Duelund Alexander Copper Foil Capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
They are good...

*as long you never hear the CAST... ;)
Well, i was a little worried that diverting some car repair $$$ to the purchase of Alexander caps would back fire on me... :scratch1:

Have them in my amp, and oh! boy! was i ever wrong :D

If they are this good out of the box (on box, just a figure of speech), I can't wait till i get a couple of hundred hours on them :cloud9:

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
I had Mundorf silver and oil, and then a Chinese NOS Mil' spec Film & Oil that had a surprisingly captivating quality.

The Duelunds are better than both to my ears in my system, the presentation is just correct in tones, dynamics, transparency and sound staging.

Compared to the Mundorf's, the Mundorf's sound artificial.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I had Mundorf silver and oil, and then a Chinese NOS Mil' spec Film & Oil that had a surprisingly captivating quality.

The Duelunds are better than both to my ears in my system, the presentation is just correct in tones, dynamics, transparency and sound staging.

Compared to the Mundorf's, the Mundorf's sound artificial.

Yes the Mundorf caps can sound sterile at times..Is this lack of colouration or just something is missing in the sound that should be there?
They don't give warmth to the sound..then again if you listen to a brass band in a park it has a warm sound..its not brash..Analytical comes to mind...Its interesting to hear the smear that standard caps add to the sound..compared even to the "cheaper" obbligatos..

Regards
M. Gregg

Yes the Mundorf caps can sound sterile at times..Is this lack of colouration or just something is missing in the sound that should be there?..

The silver/oil and silver/golds are only metallised foil caps. I don't like them - I think you need film/foil to get proper body in the mids and bass - ie. tone.
They have excellent treble refinement, but that's about it .

The cheaper zinc foil /polyprop are much better to my ears ( I liked the older Audyn KP-SN a lot but the treble was a bit bright ) .

My other favourites are Rel PCU (copper/polyprop) at phono and pre-amp levels, and Jensen copper foil PIO in power amps, as long as you have 15mA or more to drive them - otherwise they can sound dull .

This is my current take, after 13 years of messing about and a lot of disappointments ;o)
Hope this is useful
Mark

Oooh ! I don't know for sure , Leif .
My own ongoing 4-way horn system wil use crossovers mostly in in the multi-channel amp ;o)
But I would try the Jupiter flat stack caps if you can afford them , they sound interesting . I like PIO caps at higher signal/current levels, and the Jupiter are paper/wax so maybe similar .

It may be a case that you find silver-golds are good for the HF , but the Jupiter caps are better for mids and bass .

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
The silver/oil and silver/golds are only metallised foil caps. I don't like them - I think you need film/foil to get proper body in the mids and bass - ie. tone.
They have excellent treble refinement, but that's about it .

The cheaper zinc foil /polyprop are much better to my ears ( I liked the older Audyn KP-SN a lot but the treble was a bit bright ) .

My other favourites are Rel PCU (copper/polyprop) at phono and pre-amp levels, and Jensen copper foil PIO in power amps, as long as you have 15mA or more to drive them - otherwise they can sound dull .

This is my current take, after 13 years of messing about and a lot of disappointments ;o)
Hope this is useful
Mark
so your saying that the mundorf tin-foil ZN are better then the silver-in-oil?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.