Does this explain what generates gravity?

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Galu, re post #3999, the reason I asked that question is linked back to Einstein's thought experiment about being accelerated at 1G in space in a non gravitationally bound regime is the same as standing on Earth. However, on Earth we can say there is a huge mass (the Earth) that warps space time but in space when a body being accelerated at 1G there is no huge mass. So what is going on here? I asked this question some months ago wrt the Higgs as well.

However, on Earth we can say there is a huge mass (the Earth) that warps space time but in space when a body being accelerated at 1G there is no huge mass. So what is going on here?

Accelerating a body at 1 g in a "non gravitationally bound regime" involves thinking of acceleration purely in spatial terms.

Applying the same spatial thinking to the Earth, we could say that gravity is caused by its surface continually accelerating outward at 1 g!

Instead, we must consider that gravity on Earth is due to acceleration that arises because of the warping of time caused by the mass of the Earth.

That's all I've got. As I said earlier I should like to understand more about spatial and temporal curvature.

Principle of equivalence.

Einstein realised that a person who accelerated downward along with a freely falling ball would not be able to detect the effects of gravity on it.

An observer can "eliminate" gravity simply by moving to the accelerated frame of reference. Hence gravitation is equivalent to acceleration. This is the principle of equivalence.

Gravity is remarkable in that it affects all masses the same way - a 10 kg ball will fall with the same acceleration as a 1 kg ball.

If gravity were like electricity then balls with more charge would undergo a larger acceleration and there would be no way to "eliminate" this effect by moving to the same accelerated frame of reference for all objects.

From this Einstein inferred that gravity does not depend on the properties of matter. Instead he realised that the phenomenon of gravity must emerge from some property of spacetime.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I often wonder what people walking down the street, or even gathered round a table, are looking at so intensely on their mobile 'phones. Surely they should be more importantly watching out for cut-purses and the like and, if scientifically inclined, Novae?

These are poor devices, IMO requiring a magnifying glass to even read. Me, I use a proper PC for my very significant contributions to the company of anonymous strangers, often criminals IMO, on 'teh Interwebs.

I suspect many of you here post from mobile 'phones. Well, I say: DON'T! Use forum software fully for good posts. (y)

I have solved or resolved the time-dilation mystery discussed earlier:

0:47:18.5 SC: But there's a clever little switch that comes in there, and I will tell you what that switch is. So think about the twin paradox. I hate calling it the twin paradox, 'cause it's not a paradox. It's a thought experiment, the twin thought experiment, and you've probably heard of this before. Two twins, so they're exactly the same age roughly, not exactly, but they're roughly the same age 'cause they're twins, and one of them stays home, doesn't leave the earth, just sits around, lives their life. The other one hops in the space ship and goes out and near the speed of light and then comes back. And the prediction of special relativity, which has been verified in various indirect ways, is that the age of the twin who goes out on the rocket ship and then comes back, will be noticeably less if they went out near the speed of light when they return than the age of the twin who stayed behind. In other words, slightly more carefully, the elapsed time along the path that zooms out close to the speed of light and then zooms back is less than the elapsed time of the person who just stayed behind.

0:48:25.9 SC: Now, this should maybe ring a tiny bit of a bell, because you know that in good old Euclidean geometry, in space, there is a maxim that says the shortest distance path between any two points is a straight line. If you give me any two points in space, I can construct all sorts of curves connecting them, literally an uncountable infinite number of curves connecting them, but there is a unique one that has the shortest distance along it, and it happens to be the one that we call straight. So when you have two points in Euclidean space, when you say, "The distance between them," you are implicitly meaning the distance along the shortest path, the straight line path, but distances along other paths are uniformly going to exist and be longer. Any non-straight path has a longer than the shortest possible distance. So Minkowski is saying something like that is exactly what's going on in the twin thought experiment, except there is a minus sign that sneaks in.

0:49:27.4 SC: The right way to think about the twin thought experiment is the twin who stays back on Earth is more or less moving on a straight line in the space-time. The twin who gets in the rocket is not moving in a straight line. They move in a straight line in the first segment of their journey, but then they turn around and come back. So their path as a whole is bent there when they turn around and come back. And they experience less time, and no matter what they do, no matter what kind of path they took, if they went in spirals or whatever, did crazy different things, the twin who goes out and does not move on a straight line always experiences less time. So the time you experience is kind of like the distance along a curve. The time you experience in space-time is analogous to the distance of a curve, the length of a curve in Euclidean geometry, except with the new rule, that instead of saying the shortest distance path is a straight line, it's the longest time elapsed is a straight line in space-time. So the personal time that you experience, what relativists would call the proper time, the time that actually clicks off on your wristwatch or your smartphone or whatever, is different in special relativity than it was in the Newtonian world, because in the Newtonian world, time is just absolute.

https://www.preposterousuniverse.com/podcast/2022/09/19/211-solo-secrets-of-einsteins-equation/

See, it's the twin who stays at home who is moving in a straight line in Spacetime and experiences more time passing. The travelling twin is moving (and accelerating) in a curve so ages less.

