Electronics World Magazine have lost the plot..!!!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> why should magazine contributors wait so long for payment?

Publishing "has always been that way".

It isn't real good for the authors. But where would authors be without publishers? The nature of the racket gives publishers the upper hand, no matter how unfair that is.

> Dear Michael, 1. 2. 3. 4.

WOW!!!

Most rejections are a 1-line form-letter. Most acceptances are also 1-line. It is very unusual (even suspicious) that an editor will take the time to write 260 words, even for a project s/he would take after re-writing.

Also interesting that she says "assumption that ...audio design ..great interest ...is, sadly, a wrong one" and then implies that she'll take it for free. So she wants an interesting rag, but at this point she needs to fill space at low/no cost, even if not what "surveys say" the readers want.

I think you could ask for $100 and settle for $50.

> their servers aren't meant to be file download servers!?

EVERYTHING is a file.

Put up a web page: "Welcome to my site! Here is a picture of my cat! Here is an audio article that my cat wrote!" One HTML file, one JPEG file, and one PDF file. The ISP doesn't care if the cat really wrote the article or not, as long as nobody complains about the cat's foul language or plagiarism. (There are a few web-hosts that handle a PDF as an "unknown file", instead of telling the browser to find Acrobat or equivalent. Quite a few try to block MP3s, because they can be big, one popular MP3 can swamp the wire, and so many MP3s are illegal copies.)

Chris, to Dan> You have one of the best forums around. One that holds my interest. ...this site really helps more people than you realise...

Amen.

PRR said:
> Put up a web page: "Welcome to my site! Here is a picture of my cat! Here is an audio article that my cat wrote!" One HTML file, one JPEG file, and one PDF file. The ISP doesn't care if the cat really wrote the article or not, as long as nobody complains about the cat's foul language or plagiarism. (There are a few web-hosts that handle a PDF as an "unknown file", instead of telling the browser to find Acrobat or equivalent. Quite a few try to block MP3s, because they can be big, one popular MP3 can swamp the wire, and so many MP3s are illegal copies.)

B-one.net mean that they don't like obvious unsuitable download areas (unsuitable material) but they don't seem to mind downloadable files which are a bit related to the other html, jpeg files.

The magazine's readership has been in decline for years and many have written to tell us that they are giving up on the magazine because it has only been focusing on audio and not much else.

Now they don't seem to be focussing on anything at all anymore ....

It is interesing that only two subjects caused >80% of the reader responses in EW: Physics and audio.
So I wonder why audio is regarded as unpopular ?!

Regards

Charles

Oh dear, oh dear! The October issue of Electronics World just plopped through the letterbox. On page 36 we find an article on "How to dismantle a PC" and most of the rest of the issue deals with generalities that any reasonably intelligent person would count as part of their general knowledge. If the readership of EW is indeed increasing then it is serving a very different audience to the contributors to this forum. I have to revise my previous statement about carrying on my subscription to the bitter end. If EW carries on like this I certainly won't renew, in fact I doubt if I'll even read the remaining issues of my subscription.
It seems to me that articles of the kind proposed by Mikeks wouldn't fit with the current editorial content of EW anway. Maybe offering no payment was a subtle way of discouraging him from contributing. I think that EW is now a consumer magazine pitched at a readership just below Practical Electronics, not a semi learned journal as in the past. As such I can't see how any ( academic, engineering ) prestige attaches to publication in EW anymore. A real pity to see what was arguably the world best electronics journal reduced to this.

Extracts from : EW November 2004, p24

"As with my previous article, this writing has been long in completion, then freely passes on to Electronics World for publication. Sincere thanks are threfore due to the entire EW team for their substantial donations paid directly to the Marie Curie Cancer Care Nursing Service."

Graham Maynard

"Graham hopes to come back soon... [...]"

~~~~~~~~ Forr

§§§

I will soon be an ex-subscriber! I was going to say that Novembers issue does have it's uses... but I think the paper is not soft enough:cannotbe:
It's all gone REALLY pear shaped since Svetlana came along, she should have stuck to making valves. I wonder if she/the publishers know just what the readers think? (the ones represented here anyway....I can't see anyone making any favourable comments about the direction the mags gone in).
It's all a great pity 'cos it used to be THE electronics mag, unrivelled.
Jez.

phase_accurate said:
That's a pity indeed. :(

Maybe it's my fault - since I didn't renew my subscription that ended this August (due to the decrease of interesting content). ;)

Regards

Charles

Why should it be Your fault???
Since about one year i found only "rubbish" in it, this looks on to the responsibility of Svetlana!
I didn't renew also in August, i read this Magazin since 1971!

Regards
Heinz!

Originally posted by phase_accurate

Now they don't seem to be focussing on anything at all anymore ....
So I wonder why audio is regarded as unpopular ?!

Regards

Charles
`````````````````````````````````````````````````````

audio unpoular? not really...

this is a common scam to get someting for nothing

bad mouth it, then accept it for free,out of 'kindness'

I am doing the following proposition : let's a few persons of this forum email to Svetalana to make her know the existence of this thread of DiyAudio forum.

I started to buy WW in 1978 (with two superb articles from Baxandall and Linkwitz) . Self started its series on amplifiers in 1993 and I never missed an issue since then. I became anxious when EW became very thin just before Phil Read's arriving. The unjustified length of Graham Maynard's articles with a so poor content and so badly writtent has probably dissuaded many old suscribers to spend more money on this magazine. I renewed two monthes ago but I fear the magazine will definitely disappear before long.

~~~~~ Forr

§§§

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.