DSP Xover project (part 2)

Hi Steve,

Easy. Hmmm do you want a FIR setup or a IIR one?

Case FIR: Load 0 coefficient for all channels except ch 9 & 10. See NUC manual.
Load everywhere else a single coefficient: 1 (one) for pass-through or whatever if you want to EQ.

Case IIR: Load custom biquad file with just 0 (zero) for all channels except 9 & 10
EQ as you want on chans 9 & 10

For both cases above, connect your DAC to SPDIF 9&10

Cheers

Nick

Ah - will try those and see.
Not sure about where to disable so good that you have attached a file - will try that later when I get home:)

Actually there's a much simpler way to achieve that: just disable the channels that connect to your loudspeakers.

Attached is a setup (change extension .txt to .nsf) for what you need: 48 kHz FS, channels 1 to 8 disabled, Left input routed to ch.9 and Right input routed to ch. 10.

Connect your headphones DAC to SPDIF 9/10.

Cheers,

Nick

View attachment 436720

My simple solution was for X/O on channels 1-8 as for my normal set up and off on 9 & 10 and using the SPDIF on 9/10. I of course get clean full bandwidth output on 9 and 10 but protect the others.
Now if I have my amps on and by accident flick to Headphone setup on Najda it would play with safe crossovers for my drivers but at 48KHz.

Last edited:
Hi, I have one question about ext. relay ;

From Najda manual;

II.5. External Relay Command Najda can control an external relay through its dedicated isolated port. This feature has been devised to connect and disconnect your speakers from your power amps – but it can be used to control any external electrical equipment.

- can I connect 30V to this connector ?

- and, how do you place any wires into connector ?

Last edited:
Hi, I have one question about ext. relay ;

From Najda manual;

II.5. External Relay Command Najda can control an external relay through its dedicated isolated port. This feature has been devised to connect and disconnect your speakers from your power amps – but it can be used to control any external electrical equipment.

- can I connect 30V to this connector ?

- and, how do you place any wires into connector ?

I recently wondered the same thing. See below:
You can simply snap in a pair of stripped wires into the remote connector.

More details on this connector here.

If im reading the data correctly from the link then it can easily handle 30V, If it can take a a few hundred volts at high current? Seems a small component to switch that amount of power.

I now have this temporarily set up with 12v and a relay controlling a contactor to switch heavy duty amplifiers. I find this a great feature - just one click on the remote to fire up the whole system and no need for contortions to reach the power switch on the sub.

The bear wires lock into the connector when you push the spring loaded clips.

Thanks Nick, for great convenience.

Hello everybody,

I'm really interested in the Najda DSP for the following project I'm planning:
A integrated solution of HTPC->DSP->Amps (8 channels). While I mainly want the amps for active 3-way front speakers, I would also like the ability to do room correction etc. on all 8 channels for multi-channel input (e.g. 7.1 home cinema). I'll want to do something in-between: 3-way front speakers and two remaining outputs for rears (with passive crossovers).

Somewhere around page 100 of this thread you guys already talked about a possible multi-channel I2S-input instead of only stereo. Is this still a possibility that is being pursued?
This is basically the only deal-breaker preventing me from getting the Najda and it is the only board that offers a remote chance of an all-digital processing chain as far as I can see.
I could then go from a USBStreamer or other device that's offering 8 channel I2S outputs to the Najda without any conversions in-between.

The only other option I see for my application would be an analog 7.1 output and something like a miniDSP 8x8 for crossovers and corrections, but that would introduce an unnecessary AD/DA conversion that I'd like to avoid... plus I really like the small footprint of the Najda as an 8 channel DSP+DAC solution as I want to fit all of the above mentioned into one not-too-big case.

I'd happily play the test subject for such an 8 channel I2S chain ;)

As a little followup on my question/suggestion above: An alternative to multi-channel I2S might be the ADAT format via a single Toslink connection (aka Lightpipe). As far as I can see, the new USBStreamer firmware supports this. This would make 8ch 24bit/48khz connectivity possible via a single optical connection, also allowing for greater distances than the few cms of i2s. This also seems to be a firmware/software only issue. Are there any DSP-devices out there, already implementing this or thinking about that? Najda by any chance?

Hello,
Voici quelques photos de mon Najda.

Congrats Pat for this very nice build! :)

Hello everybody,

I'm really interested in the Najda DSP for the following project I'm planning:
A integrated solution of HTPC->DSP->Amps (8 channels). While I mainly want the amps for active 3-way front speakers, I would also like the ability to do room correction etc. on all 8 channels for multi-channel input (e.g. 7.1 home cinema). I'll want to do something in-between: 3-way front speakers and two remaining outputs for rears (with passive crossovers).

