Emitter resistor at output stage transistor.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I believe that for most audio applications, standard 5W, ceramic boxed WW resistors < OR5 can be considered non-inductive. This is what you see on most DIY amplifiers posted here and in commercial amplifiers too. I've also encountered many tubular 2, 3 and 5W WW types that are significantly inductive (~1 uH) so there are differences in construction - perhaps by using lower resistivity wires and more turns in these open types.

I guess there will always be some brands that are exceptions but it's good to know that most of these cheap, durable and widely available parts can be fine.

Question
What kind of advantages or disadvantages brings the change of the emitter resistors
Let say we change every 0,22 Ohm WW or Ceramic 3W 5% resistor with 5 parallel x 1R Metal Film 0,6W 1% resistors ?

Of course I'm talking about the change in PCB layout prototype

None.

If you use the correct resistor value and ensure it never runs hot/warm then you should not be able to measure any difference in performance.
There's no accounting for the bat eared fraternity, that will claim anything to get attention and sales.

the inductance of the single huge resistor ( dimesions) would be more then 50nH
In case 5 parallel small 0,6W resistors total inductance is the common inductance value ( around 10nH) divided by the number of inductors being connected in parallel.
So the total inductace should be ( even considering additionall PCB traces) much lower then the single one
Isyn't the inductace of the emiter resostors ( in power transistor) important factor ?

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi ...

In Linear Audio Volume 1 there's an article on distortion in resistors. The author measures various known and less known resistors and there's actually quite some difference between resistor types.

A relatively cheap resistor is the Xicon 1% metal film resistor (e.g. available from Mouser). One - to me - interesting observation in the article is that higher wattage resistors typically have a lower distortion value (about 6 dB from 1/4 watt to ½ watt).

Best regards,

Jesper

There is some merit to low inductance resistors in emitter circuits but this would actually be more important in MOSFETs AND assuming you have done a lot of work on PCB routing, AND you insist on designing an extremely wideband amplifier. Normally just bending the legs of a through-hole component will give you more inductance than the actual component, unless it's an inductor :) and in most cases the wire and trace routing will contribute FAR more.
Another reason why the resistor should be taken with a grain of salt is that for most high-performance power BJTs, that's only the 'external' resistor, adding to internal resistive structures. Case in point would be the average LAPT BJT.
A change in the value of the resistor does indeed have influence as it changes a few things like output stage gm, output resistance, and of course the required idle current for minimum distortion, however this would be far beyond the scope of a simple answer.
Changing a wirewound or packed-foil resistor with a metal film or similar resistor will change behavior in the case of overload. Wirewound resistors can withstand very high peak currents and dissipation, compared to the rated value. More than metal film etc resistors, which in the case of drastic and potentially catastrophic overload, may result in the resistor going open rather than the BJT giving up the magic smoke.

The distortion in a resistor will always be entirely negligible whan compared with the distortion in the active devices in a typical SS PP output stage. Resistor distortion may (just) be worth thinking about for a feedback resistor, but not for the emitter resistors.

Choosing the right value or equivalently choosing the right quiescent current is far more important than worrying about what type of resistor. Gnats and camels?

(...)

Choosing the right value or equivalently choosing the right quiescent current is far more important than worrying about what type of resistor. Gnats and camels?
Right now I have a couple of burned emitter resistor I can't identify their values. Even with DMM.

Usually the values are from 0.22 to 0.33 to 0.47 ohms 5 watts.

Can the 0.33 ones be used in a replacement if we don't know the right value?

Technical Brain Amp

@ Bigun

Only $69,995/pair :eek:

Revolutionary circuit technology that guarantees stable operation without any emitter resistors* Patent number: 4284102 (Japan Patent Office)

http://www.technicalbrain.co.jp/en/TBP(EX).pdf

The only JP Patent with that # i found is this

INDUSTRIAL GAS TURBINE ENGINE BLADE, AND ITS MANUFACTURE
Japanese Patent JP04284102 INDUSTRIAL GAS TURBINE ENGINE BLADE, AND ITS MANUFACTURE - GENERAL ELECTRIC CO <GE>

Not TB ? If anyone can locate the patent, please post the link :)

Technical Brain TBC Zero Review and Test | Hi-Fi

Emitter resistors can & have been be eliminated in amps before now. But "usually" with just one output pair !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.