Dx Troyan, a 650 watts channel amplifier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Schematic diagram for TROYAN audio amplifier

new schematic diagram for this project :) please comment ;) and BOM

Regards Alex.

Attachments

• TROYAN SCHEMATIC.GIF
    TROYAN SCHEMATIC.GIF
    175.4 KB · Views: 911
  • TROYAN SCHEMATIC.pdf
    83.2 KB · Views: 567
  • TROYAN PARTS.pdf
    58.3 KB · Views: 566
Last edited:
We need supply for this monster... having two 20 amperes bridge rectifier to each

channel... 60 thousand microfarads each rail (minimum to each channel)....so... 120 thousand microfarads to each channel.... 15 amperes each rail fuses... and fuses for the primary will depend how many transformers people gonna use... these two bridge rectifiers are for two transformers to each channel.

If i can remember it can put out around 65 RMS volts...in 4 ohms loads this means something alike 16 amperes to each channel... and this is while playing without clipping..and you know that in professipnal applications we enter clipping form time to time.

This one may be one of the strongest in class AB you should have... house mains wiring may not be good for it.

2 supplies is suggested for a stereo...and each supply must use two big toroidal transformers rated for a kilowatt.... for a stereo enclosure you will have two supply boards, each one of them having two huge bridge rectifiers using heatsinks, two transformers will feed each one of these supplies..and these supplies output will go to the power amplifiers, naturally.

Heatsink should be huge... really huge... to each 10 watts we need an aluminium blade, square blade with 10 centimeter side... to each channel, the heatsink should be equivalent of 100 of these blades for full continuous power...or 100 blades to both channels if you will use musical power (average)..not using it in Professional applications... also for non professional applications you can reduce transformers quantity to 2 units...and only one bridge rectifier to each channel.

Be carefull, this is a very serious amplifier with enormous power..it produces full power of bass.... it is not these 2 kilowatt amplifier you see selling everywhere..this is a real powerfull machine... without lie, or extreme optimism in the specifications.

Attention!.... more than 1 Kilowatt of continuous power is not difficult to obtain, depending the speaker impedance and your supply ... and distorting you will have much more.

This monster gonna need speaker protection...electronic protection using relays... i have not one tested (today) to offer as suggestion.

Well, this unit is expensive...for professional use....so... some bucks spent to order a speaker protection elsewhere will be reasonable.

Four transformers, because the power need.... a kilowatt each transformer... around 75 volts AC secondary...three wires secondary (with center tap).

Power switch must be special too...and i suppose house mains wiring must be checked by electrician, as you may suck 4 kilowatts of power.

This amplifier is not for beginners...need expertise to use such kind of monsters..need some know how..it is for professionals...was made because of Sakis.... the supply voltage is dangerous and needs some caution while using.

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
Carlos,
If I build this amplifier I would like to add a temperature probe to the output devices to shutdown at high temp. What temperature would you recommend for the shutdown? Could incorporate this in series with the soft start relay.

Is it winter or summer, where you live, in Brazil this time of year?

Tad

Not a good idea thermal shut down...use thermal to switch fan blower on

At 52 degrées celsius make them work.... fan blowers.

Shut down in professional amplifiers is deep shame.

I am in winter...nearby the winter peak down here in south Hemisphere... my place is one of the hottest places in Brasil.... during the day we are having 27...and at nigth temperature drops to 23 degrees celsius.

But usually, during other seasons, we have 29 degrees day and nigth.

A hell hot my place....the heatsinks i told you are because my environment..for yours you should reduce the size... or use fans switched by a circuit that has a thermistor as the main trigger.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Recife temperature.jpg
    Recife temperature.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 829
  • I am here.jpg
    I am here.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 632
Last edited:
channel... 60 thousand microfarads each rail (minimum to each channel)....so... 120 thousand microfarads to each channel.... 15 amperes each rail fuses... and fuses for the primary will depend how many transformers people gonna use... these two bridge rectifiers are for two transformers to each channel.

If i can remember it can put out around 65 RMS volts...in 4 ohms loads this means something alike 16 amperes to each channel... and this is while playing without clipping..and you know that in professipnal applications we enter clipping form time to time.

This one may be one of the strongest in class AB you should have... house mains wiring may not be good for it.

2 supplies is suggested for a stereo...and each supply must use two big toroidal transformers rated for a kilowatt.... for a stereo enclosure you will have two supply boards, each one of them having two huge bridge rectifiers using heatsinks, two transformers will feed each one of these supplies..and these supplies output will go to the power amplifiers, naturally.

