• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Dynaco Stereo 70 amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One of my weirdest results with a Dynaco 70 (stock PT, SDS board and Triode Electronics input board) was quickly soldering in some plate caps and running Mullard EL38s. The EL38s do bias differently than the EL34 and I could only get 40mA (!) a pair with the stock bias supply. Well I shrugged my shoulders and ran with it - I just wanted to hear what the EL38s sounded like.

Anyways, I'm not sure if it was the lower current through the OTs or the lower power supply requirements - but the sound of the amp became transformed. Big, dynamic... could have been the effect of pushing it hard into Class B?

anyways - never experimented with it further and ended up going back to EL34s before I sold the amp.

317 Regulated

... just read my Morgan Jones. He blesses using 317 voltage regulators on the High Voltage plate supply.

Also a 317 could be used for the screen supply. Now we're talking modern amp !!!

Small problem though is somehow making sure that the screen supply does come up before the plate supply and the screen doesnt have a voltage on it if the plate supply fails.

Any ideas on how to design this part ??

Yes, I see the question. Normally, if the plate voltage supply doesn't come up, neither will the screens, since they're run off the same raw supply as the plates.

If the plates are regulated and a plate reg fails, it will invariably either blow the fuses very quickly and/or go high (to the unregulated voltage) as the pass device fuses into molten conduction. Failing open-circuit is not common.

The turn-on time of Curcio and Maida regulators, assuming a solid state rectifier in the raw supply (a good idea!) is much faster than the tube warmup time, so any differences in their relative turn-on times is only seen by a cold tube.

SY said:
Joe Curcio did an excellent one in his published Glass Audio design. I suspect that it could be updated a bit with some more modern components, but the performance and reliability as-is are pretty darn good.

hey-Hey!!!,
The Curcio cascode 6DJ8 circuit is nearly ready. Delete some parts, and re-organize some of the connections and we're OFF! Running a regulator for a LTP/diff amp seems a waste to me. PSRR is already excellent, and a shift in OP due to variations in B+ isn't detrimental.

Since the cascode is a pentode construction, ref'ing the g2/upper tube grid to the cathode is just as important, given that significant signal exists on the cathodes. As drawn it is ref'd to ground.
cheers,
Douglas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.