eBay purchased NE5534s literally went up in smoke

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
From that article, near the end - faking carbon film resistors as metal film - the economics must be mind boggling

I don't see it. Looking at the Mouser catalog, 1% metal film SMT resistors are under $.0.01 each in lots of 100, and who can't afford to order 100 parts at that price every time you are (re)stocking your personal parts stash? I found that some carbon film parts in similar ratings but only 5% tolerance cost more!

1% smd resistors @ $1 per hundred are more likely to be thick film.
Thin film is metal film and these are usually dearer than metal oxide (=thick film).

0.1% smd thin film are generally 10 to 100 times the cost of 1% thick film and are the most easily found variants of smd metal films.

Must be happening all over the World.

I hope not! that's why things like MIL spec was created, to have part traceability all the way back to OEMs lot/batch #s. these parts are separated at birth and all have special testing/screening then the "paperwork" follows them throughout their whole life time. so if things go wrong the causes can be identified more precisely and quickly. When dealers / repair ppl decide to take short cuts and substitute parts they feel is equivalent to what may or may not the key to the original design, they have 'short circuited' the whole system. That's why they pay the big bux not to have some yahoos placing gremlins in their stuff!

A quick look at the likely cheapest ones on Mouser (Yageo) in 0805 didn't turn up any that cheap - got a link?

I'm suffering from having lost the retrieval that I took the data from, and not being able to recreate it. So many different options!

Here's something close:

Spec sheet says metal film:

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/351/RoyalElectronic_XC-600037-469831.pdf

Sample pricing:

http://www.mouser.com/Xicon/Passive-Components/Resistors/SMD-Resistors-Chip-Resistors/Thick-Film-Resistors/_/N-7h7yz?P=1z0zls8&Ns=Brand%7c1

5% - $0.002 each Min order 5,000 cost = $10

1% - 0.003 each Min order 5,000 cost = $15

Still within the budget of a home builder...

xicon is thick film. That is metal oxide.
They are usually quite a bit cheaper than metal film.
And lot higher tempco.

Yes, I saw the diagram showing the make up and it does say metal film. But tht appears to be a mistake.

Apparently a false claim. Xicon are known to make thick film resistors, but they are also known to make metal film resistors;

Many reputable sources confirm, for example:

Xicon Resistors

there's also another technique called "tampography" ,think a rubber stamp and won't be far, easy to recognize because paint is squashed out, so edges are stronger and centerlines are weaker.

A couple of nit-picks:

1. The technique is generically called "pad printing." Tampo is one company which makes machines for this, but there are many. The company I work for owns one of their competitors.
2. Pad printing can give a much more even and high resolution print than screen printing. That's why it's the method of choice for very expensive products where appearance is part of the appeal (e.g., high end golf balls). It is an offset method.
3. The cheaper printing is almost assuredly done with an ink jet.

your link only shows two smd types and both are thick film - metal oxide.

The original link also said thick film.

You made a unqualified statement that Xicon makes only thick film parts.

Besides, you previously moved the goal posts - there was never a flat disqualification of thick film resistors.

No spec for temperature coefficient was ever given.

Are you now saying that thick film resistors should never be used for audio construction?

Well put Susumu above Ebay ad and link to Susumu datasheet and that same part becomes a thin film resistor. This is easy to understand, the scams that don't seem to make profit are a little harder, maybe money received by sales isn't equal to money spent by sellers, something closer to laundering might be part of profit when there doesn't seem a possible other profit.

Sometimes parts are originally made in a range of speed selections. Over time and with process shrinks, all parts meet the higher speed specs, so the slow grades get discontinued. If the equipment BOM specifies the old slow grade part, changing to a new part number requires major requalification. The manufacturer can legitimately relabel high speed speed selections if the parameters still meet the slow grade specs

All TI DIP-8 packages have markings for pin 1. I can't recall ever getting a package that didn't have the notch on the end between pins 1 and 8. Some have the dimple at pin 1 as well.

Digikey charges $8 flat to ship within Canada. They get their parts directly from TI.

On the bright side, it looks like one of them blew open to the point where you can see the die. If you put it under a microscope, you may be able to find the die ID. That'll tell you which chip is in the package.

Tom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.