Dome tweeters that compete with good ribbons?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Also a lot of dome midranges have large face plates and/or magnets which limits how small you can get the centre-to-centre spacing with the tweeter and therefore how high you can cross to the tweeter without compromising off-axis response.

Tell me about it! Most 2" dome mids are as big as 5,25" cone drivers. Center-to-center distance 11 cm, x-over at 4,5 kHz and resulting vertical listening window about 10 degrees... But the horizontal polars, 92 dB/W/m sensitivity and that smooth 1...3 kHz make up for it.

Another con for dome mids is that they tend to give more diffraction effects in that 1...3 kHz range than cone mids due to their wide dispersion. You can see that from the below graph too (16x26 cm baffle with 1,2 cm chamfered edges).

Attachments

• vert_off-axis.png
    vert_off-axis.png
    39.3 KB · Views: 443
I'd like to see if I could make a quick left turn here ... As the OP, I had a secondary mission. I have gathered a list of interesting tweeters mentioned in this thread, and a couple of others. I'm going to use one of these in my new 3-way, Pro driver, active DSP build. My mid can play happily to, and past 3000hz. So that is not an issue. Anyone wanting to offer opinions, I am all eyes. :D

Arum Cantus AST2560
Beyma TPL-150H
Beyma TPL75
Dayton PT2C-8
Dayton AMTPRO-4
BG Neo8 PDR
Arum Cantus AST25120

Thanks for all of the suggestions. These large, Pro 3-ways are being made to seriously rock. They are among the best Pro drivers, without getting insanely priced. So I need a high efficiency tweeter, which can hang with these LOUD drivers. And I'm just not interested in domes. I love my Heils, and am looking for an upgrade to them. I would only be interested in the largest RAAL ribbons, and I can not afford those.
I would prefer to go with one of the AMT choices, if possible, or Beyma style maybe. Unless I have overlooked something obvious, I think the list is long enough ;)

Whatever I choose, will be mated up with these mid range drivers ...

https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/294-651-bc-speakers-6md38-specifications.pdf

Last edited:
Ah hah ! We have a vote. Thanks, Bill. ;) Too bad, it's not one of the more efficient ones. But it is cool looking. LOL

I haven't heard ANY of these. So I love hearing from people who have heard some of them. It's going to be the only way I really have of getting a direction on buying a pair of one of the listed.

Last edited:
I have narrowed down my choices to only two. I am either getting the Arum Cantus AST25120, or the Beyma TPL-150H. I'm sticking to the high efficiency, "play loudly, while sounding detailed and refined" approach. And I believe these two give me the best chance at at that. While I love Mundorf's products, the AMT29 is just too costly for me to justify. And it is the only one I would want to use in this application.
I'm kind of leery of that waveguide on the Beyma, mostly due to ignorance. But not if it definitively sounds better. :D

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.