Dual 701 turntable assembly problems

Well here I am in a similar pickle. I disassembled my 701 to clean and lubricate the motor shaft and bearings on the sub platter.

When I re-assembled, the turntable is now in a constant return cycle (the cam gear keeps turning). Also the tonearm is not moving correctly at all.

I was pretty careful, and I'm confident that I have the ball bearing back in place correctly - and that the cam follower is in the right place. I don't know what is wrong. I have stared at the mechanism and looked at my photos and read other posts here. If any of you guys have any suggestions I am all ears.

I am pretty fustrated at the moment. Many thanks.

With due respect, I don't think so. By 1972, when the 701 emerged into the market, Dual was one of the biggest TT manufacturers in the whole wide world, if not the biggest at all, and had some huge amount of experience with automatic TT's and record changers. The definitively didn't need to »fiddle« around with something.

Yes, mechanical engineering is actually a thing.

Well here I am in a similar pickle. I disassembled my 701 to clean and lubricate the motor shaft and bearings on the sub platter.

When I re-assembled, the turntable is now in a constant return cycle (the cam gear keeps turning). Also the tonearm is not moving correctly at all.

I was pretty careful, and I'm confident that I have the ball bearing back in place correctly - and that the cam follower is in the right place. I don't know what is wrong. I have stared at the mechanism and looked at my photos and read other posts here. If any of you guys have any suggestions I am all ears.

I am pretty fustrated at the moment. Many thanks.
I got it. The tang end of one of the levers was hung up - almost like as shown in this photo from earlier in the thread.

Dual 701.jpg
Anyway it looks like back I am back up and running. Now to do some listening tests..

Oh man.. I played one side of an LP. At the end, it properly cycled off - but when the tonearm set back down on the rest, it began lifting up and setting back down repeatedly. Now it is just doing that in a non-ending loop.

So something must be out of place in the linkage I'm thinking at the cam gear.

I hope to be able to take a look at this later today. So frustrating!

My first piece of advice is not to get too frustrated otherwise you lose the ability to think and act rationally.
The second thing that comes to mind is that little metal ball that the OP lost (if I remember correctly), and may have done the same there.
Look carefully at the photos because they seem to highlight just what (and how) is needed.