Drive NOS AD1865/62,PCM1704/02/63,TDA1541 from FIFO: Universal I2S-PCM driver board

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Hello,

Seems more than some own the AYA. What did you think guys of the last note of P. Rogic about removing the two 2n2 Wima // filtering cap in the current outputt Jfet circuitry ?

Has any tried ? Having the I2StoPCM board as well without the above mod yet, I get the feeling to have a better low end but a poorer high end (up md to treble) ? Any thought after experienced it ?

About hacking the Ws at the inputt of the I2StoPCM board using only uf-l cable : is that possible ? In other words, does the I2StoPCM boards needs to have the WS inputed even if not catched at the outputt of the board : I would like if possible to uf-l direct from the ws outputt of the clock board to the inputt of the uf-l Lrck of the aya... is that ok please ? If yes I assume the uf-l cable should more or less be 8" if the 2 inputt and outputt Data and Bck of the I2StoPCM are 4" ohms (on each side) in order not to have a mismatch between Lrck and Bck at the feet of the tda1541a ?

I think I did exactly this with my AYA Dac
I like how it sounds after this fix.

A tweak - Community – Audial

Immagine-1.jpg

Last edited:
I would like if possible to uf-l direct from the ws outputt of the clock board to the inputt of the uf-l Lrck of the aya... is that ok please ? If yes I assume the uf-l cable should more or less be 8" if the 2 inputt and outputt Data and Bck of the I2StoPCM are 4" ohms (on each side) in order not to have a mismatch between Lrck and Bck at the feet of the tda1541a ?

I think best solution is if Ian kindly accept posted PCB's to mail box and updates the firmware to correct the timing issue. I'd pay postage both ways. Somehow I think chance of this happening is close to zero, as opportunity for this offer has past some time ago - 'timing is correct'. A shame, really.

HK

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I2StoPCM

Hello Hanze,

You finally didn't apply your tip on your's ?

Must say it's strange : I best like the Aya without the I2StoPCM if the tda is a S1 but like more with I2StoPCM if a a TDA 1541 Singapour late 90s chip.

First is more solid center imaging and musical, second is more dynamic, speedy, incredible tight bass with better resolution there and treble that climb highs without sibilance, very neutral :).

Ask myself how much that timing issue affect it if the files stays NOS (not oversampled in Audirvana, etc)...

Last edited:
Hi diyiggy,
I haven't yet hacked the board, mostly because its a pain to remove it from the chassis and partly because it seems a shame to have to 'hack' anything when the simple and best solution requires no hacking at all. Simple firmware update, so simple yet so elusive !.

HK

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I'm not surprised ;) ! ...And the clock board stay at 2 km from the dac chip with mutltiple length of uf-l wires in my case... jitter :scared: (that's maybe a part of the reason I like it in non PCM sim mode with a S1... shorter distance from th clock board : 4" unless a circa 10" with the I2StoPCM... fault to my lazyness to solder short wire and wanting shield around the wires.... though with all the pcbs , I think it catches all the nasty things anyway...

Last edited:
I really dont know the effect on multiple u.fl cable links or extended physical distance on signal integrity. But I think all in one solution should be better, and if they can get the timing right for 1541A in sim data mode, I would push the Ian gear to the side and buy one.

BTW, I bought some woks to front load some FR drivers >300Hz, Fc 204Hz, 185mm throat, 720mm mouth, le cleach profile :)

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
.. as i understand there is no alternative to i2stoPCM board from Ian for TDA1541?
I mean available ready kit solution to convert i2s to PCM (TDA1541 simultaneous mode)
Really sad that Ian don't want to fix it (accept not optimal realization let's say).

Of course not, there is the excelent Pedja Rogic AYA4 board, sim mode, usb embeded with uf-l and relay as choice at Audial, however he seems not to offer it unpopulated so it became expensive.

@ Hanze :Yeah, that's rock ! Faital 15PR400 below that in the right enclosure (Tony Gee HumbleHomeMadehifi with his Calapamos for illustration or what maybe did Troel Gravsen... and why not a 18" Faital if <= 250 hz stiff low pass crossover - or the servo subs :) ... or the 18" open bafle if room too little but with a Linkwitz transform with a plate/DSP hypex FA device type... I wisch I had a job yet !

@ Andrea : but your Fifo will be not sim mode for the TDA1541A, will it ?

Last edited:
Of course not, there is the excelent Pedja Rogic AYA4 board, sim mode, usb embeded with uf-l and relay as choice at Audial, however he seems not to offer it unpopulated so it became expensive.

Nice, and I have exactly this DAC form Pedja Rogic. But as you mention, it's using it with USB. I don't need (like) USB interface in this regard. Do you think it is possible to adapt it to bypass USB with i2s instead? I wonder where to start. I Will appreciate any advice.

I think I need to contact Pedja Rogic directly.
From manual:
"Optionally, AYA 4 can provide PCM direct input to
TDA1541A, by using PCB U.FL connectors, and it can
accept I2S or simultaneous data protocol. The
information about such optional features is provided
separately, to the individual customers. "

Last edited:

@ Hanze :Yeah, that's rock ! Faital 15PR400 below that in the right enclosure (Tony Gee HumbleHomeMadehifi with his Calapamos for illustration or what maybe did Troel Gravsen... and why not a 18" Faital if <= 250 hz stiff low pass crossover - or the servo subs :) ... or the 18" open bafle if room too little but with a Linkwitz transform with a plate/DSP hypex FA device type... I wisch I had a job yet !

@ Andrea : but your Fifo will be not sim mode for the TDA1541A, will it ?

It's also PCM output so it can drive the TDA1541A in simultaneous mode.
There are 3 output format:
- I2S
- PCM
- Custom (for the new discrete DAC)
Virtually it can drive all DAC, although the best performance are reached with DAC that switches on LE signal.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Good news Andrea if it has two uf-l data outputt Sdr & Sdl, thanks to had a though to tda1541a owners :) Don' t remember, but the TDA1541A is able to switch on Le, no ?

@odessamarin : I have the AYA2 2014, but doesnt the AYA4 have like the 2014 a relay for bypass the USB area through uf-l -both i2s & pcm with a switch near the tda1541a- as mine has ? I think all is in the AYA 4 assembly manual ...

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I don't think so, the tda1541a accepts both I2S and PCM inputs...
The I2StoPCM has only some interrest because it permited sim mode on the tda1541A.
Any device that output I2S format works with the TDA1541A chip (and that's the purpose of the switch on the AYA 2 2014 and further AYA boards till today.However the I2S doesn't permit simultaneous mode... does it matter really if you have a a single crown or double crown chip is another matter.... as I said when it comes to musicality the sim mode provided by the I2StoPCM board from Ian mode is not a clear winner (because its flaws about the timing and tda1541a?)... As I testimonied above it's more a trade off choice... especially when it comes about sound-stage, t least in my home.

Last edited: