EAD/Jordan have a new range!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I see a correlation between GDO's, Zaph's, and the manufacture's measurements relating to the peak dip combos at 5, 8, and 12 khz, albeit Zaph's are more uniform with the entire frequency response.

Yes, it's more uniform, and it is more uniform because he has deliberately (without saying that i know...)choosen the way to "PAINT" it more evenly choosing a slight off axis "PERSPECTIVE". Pure objectivism demonstration, portrait of an objectivist as an artist....:D

Last edited:
Let's not do this again GDO. Why would he care to make the driver look better. C'mon, lets move on.

Anyways, I'm interested, do most Jordan owners find it sounds better off-axis? I was just looking at the freshly posted Alpair 7 3rd gens thinking a 7" baffle listening about 20 degrees off axis would be nearly perfect. A lot of people complain about Full Rangers having shout, perhaps they should be listening more off-axis??

Why would he care to make the driver look better.

Probably trying to do some justice . A 4' cone driver is not a wide dispersion tweeter measuring and sounding aprox. the same on axis and 30º off axis. The portion of space in which a 4' FR radiates and sounds the same way as measured at straight 0º on axis is so small that it is simply a marginal representation not representative of the driver's "response",... supposing it makes some sense speaking in singular about a driver's response.

Last edited:
Anyways, I'm interested, do most Jordan owners find it sounds better off-axis? I was just looking at the freshly posted Alpair 7 3rd gens thinking a 7" baffle listening about 20 degrees off axis would be nearly perfect. A lot of people complain about Full Rangers having shout, perhaps they should be listening more off-axis??

Maybe the Jordan was originally designed to be this way.

My main gripe about most FR units is lack of treble 'air' hence why I think 3" is about the max. Anything bigger and something is lost

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
A 3" driver has almost no dynamics. It sounds just like a 3" driver would: small. As for full range units not having air, well, that's a little too much to expect from a driver that's also trying to produce bass/midbass. Simply crossover to a ribbon if you crave that air.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I disagree. Sub or no sub, a 3" driver sounds small. Unless the sub can cover upto 300 Hz, it is going to struggle on complex stuff. Instead, if a woofer is used to cover <300 Hz, a 3" driver may work, but again it will start beaming at 4.5 kHz.

Actually small FR drivers work very well for near field listening. I use the JXr6HD (which are small drivers) as high quality computer speakers and they work very well with plenty of 'air' because I'm listening near field, and they are crossed over at 100Hz to a sub that also adds space / air.

if you cross over at 100Hz or lower you can get away with just a single sub located near the full range drivers. At 300Hz cutoff I would imagine you would need to go back to multi-driver speakers in the same cabinet, else the mid bass would seem disconnected, and somewhat defeating the reason for using a full range driver. With a little bit of equalization, the JXr6HD will cross over at 100Hz (its pushing it though).

The only FR's I currently have in system are a pair of cheapie HiVi B3N's in small (1 litre) sealed boxes crossed via a MiniDSP at 150 Hz (1st order on uppers, 3rd order on otherwise unfiltered active sub) with nice 130 Watts RMS transitor amp.
The sub is one meter outside the satellites. There is no sense at all of dislocation in the bass, measured or heard. At a listening distance of 3 metres beaming is an issue although the sweet spot is wide enough for 3 listeners. I have EQ'd them dead flat on axis and they sound 'soft' but still good outside the sweet spot. The sound is phenomenal for the money and voices and acoustic instruments are really well presented. Compared to other speakers I have owned there is not much image depth and very little 'air' or space around the instruments - the trade off is a palpable sense of realism about voices and instruments but a poor sense of acoustics and location. Downward dynamic range is very good but, despite over 100dBA(!) peak available at listening position the upward, large scale dynamics are a bit ordinary: next stop, econowaves....

I have been lucky enough to compare the new JX92HD+ alongside the standard 92s in my designs and there is a definite improvement in several areas. The first thing I noticed was the higher sensitivity - it really is 3db.

The top-end above 3KHz seems more resolute and has greater air. The biggest improvement is in this area. Power response seems substantially improved.

Then the tansients seem altogether more snappier. You can actually tell the new from the old as the rubber surround is much thinner and more compliant. This probably gives it the additional presence.

I have always like the Jordans, both their imaging and transient repsonse capabilities. The weaker area was always the top-end but I must say it looks as if they have addressed this.

Any downsides - may seem a bit bright if you are used to the old version, but nothing the ear can't adapt to. I would prefer a flatter, rather than rising response up to 3KHz. There is still the slight resonance nodes in HF.

Kevin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.