Dx Troyan, a 650 watts channel amplifier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have made it too much ugly...will produce some different style boards

to make it less ugly.

As a tradition i use to offer my own board style, of course i know they are terrible,... people never assemble my boards..ahahahahahah!

You see that usually i have accepted friend's cooperation to producing board layout... Alex mm made some and Taj made several.... Alex have tested, but Taj has tested no one... i have to make it and test by myself.

I have invited Sakis..but seems he has not time to do this kind of thing because summer in his place produces a lot of work for him.

I have some other things to make.... protector was not good, that one from the book, so i will create mine one.... the TriAmp active filter needs some tweak in the crossover bands... the hell thing uses chip and i dislike them..so...everyday i watch the hell thing and have not courage to fix it.... chips drives my mood badly.

The amplifier will remain the way it is.... was tested and passed in reliability..i do not think it is so good in sonics alike the Dx Blame...but the target there is to play loud and to satisfy the ones loves some lack of simple technology to use some CCS (hehehehe.. a lot of them...a bunch of them... the technocrat's sweetest dream!)...if people want something so good as the Blame..then build the Blame..this makes more sense to me.

I have till July sevententh to change my mind...but i doubt this will happens as i have spend a lot of hours together that amplifier tweaking several options and i found this way it is good enougth.

Sounds much better than average.... it is not a top performer, but can eat in the breakfast a lot of amplifiers i have built, including several models from this same forum.... not only in power but in audio quality too.

There's a huge list of things to do..including a SMPS supply that was started, several forums to feed and also the Orkut .... also Youtube videos to produce, as the video is thousand times better than type...audio and video is more efficient, communicates better and faster.

Gladly the german board to Blame was ready too..so...i am free to continue my work... and will not support more boards for Blame or other amplifiers.... made it's made..let's go to the future..to make things never made by me...not to go marching in the same place.

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
As i have promissed, i am here to the release.....but sadly no special schematic or special release.

The amplifier was tested and proved good...but anything special, cannot beat the very good amplifiers we have in our forum..it is not more than an average performer..one more.

The power is huge, distortion is low, specifications are excelent..but cost to produce is very high... reason why i have no one interested in such kind of monster.... even Sakis have not produce boards...and he has the need of something alike this one for his professional activities.

No one had interest to produce boards..... well.... we all knew that Todd Johnson would be missed...and for sure he is missed.

So, dear friends, the amplifier was tested..the schematic is the one i have provided, was assembled, it is working here at my home...monthes working without troubles...so, it is reliable and excelent for parties and professional applications.

I have not finished the board...well.... i perceive lack of interest.... i had lack of interest too..... too much expensive...too much big.... i have no speaker that can face all this power, also i have not the huge transformers need to feed it...so..i understand the lack of interest as this happened to me too.... tests were made with the unit delivering 550 watts only....and for small time, as i had the fear to destroy my speakers.

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
happy birthday uncle Charly .... and since you been giving so much in the diy community give us something else .....a liltle bit of time ...

Athens as we speak is in the midsummer that is almost before the peak of the season ....so rentals , PA systems , theatrical and musical shows, are in 130% of capacity .... especially for east electronics this has been the most busy year ever ...

so this is not lack of interest ..its lack of time ...i am still very interested on producing the TROYAN pcb but since this pcb has a few complications cannot be done in a couple of hours ...it will take a hell of a lot more than that ...

Often we been talking about pcb design and belive me that with troyan is going to be really tricky ....for an amp like that thermals can be by far biger issues than electronics ... so let us have some time with it and we will get there ...

kind regards your friend sakis

Yes dear Sakis...tricky, complicated, crowdy, huge and so on

If you intend to build..then take the time you need and you want.

Sound is very good..but repeating, does not beat other good ones we have in this same forum...it is an average performer...even using all these CCS....the power is huge...the amplifier uses the supply very well.... transforming in real punchy sound that moves speaker in a very controlled and powerfull way... a power machine...that's what this unit is... a huge power machine.

CCS, in special in the drivers, made it more powerfull for the bass tones.... they are driven till the limit of clipping producing clean and controled bass...... this amplifier is the biggest speaker nightmare...it really send power to the speaker..... the one must be huge to face.... do not distort easy...the V/I limits and compresses a little, and as you know..speaker use to burn because of clipping, because the audio becomes alike a square wave...feeding constant maximum current from the supply to the speakers.... this one does not produce square waves so easy...because the V/I limiter you wanted.....you know i do not like... was made that way because of you.

I had the 17th july dead line to obbey...but the amplifier is here, posted, the schematic was tested, and anytime you want to move..then will be good for all of us.

Thank you very much by the "happy birthday" message dear Sakis.

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
You had not the informations i have sent to Sakis.

he knows we need to install a lot more transistors in the heatsink..but i had no idea you were preparing this nice gift to me.... so, you had no informations about...also power in some resistances i have to study to inform.

The transistors painted in green should go to the heatsink too.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Main heatsink.jpg
    Main heatsink.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 1,138
Last edited:
You guys have done an exemplary job on this amp. Kudos.
Have you given any thought to providing a space for a separate elevated frontend power source. Since this is a no holds barred type of gutsy amp a small elevated frontend would help with the power surges at the outputs.

What heatsink choice is available to mount this monster too. It is quite long. Are you planning 3 oz. copper weight for the power supply and output currents?

Oh, and by the way I want some. Please make pcb's available. We never get big monster, 1000 watt, pcb group buys.

Tad

Deep congratulations dear Alexandru (Alex mm)

Soon i will manage to study these resistances to be sure we may change one or two...for a while it is perfect this way...i am not sure if we gonna really need special resistances...i have suspections only...i have to check...i do not remember.

Of course will inform you this as soon as possible.

Thank you very much...one more excelent board you produce to our Dx Corporation.

Carlos

Sound very good...but not outstanding...the advantage is huge power

and huge power....so...it can produce more power in the bass than another amplifier that uses the same supply.....the CCS used in the driver position does that...it is alike Electrocompaniet in some way.

Inspired in Doctor Self amplifier and also in Electrocompaniet.

Troyan sonic sample..... was hard to make this...the one pumps enormous power..saturates microphones and colapses my fake acoustic chamber made using matresses:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYzUHvDlgL0

Here you have the Fokker...it is alike Troyan but it is lower power than Troyan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeuXLoKcG7M

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.