Dx Precision, finally released... now debugged and better than HRII

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nordic sent me the South African Headquarters secretary

Was selected last year.... finally he sent me the Secretary picture.

Now i understand some reasons to be all day into the job... and to insist not to fix the air conditioned central system.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• secretary to south africa division.jpg
    secretary to south africa division.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 692
I hear thunder off in the distance.

Hi Carlos,

So with the Precision 1 I can listen to music in Mono while arcwelding with the other channel??, 2 birds with one stone! Great to see this thread still hopping along. Nordic has seemed to have gone long ways to make all of this happen, congrats Nico!. +5 c here and im watching the snow melt as I write.

Colin

Carlos,

Accept my apologies, I will be sure to research the thread before posting such questions.

I can appreciate that this amp is not a toy. When I call my self a newbee, I am referring to my understanding of amplifier topologies and terminology. I have built amps on +-75V DC rails so I am no stranger to such "arc welder amplifiers". I have taken a few electrical engineering courses so I know the basics (ie. How not to kill myself nor create Lightning... at least not too much lightning.) I will do the research before starting the build... I am just trying to get an idea of the bill of materials.

As with most in DIY, I am learning as I build... I hope not to bother the gurus with too many simple questions but I think a few "learning experiences" are inevitable.

I'm looking forward to building your amp Carlos... You are well regarded in the DIY community and to have one of your systems will be a great pleasure.

Ryan

There's nothing to apologize dear Ryan, you are very welcome

My worries are not based into your posts or on you.

I am daily into brazilian foruns, and people there are years delayed in know how related this forum average people...sadly, clever guys there, very intelligent ones, but schools, electronic schools very weak, people that had not support, and despite the love by electronics of audio, had not the chance to development.

The young ones here, the newbies, are running to modify versions of Classic, they want power, the main thing to brazilian young folks, and the knowledge to build high power amplifiers has bad ratio related knowledge to assemble things...the most they want, the higher power they want, the smallest is their knowlege "here"... and because of that i use to have concerns about them.

Your "newbie" word posted, have switched on my worries once again, while i use to relax a little into this International forum, were people has better know how.

There are some questions i use to answer into my beloved country that drives me into panic... i really do not know how some of them can build something into electronics.

Just the coincidence, my worries because my place, and your natural questions.

So.... take your seat, make the answers you need and be welcome.... receive my apologizes if something was unkind to you.

When i enter this forum, 4 years ago, i had not more than 20 percent of the knowledge i have today, i had only huge experience to assemble, listen and evaluate amplifiers, many amplifiers made, but weak in many ways...now i feel i have already 75 percent of the forum knowledge, and i am advancing to reach the maximum into the 2 next years to come.

Forum reading is excelent, we have a free University here, not too much folks with the intention to teach you directly, but they do that indirectly, in special when they compete one each other, and during that a lot of knowledge is posted to us to learn... their pride is wonderfull to me... and some of them are cooperative, not too many of them are cooperative...majority is competitive.

Read, in special the strikes, threads were the big boys are dueling...there you will have gold in powder.... take note of words they say...you may not understand immediatelly, but building and testing things you will make those words means "sound.... sonics" and you will understand sometimes more than they understand, because they are into theories and you go to apply and check listening.

One example is the Milller compensation capacitor.... a lot of folks knows the theories, the advantages, the disadvantages and can discuss this for hours long...but they had never patience to go changing values into a prototype to listen what really happens, the sonic result of those things...you can do that and learn in the better possible position...learn into the real world...listening!

When i say read the forum i am showing you the direction to follow, a guarantee to reach better knowledge and understanding about all stuff people post here.... be happy they have pride, be more happy they are competitive, and smile when they start some strike...ahahahahah...advantage will be for you.

In the reality Ryan.... "the bomb exploded into brazil and maybe pieces of metal have found you as a target..an accident only"

To be reading big guys figth is awfull, very unconfortable to see pride, envy, angry, competition and a lot of bad human feelings, but there's the gold!..the informs will pop out during those moments...to show knowledge they talk too much and put out secrets they would never tell you if not inserted into a challenge or a competition.

regards,

Carlos

Carlos,

Thanks for describing your thoughts. I was affraid that I may have upset the great destroyer X. I'm learning a lot through all of the DIY resources and I look forward to further developing this knowledge. I will cut my words short here so that I don't pull the thread any further off topic.

Cheers,

Ryan

More fat than great Ryan...or great because of fat...maybe "big" is the best word

ahahah... Arcwelding was good Vinyl!

thanks Collin.

It is always great to see you around.

A very good company you are.

You see Colin, i felt envy with Nordic's secretary and i have selected a new one...what do you think about this one?

ahahahahah!..... good to dream folks!...we do not pay nothing to feed our dreams.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• dx corporation secretary.jpg
    dx corporation secretary.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 837
Carlos!,

So how do you get much done with the new secretary?, lots of reversed polarity parts eh?, haha. Glad to be around here again, always work to be done and wires to be connected and epiphanys to happen. RyanW, long time no see, same Ryan from the Soraya audition with Ed and Rick?, glad to see you still pursuing the road to Audio Nirvana!.

Colin

Re: More fat than great Ryan...or great because of fat...maybe "big" is the best word

destroyer X said:

You see Colin, i felt envy with Nordic's secretary and i have selected a new one...what do you think about this one?

ahahahahah!..... good to dream folks!...we do not pay nothing to feed our dreams.

regards,

Carlos

Hello

Wow !! I would love to "listen" music with both of those secretaries ;)

But the first one do have very nice big "capacitors" ha ha ha

Gaetan

Hi Stuey, as paypal does not allow withdrawals here, the only route open for me, considering the small amounts, is to take credit card payments... which the website is set up to deal with securely.

Transactions are done by a reputable local agency called Pricetag, so I never have to deal with data storage, in fact I never see the credit card details.

Beyond the imagination is how the Precision 1 sounds

And need a very good supply.... and a coil in series with the huge condensers.

Also small condensers after the coil and a very good discharging network.

This is not to have the muffle effect we all know when we use too much big condensers into the supply.

Precision was made to sound great!

Need a great supply, a great DAC, a great speaker and in front all of that.

A great guy listening.... someone with good ears and good taste.

Is your garbage barrel big enougth to accept your old amplifier?

Ahahaha.... do you have a double barreled to give double shot into the other amplifier?

Are you ready?

Ready to send your old amplifier to the place he should never leave.... sending it to the hell!!!!.... and with one way ticket!!!

Sorry folks...you may tollerate Dx Amplifier and HRII...but i do not guarantee you will be happy with them after listen the Precision 1.

And the Precision 2 will come this ear...ahahahahahha.

It is time to "competition" start to shake their bones!...if i was in their position i would be very scared with that amplifier that will come.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• beyond the imagination.jpg
    beyond the imagination.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 674
Precision I is ready to go, while the big brother is cooking

Precision 1 will have boards offered by Nico, into the Group buy...a non profitable movement, price will be the cost to produce boards and the cost to send you boards and parts you ask.

And while this happens.......

Precision 2 will not be offered as group buy, also schematic will not be offered.

It was sold to a local Industry, but i have the rigth to build them and to offer to the

ones i want.

But i cannot publish schematic, or offer them into Brazil using this name.

It will have protection, 10 output transistors, Electrocompaniet style of CCS into the drivers,ci new input differential, a better adjusted VAS,
600 watts RMS over 2 ohms undistorted...more than 200 Watts undistorted over 8 ohms, 2 voltage supplies, switchable CCS to VAS or bootstrapp, Protection with chip and relay included, output switchable to connect the output line to the NFB line or not and other secret features.

Board will be big, and no economic things will be there, also will not have fashion unobtanium things too.

The ones have Dx amplifier have two supplies, that connected into a different way will
be able to produce 72 plus 72 volts to feed the input circuitry...another transformer, to produce less than 68 plus 68 volts will be needed, and supply will need 8 amperes to each rail and 40000uf each rail of filtering.

No more talk about Precision II...it will be included into www.dxamp.com before July, 17, that is my birthday...this one is a gift to myself.

......................................................................................................................................................

Precision 1 is suffering hard testing, and is accepting all kind of strange load into the output... sounding great and will go to be offered, into non profitable group buy, to forum folks, with the traditional guarantee.

Search for Nico to have your Precision 1

regards,

Carlos

Its only the beginning.

This addiction, and even when you think its ended that bug bites again and the quest for the perfect system continues!. Just look at Carlos, how many amps now Carlos??, 6000+?, haha!!. Like Carlos pointed out, there is alot to learn here,but!, nothing to be learned without getting your hands dirty and your ears used in fiddling around and making adjustments. I guarantee that one day you will be trying new things with the Precision 1 boards to try and make a better mousetrap, so many nuances to sound reproduction that is highly subjective. Yes, Boom fizzle is best left at Future shop and Best Buy.

Have fun with the build.
Colin

precision1 pcb layout for home etching...

Good news for dx fans...
Nico wrote on his email to me...
"Not a problem, just be patient for a day or two, we are just finalising component names for the parts list, to make sure we distribute only one set of component numbers for future maintenance queries.

It will be available on the construction pages of the DX amp site"

:angel:

Nico said will help you..... so i will do it also

He is a partner...we do things into an agreement form.

I hope not the gerber files, as we have the Precision 2 that will have the same "basic" board with some more added subcircuits, features and different values..also bigger, but will have the same look.

regards,

Carlos

.....................................................................................................

Will send you schematic very soon Colin.

Around 4200 amplifiers Colin.... but now a days they are variation over the same "theme".... so..if you think on them as different ideas, maybe not more than 300 different ideas...others are just variation and re-combinations(arrangements) of sub circuits.

If you wanna test, will be good to have your evaluation.

I do not want to be better or worse than our common friend, Doctor Hugh Dean, i want only your evaluation, without any kind of comparison.

Of course, you are free to do that, or not to do that.

Also can evaluate and send me direct evaluation mail.

I will be honored with your attention, as you are the best Beta tester i have ever knew.

But no problems to keep things in silence.... we are good friends..and this will not change.

regards,

Carlos

As result of recent clonish developments here on DIY audio I think we can generaly say that people will think twice before releaseing any information. With Carlos's blessing the required PDFs will be forwarded to the few people that requested and were promised allready. I do not like going back on my word too much, so I do not intend to do it now.

The required documentation will of course be available to the group buyers as well.

No one gets me gerbers :devilr: :devilr: :devilr: except uncle Charly

The way to evaluate heatsinks

Is my heatsink enougth to use with Precision 1

I have a trick, something developed along many ears building, a simple
way to discover if a heatsink will fit or not..... because there are moments
you do not have specifications and you have to evaluate using your
experience.

I found that an aluminium blade, square blade, 2 or 3 milimeters thick,
measuring 10 centimeters each side can hold an amplifier of 10 watts
RMS, continuous power, sinusoidal signal, undistorted power.

Not heat dissipation, but the hability, capacity, to hold a 10 watts amplifier
power...

10 by 10 centimeters represents 100 squared centimeters.

So..... 100 squared centimeters can face a 10 watts amplifier
200 squared centimeters can face a 20 watts amplifier
300 squared centimeters can face a 30 watts amplifier.

...............and so on............

How to measure:

First try to separate the fins and to conclude an average area for your fins,
because they can be different in size... multiply side by side and then you
conclude each fin area...them multiply by the number of fins...this heasink

16 by 6 centimeters...each fin area is 96 squared centimeters.

I have 12 fins....so.... 12 fins multiplied by 96 squared centimeters will result
into 1152 squared centimeters.

We have also the base.... so, i have obtained side by side....16 multiplied by 12..
and this resulted 192 squared centimeters.

Now we add all those measurements results together...will result in something
aroun 1300 cubic centimeters.

Each 100 means 10 watts...so...this heatsink can hold 130 watts of continuous
power.

The Precision can produce more than 170 watts continuous, sinusoidal,
undistorted and over 8 ohms loads..... and worse is that can produce more
than 250W over 4 ohms.

Can this heatsink fit or not?

Yes.... and No!..... music is not continuous power....it is not constant...the
heatsink will hold constant power of 130 watts...and more than twice if
music power...so...this heatsink is not more, and not less, than perfect.

But, do not even try to inject into your amplifier input a steady tone...
a continuous sinusoidal or square wave tone...full undistorted power...because
this will exceed the heatsink possibilities to transfer heat to the air..

If you will have a party, and your amplifier will be working full power all
time long..better to increase heatsinks or include fan blowers, as this one
can hold no more than 130 watts continuous of audio power.

You have perceived that each fin was calculated, the area, just for one side.

This was made to make things simple.... do not add both sides, even knowing
they exist and that they work transfering heat to the air.... use only one fin face!

This is not precise..but helps a lot when you do not know the heatsink specs.

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• base smaller side.jpg
    base smaller side.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 504
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.