Heatsink should be huge... really huge... to each 10 watts we need an aluminium blade, square blade with 10 centimeter side... to each channel, the heatsink should be equivalent of 100 of these blades for full continuous power...or 100 blades to both channels if you will use musical power (average)..not using it in Professional applications... also for non professional applications you can reduce transformers quantity to 2 units...and only one bridge rectifier to each channel.

Be carefull, this is a very serious amplifier with enormous power..it produces full power of bass.... it is not these 2 kilowatt amplifier you see selling everywhere..this is a real powerfull machine... without lie, or extreme optimism in the specifications.

Attention!.... more than 1 Kilowatt of continuous power is not difficult to obtain, depending the speaker impedance and your supply ... and distorting you will have much more.

This monster gonna need speaker protection...electronic protection using relays... i have not one tested (today) to offer as suggestion.

Well, this unit is expensive...for professional use....so... some bucks spent to order a speaker protection elsewhere will be reasonable.

Four transformers, because the power need.... a kilowatt each transformer... around 75 volts AC secondary...three wires secondary (with center tap).

Power switch must be special too...and i suppose house mains wiring must be checked by electrician, as you may suck 4 kilowatts of power.

This amplifier is not for beginners...need expertise to use such kind of monsters..need some know how..it is for professionals...was made because of Sakis.... the supply voltage is dangerous and needs some caution while using.

regards,

Carlos

OK, sounds good , but i only need 600 watts @ 1 ohm ..... :gasp: how low can I reduce the supply voltage ...

Anyway 27 deg C year round .. dats good temps Carlos even the women are hotter than dat ...
San Paolo ?

Last edited:
Reduce your voltage, supply voltage to 70 volts

no modifications needed... you can also reduce your output pairs to half the quantity shown...you can use 5 pairs.

Even lower voltage will fit...maybe 60 will be fine too...but it is better to have a reserve of power to operate distant from the clipping.

Well dear Wayne:

São Paulo is a giant town, the second biggest in latin America...maybe in whole America too (not sure).... it is cold there, distant from the ocean and not at sea level... founded by Coffee farmers, that used Italians that came to work in these farms substituting the slaves that had freedom because of laws ...people there are Italian descendents... they came from Italian families in the majority...an Industrial town, almost all industries are there...maybe 90 percent of our industries are there..temperature there drops to 4 celsius,and average is lower than Northeast...there you may have 18 to 20 degrees celsius, average and along daylight times...off course we have all world inside São Paulo, all countries have representative groups there, but mainly Italians and Japanese.

Our America is the "new world".... we had only native indians...now a days they are mixed with the population (blood mixing, racial mixing)...and the population, alike USA, is constituted by Europeans, Asiatic and Africans.

We have mixed... we are the result of mixing.... i am result of Indian, African, Dutch, Portuguese and Italian...i have registers of all these folks in my blood...alike me almost all brazilians are this way.

Our women are beautifull.... now a day example is the girl called Braga (family name)... a daugther of Sonia Braga...that lives in USA, movie actress.... watch her beauty...she has our style of beauty.... brazilian beauty.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Alice Braga.JPG
    Alice Braga.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 621
  • Sonia Braga.jpg
    Sonia Braga.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 97
  • São Paulo.jpg
    São Paulo.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
This amplifier was not built to be connected to 1 ohm loads

was not checked that way and not adjusted to work this way....in other words, was not created/designed to face 1 ohm loads.

To be good will need a redesign...do it under your own risk as i cannot guarantee untested amplifiers, and will not be happy with my name on them.

I will not support redesign of this amplifier in this same thread....so, if a friend decide to make it customized to his own needs, then should open a new thread to publish his own approach and support his own amplifier.

This means, to take care od his amplifier, to produce schematic, layout, to assemble and test, to produce pictures and videos explaining the amplifier and to provide follow up to the ones will certainly build the amplifier.

I will take care of my own amplifier, and all the job is being done, as you can see.

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
OK - DX ..... :)

So the original design is good for 4 or 2 ohm min ? Curious to hear what you would suggest as a mod for doing low loads , Driver stage? as the output stage is pretty big , so it must be the current draw from the driver stage is of concern .....

regards,

Man....gonna tell a secret.

I just do not remember anymore....really...my memory is self erasing.

Take some time dear Wayne, and read the thread...or write to me and i will return audio message to you explaining the decisions i have made to this amplifier.

But read first....i think i have made comments about...i usually do this.

carlos.eugenio1951@yahoo.com

why is a bc818 (25Vce0) specified for the VAS buffer?

Why is there a 50r across the BE of the VAS transistor?

Is there a good reason for the Voltage gain to be set to 95Times (+39dB)?

How much output current can a two stage EF deliver to the load?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.