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 522
erin, do not take me wrong, I am not pushing you to buy JungSon, I just know they make excellent stuff
(unlike some other chinese pretenders...vincent for instance)

in my humble opinion you should make an amp yourself, that's what diy is about
if you do not feel comfortable make it from scratch, buy a kit
AKSA would be good chice, or what others suggested, go local, buy from your designers

adason, I appreciate your comments.

I actually have a Benchmark amplifier made in Melbourne Australia. It is a very good amp. I have had it about 5 years, and been very happy with it. unfortunately it does not quite have enough power for my needs.

My next amp has to be a big step up in sound. I don't think anyone around here would have heard a Benchmark, my only criticism of it is that occasionally it could be accused of being a bit grainy sounding. Mostly I don't notice this. Otherwise it is very neutral and detailed and gives a good soundstage. Just not enough power for me. They don't make them anymore.

I'm happy to go down the kit amp route, but its also nice to take something new and assembled out of its box and plug it in for the first time. (don't you think)

The top of the line Aspen Soraya CB105 gets very good reviews, but I don't think I should stretch my budget that much. And I just feel weird about spending so much money on the other ASKA kits when they are just a small stuffed PCB. I know I am paying for the sound not the parts. But I just feel weird about it.

Anyone want to talk me around?

Fair question Trevor.

Pretty much the same as my question.
What Is a good affordable, but very good, 100+ to 200W+ audiophile quality amp. It seems like there is no overwhelming support for the Emotiva, so that one is probably off my list unless someone wants to come to its defense.

The Jungson, I fear is too low powered for what I want, again, unless someone who has heard one wants to argue the case for it.

The NASKA although may be very good, I just could not bring myself to spend that sort of money on a kit I have to assemble myself.

Happily accepting other sensible amplifier suggestions?

Why not post the same message on dtv forum. Some of those dudes are setup to listen to music not just only dvd's ;)

Why not post the same message on dtv forum. Some of those dudes are setup to listen to music not just only dvd's ;)

Im not a member there, but I might just join.

Been reading more on the ASKA amps here:
LIFEFORCE: Listening Impressions II

And thinking that they might be good:bulb:
Still worried 100W is not enough.

Does anyone think that 100W is enough for Kef concerto?
I like to give them a good flogging.:D

There's also the option to get a JA99D and redo the amp boards (DIHY ?), if it's really that cheap.

Twelve pairs of A1295/C3264 make a nice starter for mmm, i don't know, let's say a Mini-JC1 ? :clown:

This is the amplifier I am thinking of getting the Jungson JA 99D :D

Orenc sell them for this price and the JA 88D 09 model is even cheaper
have a look at their there website

Redo the amp boards in what way ? :)

Hello ,

I'm familiar with the emotiva of the 2 you listed, the monoblocs actually , good sounding amp and i have one associate who use's a pr to drive apogees. I have also spoken to others who have used the stereo amplifiers and gave rave results, from the sound of the monoblocs i have no reason to doubt them..

I would err and go with the emotiva, absolutely one of the best performance bargains available today in there price range IMO..

Cheers

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Why so , is this based on the topology or execution of the emotiva vs the NASKA ?

Just a strong hunch based on all the care & attention Hugh puts into getting the sonics right. And the niggly feeling that the price/performance of the larger amp might be too good to be true -- but some pretty amazing things can be done by "Made in China"

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.