For this, Einstein was better off adopting Minkowski space:

0:52:01.0 SC: Minkowski says, "Take two points in space-time, they are now separated in time as well as in space, so by an amount T as well as an amount X and Y and Z, 'cause two points in space-time might be located at different points in space and different points in time." And he says, "If you travel between them, between those two events in space-time, the elapsed time squared, 'cause it's a Pythagoras-like kind of relation, so the elapsed time squared is T squared minus X squared minus Y squared minus Z squared." So it's kind of like Pythagoras. Pythagoras says, "X squared plus Y squared plus Z squared." Minkowski says, "T squared minus that, minus X squared minus Y squared minus Z squared." And this is the Minkowski metric on space-time. This is a way of measuring intervals in space-time, it's not the Euclidean way. The Euclidean way would be plus plus plus, X squared plus Y squared plus Y squared. The Minkowski way is plus minus minus minus plus T squared minus X squared minus Y squared minus Z squared.

0:53:12.7 SC: And from that simple idea that what you and I experience as time elapsing is a geometric quantity that will depend on the path you take through space-time, that's the origin of all of special relativity. You can derive all that stuff about length, contraction, and time dilation, and all that kind of thing, all from this single idea the Minkowski had, that you put a minus sign and otherwise elapsed times are kind of like distances traveled, but in space-time, not in space.

My next consideration will be that the rate of time flowing depends on both the gravitational potential and the kinetic energy or speed of a particle. Think uncharged particle orbiting a black hole... how hard can it be? :)

Best Steve, Portsmouth, UK. Posting from my Linux PC in 1080p.

I've seen Steve's "mystery" better quoted:

"In space, a straight line describes the shortest distance between two points.
In spacetime, by contrast, a straight path yields the longest elapsed time between two events."

And I've found this brief explanation of the second statement:

"Space and time have opposite signs in the spacetime (pseudo)metric. That means that in Minkowski space [flat spacetime] the "distance squared", ds^2 = −dt^2 + dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2, can become negative. So the "shortest distance" corresponds to the "longest time" in the same way that, say, -20 is smaller than +10 or even -10."

Apparently, for flat spacetime, straight lines representing massive objects are ones which maximize dt^2 and minimise the other terms.

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/737811/in-spacetime-a-straight-path-yields-the-longest-elapsed-time-between-two-event#:~:text=In space, a straight line describes the shortest,yields the longest elapsed time between two events.

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I would imagine the shortest path between two objects can never do anything but follow space time curvature.

If I understand it correctly :-

Imagine two objects in space moving along next to each other. You shine a light from one object to the other. But, the objects are moving (EVERYTHING is moving in the universe). The path traced out by the beam of light is not the apparent shortest path, but (per your earlier post) it’s the world line path which will be longer than the apparent shortest path. The time is as measured by the light-time.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I've seen Steve's "mystery" better quoted:

"In space, a straight line describes the shortest distance between two points.
In spacetime, by contrast, a straight path yields the longest elapsed time between two events."

And I've found this brief explanation of the second statement:

"Space and time have opposite signs in the spacetime (pseudo)metric. That means that in Minkowski space [flat spacetime] the "distance squared", ds^2 = −dt^2 + dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2, can become negative. So the "shortest distance" corresponds to the "longest time" in the same way that, say, -20 is smaller than +10 or even -10."

Apparently, for flat spacetime, straight (time-like) lines representing massive objects are ones which maximize dt^2 and minimise the other terms. https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/737811/in-spacetime-a-straight-path-yields-the-longest-elapsed-time-between-two-event#:~:text=In space, a straight line describes the shortest,yields the longest elapsed time between two events.

Wikipedia has this to say: "In Minkowski space there is only one geodesic that connects any given pair of events, and for a time-like geodesic, this is the curve with the longest proper time between the two events": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geodesics_in_general_relativity
I’ll have to read that later 😊

OK...gotta throw in my bit here...
I have read only a tiny fraction of this discussion, so apologies if someone already mentioned this, but has it occurred to anyone that it is possible no human has the capacity to understand the finer points of our existence? Perhaps we are like the ant crawling on a sidewalk...it has no clue or hope of being able to understand the surface it is travelling on, or where it came from.

Mike