Somewhere around page 100 of this thread you guys already talked about a possible multi-channel I2S-input instead of only stereo. Is this still a possibility that is being pursued?
This is basically the only deal-breaker preventing me from getting the Najda and it is the only board that offers a remote chance of an all-digital processing chain as far as I can see.
I could then go from a USBStreamer or other device that's offering 8 channel I2S outputs to the Najda without any conversions in-between.

The only other option I see for my application would be an analog 7.1 output and something like a miniDSP 8x8 for crossovers and corrections, but that would introduce an unnecessary AD/DA conversion that I'd like to avoid... plus I really like the small footprint of the Najda as an 8 channel DSP+DAC solution as I want to fit all of the above mentioned into one not-too-big case.

I'd happily play the test subject for such an 8 channel I2S chain ;)

As a little followup on my question/suggestion above: An alternative to multi-channel I2S might be the ADAT format via a single Toslink connection (aka Lightpipe). As far as I can see, the new USBStreamer firmware supports this. This would make 8ch 24bit/48khz connectivity possible via a single optical connection, also allowing for greater distances than the few cms of i2s. This also seems to be a firmware/software only issue. Are there any DSP-devices out there, already implementing this or thinking about that? Najda by any chance?

Indeed the Najda hardware supports multichannel input via I2S and indeed this is not implemented in firmware/software.
There were talks about what to do with this option, but actually there's not much demand for multichannel input support I'm afraid.
It would be pretty quick to set the I2S receiver end so that it accepts up to 8 channels - but the difficult thing is about the processing path: what kind of processing do we allow on these new input channels while keeping the whole system homogeneous and rational.
As for ADAT, the digital receiver does not support this protocol.
Krotko mowiac, there's currently no plan to support what you're looking for, sorry.

Nick

Hm, I'll probably still get the Najda and add a miniDSP if needed for multi-channel. Unfortunately the miniDSP needs a regular poti for volume control. As I have a good Alps Motorpotentiometer lying around (10kOhm linear), is there any possibility of connecting it to the Najda or will I have to get a rotary encoder (probably your control boards)? In that case the Najda and a parallel miniDSP (that I already have) would be incompatible or is there a cheap solution to ocnvert my poti into a rotary encoder?

Hm, I'll probably still get the Najda and add a miniDSP if needed for multi-channel. Unfortunately the miniDSP needs a regular poti for volume control. As I have a good Alps Motorpotentiometer lying around (10kOhm linear), is there any possibility of connecting it to the Najda or will I have to get a rotary encoder (probably your control boards)? In that case the Najda and a parallel miniDSP (that I already have) would be incompatible or is there a cheap solution to ocnvert my poti into a rotary encoder?

There's no way to convert a pot into a rotary encoder. The latter is a relatively cheap part though, roughly 2 Euros or Dollars.
The encoder is optional with the Najda: you can also adjust the volume with the up and down buttons or with the remote controller.

Now if you need to control simultaneously the volume of both the Najda and another board, then this is going to be rather complex.

Sometimes I'm getting emails from users or potential users with the pictures of their project. Quite often it's really nice and I'm thinking "damn! why don't they post this on a forum so that other people can see it?" - not mentioning that I have issues with my email box flooding.

This time I asked if I could post the pics myself, I can't be the only one seeing this. This project by Alex from Latvia is really gorgeous: plain and classy :)

1small.jpg

2small.jpg

3small.jpg

Alex is a member of this forum.

Cheers

Nick

Last edited:
Sometimes I'm getting emails from users or potential users with the pictures of their project. Quite often it's really nice and I'm thinking "damn! why don't they post this on a forum so that other people can see it?" - not mentioning that I have issues with my email box flooding.

This time I asked if I could post the pics myself, I can't be the only one seeing this. This project by Alex from Latvia is really gorgeous: plain and classy

Thanks for the nice review of my project

hi Nick,
really a nice build!! Congratulations to Alex. As soon that I am finishing my build I will also upload some pics. Still working with the appropiate Player for the Najda. At the Moment HQ-Player seems to be the best in combination with Win 2012 R2 and the Highend-Pc optimizer!
and Exa-U2I as USB-I2S converter. Sound Quality is awesome. Next step is to try an NAA ( network audio adapter) as link between the Audi-PC and the NAA who is only used as streamer for the audio files, thus isolating audio from the "noisy" PC. we will see what happens with regard to SQ, which with our actual system is amazing!!! Congratulations Nick for this wonderful project.
Regards

Sigi

At the Moment HQ-Player seems to be the best in combination with Win 2012 R2 and the Highend-Pc optimizer! and Exa-U2I as USB-I2S converter.

Hi Siginitz,

You should try Daphile, I use it with a WaveIO card connected to Najda via its I2S isolated output.

Daphile ? Digital Music Convenience for Audiophiles

I found this solution it much better than Windows 7 / Foobar ASIO.