Douglas Self PreAmp 2012

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dave,

Great looking job - especially the chassis. That's were I put a lot of attention when I built mine 2 years ago, but not near as much as you have. It really does look stunning. It will be a work of art that I'm sure you're father-n-law will cherish for years.

It's clear to see your very methodical approach in planning and executing the project. It took me well over 6 months to build mine. I pretty much did the standard build with no mods. I'm a stickler for details too as I really loathe a half-a$$ approach to anything I put my signature on. FPE did my panels too and they turned out terrific looking. My build is chronicled here.

Can't wait to see the finished product! I wish I knew just how many of us DIY'ers built this preamp. It turned out to be way more costly than I first thought and took me way longer too. :) But in the end, I was very pleased with how it turned out - both in looks and the way it sounds. You'll be surprised at how much gain this sucker has. Almost too much. I suppose there's a mod that would fix it, but I don't want to mess with Doug's design. ;)

Rick

Dave,

Great looking job - especially the chassis. That's were I put a lot of attention when I built mine 2 years ago, but not near as much as you have. It really does look stunning. It will be a work of art that I'm sure you're father-n-law will cherish for years.

It's clear to see your very methodical approach in planning and executing the project. It took me well over 6 months to build mine. I pretty much did the standard build with no mods. I'm a stickler for details too as I really loathe a half-a$$ approach to anything I put my signature on. FPE did my panels too and they turned out terrific looking. My build is chronicled here.

Can't wait to see the finished product! I wish I knew just how many of us DIY'ers built this preamp. It turned out to be way more costly than I first thought and took me way longer too. :) But in the end, I was very pleased with how it turned out - both in looks and the way it sounds. You'll be surprised at how much gain this sucker has. Almost too much. I suppose there's a mod that would fix it, but I don't want to mess with Doug's design. ;)

Rick

Thanks Rick! To be honest, I followed your thread last year for inspiration. My power cables will be almost the same colour! ;) I was just going to use unscreened twisted pairs for my signal wiring, but I noticed you used screened cable. The original article says to just use twisted pairs - what do you think?

Yes, I'm quite pleased with my mechanical design. This is one of the most complicated projects I've worked on with respect to the mechanical aspect. It's hard to visualise everything in Front Panel Designer - I had to do some slight filing to get everything to fit. BTW, 0.2mm is not enough clearance for plastic in aluminium :rolleyes: Those little discs had to be filed to an interference fit :D

Yeah, I also would like to know how many built this. The PCBs and parts were quite expensive - now I know why Elektor didn't bother with a case! I agree that the gain looks like it's going to be high +/- 10dB boost/cut on the bass/treble! That's alot...

I'll keep you posted on the build... I'm waiting for those new red LEDs for the front panel...

Dave.

Last edited:
Heliman,
did the turned pin sockets take the dip packaged chips without modification?

I'm not sure what you're getting at here? Yes the DIP chips fit into the sockets without any issues. The sockets are high-quality with gold-plated terminals. Obviously you have to bend the pins in slightly and be sure that they don't fold under the chip body - standard practise really ;)

Thanks Rick! To be honest, I followed your thread last year for inspiration. My power cables will be almost the same colour! ;) I was just going to use unscreened twisted pairs for my signal wiring, but I noticed you used screened cable. The original article says to just use twisted pairs - what do you think?

Yes, I'm quite pleased with my mechanical design. This is one of the most complicated projects I've worked on with respect to the mechanical aspect. It's hard to visualise everything in Front Panel Designer - I had to do some slight filing to get everything to fit. BTW, 0.2mm is not enough clearance for plastic in aluminium :rolleyes: Those little discs had to be filed to an interference fit :D

Yeah, I also would like to know how many built this. The PCBs and parts were quite expensive - now I know why Elektor didn't bother with a case! I agree that the gain looks like it's going to be high +/- 10dB boost/cut on the bass/treble! That's alot...

I'll keep you posted on the build... I'm waiting for those new red LEDs for the front panel...

Dave.
One thing I did do that's not pictured in my thread, was to change the volume knob to a bigger one. This was done at the suggestion of another member, and does make the front of the pre look much nicer. Sets the volume apart from the the other controls, which it really should be. Once I get it out of storage and back into operation, I'll take a picture of it and post. Right now I'm just trying to finish my new man-cave, listening, media room, office space in my basement - which is taking way longer than it should. None of my regular gear is set up except a small system at my make-shift desk in our dining room. - Rick:(

One thing I did do that's not pictured in my thread, was to change the volume knob to a bigger one. This was done at the suggestion of another member, and does make the front of the pre look much nicer. Sets the volume apart from the the other controls, which it really should be. Once I get it out of storage and back into operation, I'll take a picture of it and post. Right now I'm just trying to finish my new man-cave, listening, media room, office space in my basement - which is taking way longer than it should. None of my regular gear is set up except a small system at my make-shift desk in our dining room. - Rick:(

Um... yeah... I see what you're saying, but I already engraved the little pips to show start/centre/end of travel :confused: All 6 knobs are Multicomp 20T-2D, I guess I could try a 25 or 30mm to see if I like it. The volume knob is pitched a little wider than the rest so I matched the pitch at the power switch to the first knob on the rotary switch PCB. I really liked the idea that all the controls look the same and the control legends are marked on the long perspex panel. The interior of the case will also be illuminated and so these will be easier to see. there are 7 controls; From left to right, they are: Power, Level LED select, Input Select, Bass, Treble, Balance and Volume. Bass is at the centre-line of the panel.

I'll give it a go though, and do some pondering and some umm-ing and ahh-ing :D

Dave.

Larger Knob

Dave,

Here's a pic with the larger knob.

Attachments

• P1080629.jpg
    P1080629.jpg
    603.2 KB · Views: 597
That does look better, but it seems that you had already put your position markers at a greater diameter from the dials. I'll order the 25/30mm knobs and try them.

Dave.
Since this was an after-thought, after I had already had the front panel done, the position markers were the same as for the smaller knobs, because that what I thought I would be using. You'll notice the markers are closer to the bigger knob. Not my usual anal self and details, but acceptable. :)

I obviously went with black knobs too. That was a bit unconventional, but I think it gives it a more distinctive overall look. I have silver knobs, but just liked the black a little better.

Rick

Since this was an after-thought, after I had already had the front panel done, the position markers were the same as for the smaller knobs, because that what I thought I would be using. You'll notice the markers are closer to the bigger knob. Not my usual anal self and details, but acceptable. :)

I obviously went with black knobs too. That was a bit unconventional, but I think it gives it a more distinctive overall look. I have silver knobs, but just liked the black a little better.

Rick

Hi Rick,

It's a good looking preamp. I'll stick with the silver knobs, but I have ordered some larger diameter ones to play with ;-)
You didn't give me your view on using screened or unscreened cable for the internal wiring... any thoughts?

Cheers,

Dave.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.