Drop in replacement for NE5532?

Hi spirovious,
Actually, I do know exactly what you mean. I haven't figured this out, but Yamaha does tend to miss "the weight" of some other brands. I wish I knew what it was.

-Chris

Maybe capacitors or the power supply ?
I think it is down to "current capability".

If the load demands more current than the amplifier/PSU can comfortably supply, the voltage collapses.
This is something that tends to NOT show in frequency plots.

A similar mechanism to that at play when R.Cordell talks about current clipping.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well, I know it doesn't have anything to do with supply capacitance in this case. IT isn't op amps either.

This issue is part of the "Yamaha" sound. The older receivers didn't have it (CR-2020 for example). The AX-500u had it in spades. I think it has to do with the actual design of the amplifiers.

-Chris

You are correct about the internal DAC. It is poorer than my external DAC. With the analog input ( as I use it ) it sounds fine. You have a 'direct audio' option. I guess you do use that.
Yes,I have used all possible ways including using Parametric eq which helps to some level.Other brands do produce fuller sound though not as perfect as DAC.
Yamaha has certainly good sound,but why cant it produce little weight at least?:rolleyes:
I checked manual again and found the other side of PCB has whole through caps(not SMD).

33tq8m9.jpg

post DAC section-

a4wjdu.jpg

Last edited:
Single sided Phenolic resin pcbs with oodles of links is not the most optimum layout for high bandwidth opamps but the Japanese still like to use them.

cheers
Today I got some time and I checked my Yamaha RX-V667-

Its other side of PCB-
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Closer look-

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

DAC section uses some nichicon VR(M) 10uf, some SMG(regular and KZ) and one fine gold series near DAC chip.Is that SMG from United chemi con capacitor?
I cant see ceramic caps.:confused:

Power caps are only 6800uf-

Now will changing to better nichicon (from VRM to other series) can improve it much?
please share your views.

Thanks.

...I think it is down to "current capability".

If the load demands more current than the amplifier/PSU can comfortably supply, the voltage collapses.
This is something that tends to NOT show in frequency plots...

I believe this to be the case also. Not to derail the thread, but it is an interesting sidetrack.

Yamaha has economised on power supplies since the early 1980s. Their transformers were notably smaller, lighter and they had considerably looser (softer) rails that were almost always running at higher unloaded voltages than similarly rated gear from other manufacturers.

As such, they had high transient power but seemed to always lack the goods in the long term. That seemed to translate to less authority in the bottom end and a leaner overall presentation. FR plots with Yamaha gear are almost always rolled off a little in the bottom end too. Not drastically, and not where you'd think the effect would be grossly audible, but, when combined with the PSUs they used, I believe the combination made the Yamahas sound the way they did.

I also believe that FR plots at 1watt used by all manufacturers, were a complete waste of time and had the manufacturers been brave enough to plot full rated power FR plots, we'd have been able to sort the sheep from the goats. Half power power bandwidth results were often obscured, hidden or fell in quite a large +/- envelope or were not spec'cd at all. I usually run full rated power FR plots on old gear now and it is very illuminating.

I sold a lot of new Yamaha gear in the late 80s/early 90s and even though I also bought a bunch of it too, it never really wowed me.

Virtually every piece of vintage Yamaha I repair these days from the same era exhibits a very slight low end rolloff, whereas competing gear rarely does (with the exception of early 90s Rotel)

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
It is on paper one of the best (measurements show that). Still there are better opamps out there, at least sound wise. Don't use anything else than NE5532 if you listen to you measurement equipment. Only if the NE5532 are original ones I would let them be but any other one goes in the bin. I sometimes see chinese branded NE5532 marked opamps. Those are no real NE5532 but behave more or less the same, they don't sound good. NE5532 and NJM4580 seem to be the workhorses in audio ;)

Using JFET input opamps comes to mind as JFET input opamps offer some other benefits as a bonus. Check all parameters !! Anyway when using other opamps one must take care for good decoupling. NE5532 is/was quite forgiving but many other opamps are more picky.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I have measured a lot of modern op amps. The 37 year old NE5532/34 is still the best one. The old audio engineers had the best expertise. Please show me better measurements!

It is on paper one of the best (measurements show that).

Original TI ones measure extremely well, if not the best of all audio opamps. Too bad that it is not always TI ones that are used in equipment. Besides that I have used better sounding (not measuring) opamps. I stopped using opamps but I like, for instance, LME49860 better than NE5532.

I am very aware that this is a controversial area but even though NE5532 measurements are best why would one even think of buying discrete built opamps etc ? Let's just call it flavour....Before you know it hell breaks loose and we will see hundreds of posts repeating what has been said in the past about opamps...

Last edited:
The first thing that I noticed with audio gear some 30+ years ago was that the Dolby playback would reduce the noise, however, it also lost most of the details in the music.
I still refer to that when I am swapping and changing things around; everything is a trade-off, nothing is free.

I recently had to stop fooling myself when I replaced some ne5532 with popular discrete op amps. I had been looking at my crossovers to try and fix some audible phase issue between the two drivers, the discrete part fixed it, much to my surprise. Unique situation but unexpected result.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Please show your measurements. I always think NE5532 and 5534 are on totally different levels. NE5534 is much better.

The 5532 is two 5534's with the comp cap internal and no external offset adjust pins. But same opamp.
And the pdf diyralf linked to, from Samuel, says 'Excellent' about 8 or 9 times.....

Jan

Last edited: