Dual 701 turntable assembly problems

Hi All
Servicing a Dual 701 turntable and detached the Cam wheel the wrong way.
Now I got these two small parts (#146 Pawl and #145 Tension spring)
1000004784.jpg

And have no idea how to fit these. Service manual doesn't give any help, so do we have a Dual expert here?
I think it must be close to this, but where to attach the spring?
1000004785.jpg

Any help appriciated

Attachments

• 1000004784.jpg
    1000004784.jpg
    348.8 KB · Views: 32
Can the following image help you in any way?

Edit to add: may be you can't see the spring, but it looks like that small part needs to be inserted upside down compared to your pic.

Attachments

• sshot.png
    sshot.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 70
Last edited:
What I always think of with this kind of mechanical device is some poor fellow has designed it by drawings and then hand made a prototype and fiddled with it with a pair of pliers and some files, tweaking and filing those pressed steel bits and fiddling with springs, to make it work every time. - before setting them up for production.

With due respect, I don't think so. By 1972, when the 701 emerged into the market, Dual was one of the biggest TT manufacturers in the whole wide world, if not the biggest at all, and had some huge amount of experience with automatic TT's and record changers. The definitively didn't need to »fiddle« around with something.

Best regards!

Reactions: 1 user
Of course, I was being semi-facetious, although I'd imagine there would indeed be some tweaking to the first production parts that may not always work as intended; say, an automatic tonearm stopping half way. I guess should have added a smiley face, but if you have to do the joke has failed.

I'm sure most people on diyaudio know about Dual. I've almost bought a couple of their tables, but resisted as we don't have many in this country so there are few to choose from. I am always amazed at mass production of things and how they get them to work reliably. I was imagining a little balding German guy with glasses and a leather apron...

I took apart the whole dashboard of my son's car a few weeks ago and made the comment to him to imagine...somebody had to design all this to fit together...as I found out when putting it back together. Everything worked first time and the airbags didn't go off.

Last edited: