DSP Xover project (part 2)

Dahlberg, keep us posted I think its a great idea. How will you connect to Najda ?
How do you power the beagle bone then ?

The connection is supposed to be over i2s the same way the WaveIO connects.
Losing the I2s-usb / usb-I2s conversion all together seems
to tempting to just disregard it.
Using the same power supply, 1083 pre-regulator followed by

The TPS7A47 Eval Board | H i F i D U I N O

Maybe I will end up with Salas SSLV later on, BBB doesn't take
that much current (max 470mA).

Have to buy one first though, they seem to be sold out everywhere.
The project isn't that high on the prioritylist either so........:cool:

LCD Cape for BeagleBone Black ‐ Touch Display http://http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/43-LCD-Cape-for-BeagleBone-Black-Touch-Display-p-1592.html?cPath=6_113

Features
4.3’’ TFT LCD Display, 480x272 Resolution
7 push buttons, including LEFT, RIGHT, UP, DOWN, ENTER, RESET and POWER
2 LED’s, one to indicate Power and one for User, which could be configured as required
Fully compatible with existing drivers already written for the Beagle Bone.
4DCAPE-43T (Resistive Touch version)
3.5mm mounting holes, enabling standard M3 screws/bolts to fasten the display to an enclosure, panel or an alternative mounting solution
Powered directly from the BeagleBone Black, no additional power required

I can see opportunity!!!

I have a dream :cool: about the next generation of "Najda" in a distant future
where the processor is powerful enough to hold both replay and dsp functions.
Everything built in to one powerful chip.
Connections for music storage, usb and network. Basically everything that
the combination of what has been discussed for the last couple of
pages is capable of.
Freescale has some flagship processors that migth be usable for such a
product, at least I think so but I migth be way of here :eek: .

Just received the Meanwell RT-50B power supply. Can other users here comment on how much noise it makes. I just connected it to the mains - nothing else - and get a constant hissing sound, surprisingly noisy. Plugged it out straight away, tried a few times. Is this normal? Once boxed up I expect it is quiet enough that I will not notice it, I hope.

Assuming this noise is normal, can anyone please help me with the wiring?
Part Datasheet

CH1 5V
CH2 12V
CH3 -12V

1 live
2 neutral
3 earth
4 NC
5 DC OUTPUT V3
6 DC OUTPUT +V2
7 DC OUTPUT COM
8 DC OUTPUT +V1

So I have connected UK 240V mains to 1,2,3.
Now, the connection to Najda is as follows?
4 ?
5 12V-
6 12V+
7 ?
8 5V+

NUC 1.0.3 nsf file handling problem?

I probably find in NUC 1.0.3 nsf file handling error.
If in one channel I had maximum EQ sections (15 PEQ) then suddenly, after I changed section parameters, I get double sections (2 same frequency sections) when reopening nsf file. If I delete one of double section, saved setup file and reopen it, then deleted section was actually not deleted but last section on channel was deleted. It had happened twice, solution was to delete all sections from channel and define new sections from zero.
Had anyone find same?

Just received the Meanwell RT-50B power supply. Can other users here comment on how much noise it makes. I just connected it to the mains - nothing else - and get a constant hissing sound, surprisingly noisy. Plugged it out straight away, tried a few times. Is this normal? Once boxed up I expect it is quiet enough that I will not notice it, I hope.

Hm. Haven't tired that supply, so I hope someone will show up with hands-on experience and comment on this. I know this supply doesn't want to work without delivering the specified minimal current. Maybe this is connected? Might be worth testing with dummy loads.

Assuming this noise is normal, can anyone please help me with the wiring?
Part Datasheet

CH1 5V
CH2 12V
CH3 -12V

1 live
2 neutral
3 earth
4 NC
5 DC OUTPUT V3
6 DC OUTPUT +V2
7 DC OUTPUT COM
8 DC OUTPUT +V1

So I have connected UK 240V mains to 1,2,3.
Now, the connection to Najda is as follows?
4 ?
5 12V-
6 12V+
7 ?
8 5V+
Never trust anybody for this sort of things. Get your meter and check by yourself (trust me for that though ;) )

You need anyway to read voltages in open-circuit before you connect the Najda.

I probably find in NUC 1.0.3 nsf file handling error.
If in one channel I had maximum EQ sections (15 PEQ) then suddenly, after I changed section parameters, I get double sections (2 same frequency sections) when reopening nsf file. If I delete one of double section, saved setup file and reopen it, then deleted section was actually not deleted but last section on channel was deleted. It had happened twice, solution was to delete all sections from channel and define new sections from zero.
Had anyone find same?

Please update when you can to V.1.0.4 (although there hasn't been any change on file handling).
I'm not sure I understand the issue. I understand you mean the nsf file is wrong though.

So you load a file with 15 biquads, save the nsf file and all is fine.
Then you load another file with again 15 biquads overwriting the previous settings for the same channel, and when you save again then the nsf file is corrupted. Is that what you mean?

I will probably need your files so that I can reproduce the issue on my setup.

[About the expansion board] Hi Nick, any news :D ?
Done! Finished yesterday. Please give me some extra time to double check the whole thing. Won't be (too) long.

So you load a file with 15 biquads, save the nsf file and all is fine.
Then you load another file with again 15 biquads overwriting the previous settings for the same channel, and when you save again then the nsf file is corrupted. Is that what you mean?

I will probably need your files so that I can reproduce the issue on my setup.
No.
I made file with 15 biquads on one channel, change biquad parameters and save file (more than 10 times) and if later I open same file again, I had double biquads with different G. When I deleted on of doubled biquads, save file, then open file again, it was actually not deleted but deleted was last biquad on channel.

I had not preserved nsf with errors as I needed working one and corrected faulty channel by deleting all biquads and made new.

Last edited:
Hi sacs,

I suppose Pin 7 should be connected to GND.
Measure the voltage with a multimeter between the ground pin and each voltage pin.
Double check voltage and wiring before connecting the PSU to the Najda Card, see document Apendix B : Power supply wiring and header pinning

Hi guys, I did not want to measure by randomnly sticking test leads into the SMPS. That could be harmful could it not? What does NC or COM stand for? Should 12V and 5V share the negative? Be advised I have no idea - I have only used the simplest DC connections previously.

OK, I measured;
7 (COM) and 8 (+5V) and got 5.05V. So that should be OK to connect?
+V2 and COM, got 11.93V
V3 and COM, -11.9V
Measured across 5 and 6, 4 and 5, then 4 and 6, and got non readings.

So the following may be right?
live 1
neutral 2
earth 3 /in turn connect to chassis?

NC /4 ? - do not use, redundant
V3 /5 12V- NAJDA
+V2 /6 12V+ NAJDA
COM /7 5V- and 12V ground (two cables sharing, both to NAJDA)
+5V /8 5V+ NAJDA

No.
I made file with 15 biquads on one channel, change biquad parameters and save file (more than 10 times) and if later I open same file again, I had double biquads with different G. When I deleted on of doubled biquads, save file, then open file again, it was actually not deleted but deleted was last biquad on channel.

I had not preserved nsf with errors as I needed working one and corrected faulty channel by deleting all biquads and made new.

Alright, for some reason I thought this was related to custom biquad files.
What do you mean with 'double biquads'? You set 15 biquads in the GUI, how many do you get in the nsf file?

Hi guys, I did not want to measure by randomnly sticking test leads into the SMPS. That could be harmful could it not? What does NC or COM stand for? Should 12V and 5V share the negative? Be advised I have no idea - I have only used the simplest DC connections previously.

OK, I measured;
7 (COM) and 8 (+5V) and got 5.05V. So that should be OK to connect?
+V2 and COM, got 11.93V
V3 and COM, -11.9V
Measured across 5 and 6, 4 and 5, then 4 and 6, and got non readings.

So the following may be right?
live 1
neutral 2
earth 3 /in turn connect to chassis?

NC /4 ? - do not use, redundant
V3 /5 12V- NAJDA
+V2 /6 12V+ NAJDA
COM /7 5V- and 12V ground (two cables sharing, both to NAJDA)
+5V /8 5V+ NAJDA

Earth to chassis: YES
NC = Not Connected
COM = Common (?)
The readings are fine, safe to connect.
Your connecting strategy seems fine too. Please make sure you have the document with the wiring at hand :)

What do you mean with 'double biquads'? You set 15 biquads in the GUI, how many do you get in the nsf file?
I mean EQ section/biquad with same frequency as 'double biquads'. I made all biquads on unique frequency, but suddenly get two biquads with same frequency. I not open nsf file with xlm editor only used NUC.
I remember that first I understand that something is wrong as during biquad parameter tuning suddenly measured SPL line get strange, bigg hole where before was all OK. Then I closed nsf and reopened it again and find two biquads with same frequency with different G. I think error is related to DSP settings update when NUC connected to DSP and nsf file handling .

Last edited:
Hi all,
Having purchased the Nao Note II speaker plans I then purchased the MiniDSP 4X10 software so that I could read the Xover and PEQ coefficients. For each Xover there are four PEQs per channel. I used the following on Najda;
Classic
96khz
select channel, click "file", and upload - success

However, now there is no option to upload further files containing the coefficients for the PEQ. If I click "file" again, the xover is deleted and replaced with the PEQ.

I tried sticking the PEQ coefficients in the Xover file got a fail message - "Too many coefficients found...."

Any ideas please?