ebay:Weiliang Dual X2 AK4399 DAC with LCD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
caps

Hi all!
I bought a similar board with AK4113, but the yuan-jing.com developer:
yuan-jing.com dual ak4399 - My Photo Gallery
With op-amp OP01 very good sound. But in addition I decided to replace caps and regulator. I made the table of replacement of caps:
Caps - My Photo Gallery
Somebody can estimate these replacements? Everything is correct, can be you shouldn't change many caps? Can be better other caps?

kukynas,

Thank you for the links. Did you order something from partsconnexion.com? The have good prices, but they don't tell the shipping cost before I make an order. I think, when you buy something you should know the total before you make a commitment to buy.

Last edited:
Hi all!
I bought a similar board with AK4113, but the yuan-jing.com developer:
yuan-jing.com dual ak4399 - My Photo Gallery
With op-amp OP01 very good sound. But in addition I decided to replace caps and regulator. I made the table of replacement of caps:
Caps - My Photo Gallery
Somebody can estimate these replacements? Everything is correct, can be you shouldn't change many caps? Can be better other caps?

It's just my opinion ;)
if you want "spectacular" improvements :key: .One way is the power supply !!!
Each time i have replaced the 317/337 ...lt 1083/4/5 by a salas reg shunt .:p:p
Each time the improvements were positive :nod::nod:

can be you shouldn't change many caps? Yes i a m agree with you :D
Serge

Morpheus,
I paid around $12 for shipping cost to CZ, you can always ask for shipping cost via email prior to your order...

kukynas, thank you for your advise!

Do you know whether Elna Cerafine 10v/25v can be used to replace ROE 47uf on this board? I ask because the size may not match this specific board. Did you make such a replacement? How it affects the sound?

The ROE sounds good until

I replaced all caps surrounding the DAC with tantalum 10uF, the music becomes more dynamic and clean. However after a week or two, I feel its too much therefore I only left the digital with tantalum and changed all others to Rubycon ZL 33uF. These 33uF are what I have in the drawer and the reproduction is more airy and musical.

I also changed the caps after the regulators to larger caps - digital supply with 220uF Panasonic OSCON; analog with 330uF Rubycon ZA. The improvement is significant.

Anyhow, I don't believe those ROE are authentic.

Last edited:
See post #630 regarding the regulators.
Morpheus, the WIMA film and foil have been the chosen replacements for the smaller capacitors on my board, well worth it. I was lucky and found some of the FKP1 at a local surplus store for a fair price.
Around the DAC chip, I have used some surplus polycarbonate just to help soften the digital sheen that comes along with the territory.

caps and dog

i found this on in a more expensive board. it seems clever; 3x Sanyo Oscon on digital rail and 2x Elna silmic on analog.
but these caps do not like bypassing!?

Attachments

• AK4699 caps_det.JPG
    AK4699 caps_det.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 452
The oscon are very effective on the digital side of the dac, after the cerafine that's near the regulator, in my case.
And no, they don't like bypassing, I've also noticed.
I read that there was to be a jumper placed over the adjustment resistor on the board, so that would lead me to think that the on semi regs are fixed...

Last edited:
It's just my opinion ;)
if you want "spectacular" improvements :key: .One way is the power supply !!!
Yes, that's also my experience. But, on the other hand, if you regard power supply as the whole system of rectification, regulation, traces, decoupling etc, capacitors are also part of it. For the analog stage, a shunt regulation could mean a big step forward indeed IMO, almost no caps needed anymore ;)

Regarding the lt1085 and the rest of the regs-are they fixed voltage regs or they
Adjustable regulators ? I want to replace them but don!t know which ones to order.
The MC7805ACT is a fixed +5V regulator.

Magicwolf: I checked your pictures. You have version 1 PCB. First of all I wouldn't recommend changing all those caps or other mods in 1 time. All things interact, you must decide what's best in your setup. Reed this thread to find out what has been done. Regarding the capacitors:
area 2: you don't need the 3 if you use the MC7805ACT. If you want to keep LM337/317, the bigger the cap, the less noise. There's lots of info about getting the best out of the 337/317 on the internet.
area 10, 11: don't modify these values, unless you want to change filter. Search this thread on discussions about the filter.
area 8: I would recommend 1u instead of 100n. Wima or Evox Rifa MMK. You could also try polypropylene, if you can fit them ;)
area 9: leave it, unless you use toslink spdif
area 5: Silmic probably won't be better, it's for analog +5V for microcontroller/display
area 1: definitely change the main caps to Elna 8200u/35V! I think this is what everybody here agrees upon.

Regards,
Nino

The oscon are very effective on the digital side of the dac, after the cerafine that's near the regulator, in my case.
And no, they don't like bypassing, I've also noticed.
I read that there was to be a jumper placed over the adjustment resistor on the board, so that would lead me to think that the on semi regs are fixed...
Hi phase,
So you got rid of the 100n ceramic bypass on DVDD then? I once tried a 220u OSCON, which I had laying around, didn't like the result, but I didn't remove the ceramic though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.