ebay:Weiliang Dual X2 AK4399 DAC with LCD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi 730user, the link is directed to a clone Musical Fidility tube buffer X10-D which is very interesting. It is only a buffer without gain and I don't know if it is possible to connect to AK4399 output and generate sufficient gain to drive the preamp. However, it costs peanuts and I just bought one to try it out. Besides using it for DAC, I think this could also generate some tube-taste for my jFET phono preamp too. Let see.

Dave, I hope Lampizator can have a tube amp for balanced out DAC (like AK4399) converting to SE output. Yet, I cannot find such in his shop and besides, his price is similar to that of UTO. I hae been using UTO for 5 years and it never disappointed me when connected to different DACs.
Hi Sunsun sorry I didn't notice this question before.
I did not buy a kit from Lampizator site but copied from his circuit diagrammes because by the time post and duty was added it worked out expensive.
I copied his 6Nxp SE kit plus two x tube psu kits.
Mine is all hard wired no pcbs.
I have since changed the tubes to Phillips E88CC SQ which gave me a less forward sound but give me more detail and a even bigger soundstage.
I also used bigger caps in psu and better output silver pio caps.

controller board

Has anyone schematic or component side photo of microcontroller board? I purchased as kit. While populating the kit, I noticed that there are two diode look alike footprints on the pcb (near 30pF capacitors) but there aren't suitable diodes in kit to fit there. Is it 1n4148? Can you confirm that? Also I can't read led's footprint, can you point out its proper mount direction?

There is a 2sb647 transistor footprint but I is not in use I think.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of the board. The LED is also on my board, but doesn't work. I think you can leave it.

Attachments

• ak4113-ak4399-2-mono-24bit-dac-diy-kitsoftware-control-w-lcd-display10.jpg
    ak4113-ak4399-2-mono-24bit-dac-diy-kitsoftware-control-w-lcd-display10.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 423
Here is a picture of the board. The LED is also on my board, but doesn't work. I think you can leave it.

Thank you.

Diodes look like 1n4148.

Did you populate this board yourself? One of 4-pin molex cable headers seem unpopulated.

There is a solder lump on B647 footprint. Looks like all of transistor pins connected together. Can you confirm this please?

No, I didn't populate the board, I bought the DAC ready made. The 4 pin molex is also absent on my pcb (at the DAC side), but they used an ordinary 4 pin header instead, which is easier to disconnect too. On the micro controller board I have 2 molex'es. So my advice would be to use the 4 pin molex on the micro controller pcb instead.

I think diode type isn't important, use a small one that fits.

The solder lump is indeed connecting 3 pins together. Just use a wire and solder it.

The resistor at the bottom, near pin 16, is used to set display back light current, you can increase it's value to manipulate back light intensity (lower it).

Hi terranigma
The diodes could also be used as voltage level converters, to be able to communicate with the AK4113/AK4118, which is a 3.3V device. It's explained here.

I can't see what types are used on my pcb. Do you know what pins they are connected to? Maybe we can solve it this way.

Last edited:
Hi terranigma
The diodes could also be used as voltage level converters, to be able to communicate with the AK4113/AK4118, which is a 3.3V device. It's explained here.

I can't see what types are used on my pcb. Do you know what pins they are connected to? Maybe we can solve it this way.

Thanks for input.

Footprint shows a diode type component with cathode mark thus I know how to place it..I just soldered 1n4148 types. I want to use my Amanero usb/i2s interface and I'm trying to figure out how to install it without much trouble. I plan to use smalL signal relays to switch between onboard spdif-i2s and amanero.

I fired up the board but things didn't go as I expected. Very distorted sound and one channel is not working. I measured voltages and digital supply was above 7V then it is not surprise that things didn't go well. I don't know why regulator caused such thing. I was using On Semi MC7805 in place of LT1085 by bending legs and implementation was right..Maybe I shouldn't solder the chips until measuring the voltages at regulator outputs.

Now I have to obtain new chips.

Last edited:
Hi,
Very interested in this DAC. It seems to be different opinions on which versions to get (AK4113 vs AK4118), is there finally a consensus on which one is preferable (I am planning to change the condos) ?

Also does someone compared it to the Subbu v3 ? Should I expect better results from this dual AK4399 ?

Thank you very much.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.