Dying diy moral.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
some basic steps to getting to DIY an amp - may or may not apply to you or anyone else, but it certainly worked for me.

Buy a cheap _something_ that has several well-known modifications available. In my case it was the year 1989 and I bought a Dynaco 70. I had no clue how the thing worked. I had a cap failure and watched as my friend fixed it. I thought "This doesn't look hard".

Then I started to read and read and read - luckily I was in college and had access to a well-stocked library with Audio magazine articles and a whole slew of books. I also asked tons of questions from the local gurus and bought what I could to learn.

I then modified by Dynaco 70 by changing it from 7199 to 6GH8A/6U8 tubes. I then bought a Scott tubed integrated for my-then girlfriend. The amp blew up on first power on and I had to get in and fix it. No one else would! Then it was Dynaco MarK IVs that needed new power supply capacitors... I did the work myself. And the Dynaco PAS tone control bypass and new parts.

After that, I took what I had learned by fixing and built my first preamplifier. With a Hammond box and a pair of 71A tubes, I built a linestage just using the RCA manual as my guideline. It worked and my friends were amazed. After that it was PP 6B4Gs, SE 2A3s, SE 300B, SE EL156, various line and phono preamps, DACs, etc etc Sometimes I used kits and sometimes I used other's basic designs.

The best way to learn is to get your hands dirty. Kits are the easiest way to start. PCBs certainly help (these days I PREFER to use PCBs since P2P is so time consuming) but you still have to make case, transformer, etc decisions. Going off and building something from scratch take more knowledge but it certainly is attainable. Heck, it's easier today than ever before.

I think part of the problem, if there is a problem, is that it is extremely hard to find the latest pcb, schematic etc. for ANY project by going to that thread.

I do NOT have a solution, but looking at 1000 pages of 10 post each is hard WORK, no matter how diligent someone might be.

I would like to see a SOLUTION to finding the latest and Greatest on ANY thread.

viki_v2 this is for you: :hug: from me! I gleaned a massive load of data and opinion from this site over the years. I have built a pile of amps and speakers and preamps etc. I actually received WAY more good stuff via private email after making contact and friendship with other members! That is a fact. Also, I have purchased and built some really poor sounding gear from the advice on this site but that only happened two or three times. I can't blame those people for poor sound, everybody has different ears. To each is own.

I was making small tube amps and experiments with tubes with very small experience in the subject,i can say that i was discovering things by myself,and one day i discovered this forum , and i can tell you that i learned a LOT of things in tube world thanks to the members of this place ,and what i can say is THANK YOU very much all of you!
Silvino

Seconded.

In this modern time, there are no courses on valve electronics, and unless you are lucky enough to get an apprenticeship you are very much on your own.

Everything I know is from books and this forum, and the ever patient boffins here that help even when you ask stupid questions.

For which I am VERY grateful. I can only hope they continue to put up with me!

I think the DIY spirit is living here. I am certainly always willing to share circuit schematics and my thoughts on them. I have thrived - and continue to thrive - on others doing the same and helping me out when I get stuck.

I think the key here is DIY. As in do it yourself. A few DIYaudio members, sadly, seem to favor YDIFM (You Do It For Me) rather than DIY.

I am always willing to help others help themselves. But I will not do your work for you. You have to be willing to help yourself.

Kits can be a good way of learning. You can analyze the circuit and verify the component values. You can calculate bias points and verify these versus reality. Honestly, I think kits are a good place to get your feet wet. Once you know the basics, you can start designing your own circuits.

~Tom

MY friend i am definitely not asking for spoon feeding,
I 100% believe what diy stands for.
But searching some bit of information, without a clue where to look is like searching a needle in a stack of hey. I dont understand why people reading this post feel offended.
i havent recieved this many replies in whole month as i this particular hour.

If i was so much educated on these things i would not have asked.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I think part of the problem, if there is a problem, is that it is extremely hard to find the latest pcb, schematic etc. for ANY project by going to that thread..

This a real problem and part of the forum territory - on this and many other forums. The problem has been discussed by the moderation team and nothing has been done so far, alas.

Perhaps a subject that needs its own thread?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I told you already .....

go back to yor KSA thread , write some data about your room , speakers , listening level , and expected power for amp you need

then someone will tell what is easy , what is harder to make , where to find schm , pcb pattern , parts etc.

this is how this forum function

I think we all made a point in this very thread ....

i havent recieved this many replies in whole month as i this particular hour.

Cool, you are actually getting support! Your topic is a cry for help loaded with frustration. People care, you know. They do. Learn from it, don't leave.

Search the forum of what your looking for. Spend hours, days reading everything that relates to your search results. Then enter your questions in the correct thread(s) or start a new thread if you have discovered a new topic. It is that simple but remember the number one virtue.

Peace.

What do you do with the pcbs you have in excess.throw them
i got these pcbs made for me, and had no time to complete them. so put them for sale whats wrong in that.
For diyers in India, getting pcbs made is very hard thing, just forget about getting 2 or 4 pcbs .
I may not ask for profit but i cant give it for free.

i am working and have to save some money every month, to be finally be able to buy goods for my diy, even the components are not easliy available. In such situation if i am not using these, it could be of use to others.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.